SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 11 May 2009, 20:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianj View Post
I just saw ďThe Thin Red LineĒ again last night for the first time since it came out in theaters, and I just have to take issue with anyone including that in this thread. What an utterly worthless, rambling, and self-indulgent jerk-off of a movie.
Agreed. I was pissed I wasted 2 hours on that bullshit. The book is good, though.
Old 17 May 2009, 13:33

Here's one you may never seen. . .

An Australian cult classic: The Odd Angry Shot. . .about the Australian SAS in Viet Nam. Funny as hell . . Aussie humor, of course. Stars Graham Kennedy and Bryan Brown. Made in the late '70s. It was required watching when on duty in the troop lounge. I served with those guys on an exchange program. The movie is pretty accurate.
Old 17 May 2009, 13:56
Confirmed User

I enjoyed parts of "Tears of the Sun"

I like some of the action, the overall story wasn't all that great, being that it is fiction.

I think I'm just a sucker for Hawaiian jungle footage.
Old 17 May 2009, 14:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
the overall story wasn't all that great, being that it is fiction.
Is it just me or does it seem that hollywierd canít seem to make a military action flick anymore unless there is some kind of rescue theme to it?
Old 17 May 2009, 14:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
Is it just me or does it seem that hollywierd canít seem to make a military action flick anymore unless there is some kind of rescue theme to it?
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. Black Hawk Down didn't have a rescue theme to me, it was pretty damn good. Neither was "We Were Soldiers". But on the fiction side, perhaps rescue themed is all they can think creatively on.

The action scenes in Pearl Harbor were pretty well done to me, the majority of the non-action scenes and plot were terrible.

But one of my favorite Vietnam movies was rescue themed, Bat-21, even though they took some liberties making it, it's a great story to me.
Old 17 May 2009, 14:36
Confirmed User

If rescue is to mean some kind of humanitarian angle then yea "Tears of the Sun" has a parallel to "Three Kings" minus the plans of theft, both ended up being about saving civilians from slaughter.
Old 17 May 2009, 14:44
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. Black Hawk Down didn't have a rescue theme to me, it was pretty damn good. Neither was "We Were Soldiers".
Interesting...

Black Hawk Down was about rescuing TF Ranger guys who ended up in a shitstorm. Think about it...most of the movie is about getting the force out... "rescuing" them.

The thing about a rescue type theme is that it automatically gives drama. Think about the Colonel in We Were Soldiers who had to consider if he should call birds in to pull his men out or continue the fight... at least the hint of a possible rescue attempt...

It's about drama... and desperation and a need for rescue is a pretty easy way to create drama and tension.
Old 17 May 2009, 15:15

Favs:
The Lost Battalion
Generation kill
Valkyrie
Tears of the Sun
Band of Brothers

Worst:
Bravo Two Zero
The Marine
Old 17 May 2009, 15:39
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan359 View Post
Favs:
The Lost Battalion
Generation kill
Valkyrie
Tears of the Sun
Band of Brothers

Worst:
Bravo Two Zero
The Marine
What didn't you like about Bravo Two Zero?
Aside from the production values... it was, after all, made for TV.

BTW, the UK version had a better soundtrack than American DVD release version.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 17 May 2009, 15:50
Been There Done That

I judge my movies by the standard of if it pops up on cable while I'm flipping through the channels, what is the likelihood I stay on that channel and watch the rest of the movie regardless of how many times I have seen it. The standard doesn't work too well regarding obscure movies that never are shown on cable, but I can just theorize on my response all the same. Here's some of them:

The Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
The Beast
Full Metal Jacket
The entire Band of Brothers series
The Green Berets
Catch-22
The Great Escape
Saving Private Ryan
Blackhawk Down
Old 17 May 2009, 17:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
Interesting...

Black Hawk Down was about rescuing TF Ranger guys who ended up in a shitstorm. Think about it...most of the movie is about getting the force out... "rescuing" them.
I fully concede that. But as I asked him what he meant by rescue. They weren't rescuing hostages or refugees as the other two examples I mentioned.
Quote:
The thing about a rescue type theme is that it automatically gives drama. Think about the Colonel in We Were Soldiers who had to consider if he should call birds in to pull his men out or continue the fight... at least the hint of a possible rescue attempt...

