Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 21 September 2017, 11:05
Confirmed User

DISABILITY RATING

I have a few questions on ratings. A few months ago i went to my first appointment in Nashville and was awarded 20% for my right shoulder, my left shoulder and both knees was awarded but at 0%. Can anyone shed more info on this. My right ankle which i thought had the most documentaion from service records was not awarded. i will appeal but did not understand the 0% rating. Some background, was in the USMC infantry from 84-90 and have had joint problems since but since at my early age could still function and i was never in combat i never did apply till after i was 50 years old. Now days i am having more pain as in every day so i applied.
The next question is I go next week for my 1st local apt in Hopkinsville Ky and they did give me a list of things to bring, Any other thoughts on what I need to do at this appt.
thank you
david
Old 21 September 2017, 11:13
Unemployed Stunt Double

A 0% rating means that the VA determined that you have a service-related disability with that body part, but that the disability is not currently affecting your ability to work. The 0% leaves open the possibility that the affected part may one day affect your ability to work.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet65 View Post
I have a few questions on ratings. A few months ago i went to my first appointment in Nashville and was awarded 20% for my right shoulder, my left shoulder and both knees was awarded but at 0%. Can anyone shed more info on this. My right ankle which i thought had the most documentaion from service records was not awarded. i will appeal but did not understand the 0% rating. Some background, was in the USMC infantry from 84-90 and have had joint problems since but since at my early age could still function and i was never in combat i never did apply till after i was 50 years old. Now days i am having more pain as in every day so i applied.
The next question is I go next week for my 1st local apt in Hopkinsville Ky and they did give me a list of things to bring, Any other thoughts on what I need to do at this appt.
thank you
david
One of the main things is you waited to long after you got out.
I am fighting the same thing on my leg an back.

IF you have been to any private Dr. for the problem get that information an take with you.

Good Luck
Old 21 September 2017, 12:16
Confirmed User

THANK YOU, for the replies.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:52
Been There Done That

A zero percent is still a good thing. They are agreeing that there is a problem and that care will be covered, although you may not get additionally paid. I was very interested in the medical care being covered down the road because as we age the insurance and doctors seem to only get more expensive.
Old 21 September 2017, 14:28
BTDT

I have been retired for several months. My major issues were well documented before I got my retirement physical and my claim was built and ready to file the day my name came off the active duty rolls.
I still don't have a response or rating to speak of and have even received additional QTC packets to go get things looked at.
In fact... the QTC doc found something new that wasn't claimed, pt it on the report and said I should claim it.
VA rep helped me modify the claim and I was sent back to the same QTC doc to get re-examined for the claim; the same issue that HE FOUND AND DOCUMENTED but yet the system still put me through the 3rd degree to prove that I have a problem.

Nothing is too good for our veterans - and that is all they are going to get.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 21 September 2017, 18:30
Been There Done That

Everyone all ready hit on the 0 rating. To reinforce that I was given a 0 rating on one foot upon retirement. Later that foot required surgery. They give me a 100% TEMPORARY rating while convelescening. Afterwards I received an upgrade to 10% on that foot.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 21 September 2017, 23:01
Confirmed User

You can file a claim with the V.A. up to SIX (6) months prior to being discharged. The claim will be processed an can be approved unless additional information is required. You will not receive your disability until discharged.
Old 21 September 2017, 23:21
The Sagacious One

I think I have posted this here before, but of all my injuries, I received 0%, knee surgery shoulder separations, broken hip, Ruptured TM. = 0% My VA findings were like the New York Phone Book.

Then the last 1/3 of a page stated:
Your personnel records show that you were awarded the master parachutist badge, requiring a minimum of 65 jumps.

Your whole body Xray showed 85% of all of your joints are moderately to severely impacted by degenerative arthritis. We find that this is due to the parachute duty performed.

I got 20% each for Ankles, Knees, hips, back, and shoulders. For a VA total of 60%. Go figure.
Old 22 September 2017, 08:20
Confirmed User

thank you all for the replies
Old 22 September 2017, 09:40
Authorized Personnel

TFG, that fact is overlooked a lot. It's not supposed to be but it is and is normally caught on appeal.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 22 September 2017, 09:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

I'm on short final for retirement, and trying to soak up every last bit of info on the process, etc, from those who have the experience behind them. Most all of what I learn comes from conversations with retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Then the last 1/3 of a page stated:
Your personnel records show that you were awarded the master parachutist badge, requiring a minimum of 65 jumps.