It's about drama... and desperation and a need for rescue is a pretty easy way to create drama and tension.
I agree.
Old 17 May 2009, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
What didn't you like about Bravo Two Zero?
Aside from the production values... it was, after all, made for TV.

BTW, the UK version had a better soundtrack than American DVD release version.
Didn't see the movie. Just a note about B20 actual: Andy McNabb is basically PNG'd from the Regiment. I'll leave it to your imagination as to the "why."
Cheers.
Old 17 May 2009, 18:44
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODFPJ View Post
Didn't see the movie. Just a note about B20 actual: Andy McNabb is basically PNG'd from the Regiment. I'll leave it to your imagination as to the "why."
Cheers.
The "why" is obvious... he talked about Fight Club.
Just because British law has a loophole that allows you to publish books, talking about a classified operation, doesn't make it okay.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 18 May 2009, 10:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. Black Hawk Down didn't have a rescue theme to me, it was pretty damn good. Neither was "We Were Soldiers". But on the fiction side, perhaps rescue themed is all they can think creatively on.

The action scenes in Pearl Harbor were pretty well done to me, the majority of the non-action scenes and plot were terrible.

But one of my favorite Vietnam movies was rescue themed, Bat-21, even though they took some liberties making it, it's a great story to me.
We Were Soldiers and Band of Brothers was one of the few where I didnít notice it. I thought that and Band of Brothers were some of the best two out in a while.

BHD was a great movie but the scene in the beginning where the guy is talking about being there to make a difference just puts a slant on it. Saving Private Ryan once again a good action flick but these Rangers have to save one guy so they can get the right to go home. Also seems a huge movie flaw to start off with Ryan alive, old, and remembering and then go to the beach where Ryan wasnít even at.

Tears of the Sun same shit, this guy is a SEAL and all he can feel good about in his entire career is saving some villagers.

To me it just seems the just try to push a view that nothing the military does is worthwhile unless they are out saving someone.

I didnít see a lot of the other movie listed so I canít say and it seems to be a newer trend compared to stuff like Apocalypse Now or Green Berets
Old 18 May 2009, 11:38
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Just because British law has a loophole that allows you to publish books, talking about a classified operation, doesn't make it okay.
He lied. B2O is fiction.
Old 18 May 2009, 12:47
Confirmed User

Saw Taken again last night.

While it does follow the rescue theme hinted at here, I thought it was an entertaining film.

Hopefully there will be a sequel/prequel which includes more of his team.
Old 20 May 2009, 03:50

Quote:
He lied. B2O is fiction.

Was the movie B20 based on the book? I read the book. Parts of it were braggadocio, I thought.
Old 20 May 2009, 04:03

Quote:
B50,
Rog. I was being facetious. Unlike some of us, the "loophole" in their case is not having to sign an NDS.
Old 20 May 2009, 19:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
We Were Soldiers and Band of Brothers was one of the few where I didnít notice it. I thought that and Band of Brothers were some of the best two out in a while.

BHD was a great movie but the scene in the beginning where the guy is talking about being there to make a difference just puts a slant on it. Saving Private Ryan once again a good action flick but these Rangers have to save one guy so they can get the right to go home. Also seems a huge movie flaw to start off with Ryan alive, old, and remembering and then go to the beach where Ryan wasnít even at.

Tears of the Sun same shit, this guy is a SEAL and all he can feel good about in his entire career is saving some villagers.

To me it just seems the just try to push a view that nothing the military does is worthwhile unless they are out saving someone.

I didnít see a lot of the other movie listed so I canít say and it seems to be a newer trend compared to stuff like Apocalypse Now or Green Berets
I agree for the most part. I don't put Band of Brothers in the same category, since it was a TV mini-series and not a movie. But as far as thematic aspects and quality I agree.

I haven't watched the Green Berets in years. I only respect Apocalypse Now for some of the filming techniques on the technical side of things. The story was crap and had an obvious bias to it.

I don't mind Full Metal Jacket, I still feel it had some of the same bias geared to it that Apoc Now and Platoon had.

I liked "Rules of Engagement" for what it was, nothing spectacular. I've never read the book though.
Old 23 May 2009, 13:35
American Infidel

Comcast has a Cat. for War Movies and Military this month. Full Metal Jacket, Patton..ect is on Demand. I know I sound like a F-ing commercial, but the Family sat last night and watched.

"I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby." -Walt Kowalski

Our new posting rules