Your whole body Xray showed 85% of all of your joints are moderately to severely impacted by degenerative arthritis. We find that this is due to the parachute duty performed.

I got 20% each for Ankles, Knees, hips, back, and shoulders. For a VA total of 60%. Go figure.
Had you ever sought military medical attention for all the joints you got 20% for, prior to your consult with the VA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
TFG, that fact is overlooked a lot. It's not supposed to be but it is and is normally caught on appeal.
What, specifically, is caught on appeal?
Old 22 September 2017, 10:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I'm on short final for retirement, and trying to soak up every last bit of info on the process, etc, from those who have the experience behind them. Most all of what I learn comes from conversations with retirees.
I put down 13 items that my VSO rep found in my medical record. The five that were denied were denied because they "were not chronic in nature", because I didn't go to medical for each injury at least three times. If it is in your medical record that it bothered you three times then they consider it "chronic in nature". I didn't appeal the rating(s) because I really didn't/don't feel I'm all that fucked up.

This is helpful so that you know the "buzzwords" to say during the evaluation. https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp

Be sure to mention any recreational things you used to do that you no longer participate in due to the injuries/pain. That plays into the ratings, how it impacts your everyday life.
Old 22 September 2017, 11:24
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I put down 13 items that my VSO rep found in my medical record. The five that were denied were denied because they "were not chronic in nature", because I didn't go to medical for each injury at least three times. If it is in your medical record that it bothered you three times then they consider it "chronic in nature". I didn't appeal the rating(s) because I really didn't/don't feel I'm all that fucked up.

This is helpful so that you know the "buzzwords" to say during the evaluation. https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp

Be sure to mention any recreational things you used to do that you no longer participate in due to the injuries/pain. That plays into the ratings, how it impacts your everyday life.
That's good gouge, thanks!
Old 22 September 2017, 11:45
Been There Done That

I can only speak for the Army's transition process having recently gone through it. As Forestboy stated, the VSO is the way to go. The VA brief you get during transition barely mentioned the VSO's (VFW or American Legion). Using the VSO's was feedback given to me by recent retiree's and COA I went with. The VA brief and follow up counseling provided very little insight with the forms etc.

The VSO went through my med records, did an interview covering head to toe, and areas I wanted to claim. He scanned my records, walked me through the forms and uploaded the claim on the spot. I got the 'receipt' that the VA received my claim while meeting with the VSO. He then gave me a heads up of what to expect over the next two months. He also covered in Layman terms how the VA computes claims etc.

I also used OASIS, they reviewed my med records, provided me feedback on areas they felt I could claim based on substantiated information in my records and even areas that I could claim but lacked sufficient medical history to warrant a claim. I then had some follow on exams conducted on those areas that didn't have sufficient history if they were still an issue I was experiencing. I was advised to list them regardless on my VA claim that a 0% on record for a claim can benefit me down the road.

I went through OASIS prior to my meet with the VSO rep. OASIS is not a VSO. They are a non-profit that provides assistance to anyone that served in SOF. They make annual visits to all the main SOF locations and pretty regular visits to Bragg, Little Creek, Coronado, Hurlburt, and where the SF Groups are located.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 22 September 2017, 12:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I also used OASIS, they reviewed my med records, provided me feedback on areas they felt I could claim based on substantiated information in my records and even areas that I could claim but lacked sufficient medical history to warrant a claim. I then had some follow on exams conducted on those areas that didn't have sufficient history if they were still an issue I was experiencing. I was advised to list them regardless on my VA claim that a 0% on record for a claim can benefit me down the road.

I went through OASIS prior to my meet with the VSO rep. OASIS is not a VSO. They are a non-profit that provides assistance to anyone that served in SOF. They make annual visits to all the main SOF locations and pretty regular visits to Bragg, Little Creek, Coronado, Hurlburt, and where the SF Groups are located.
I used OASIS as well [ oasisgrp dot org ]. If you have the opportunity to attend one of their briefings, I would wholeheartedly say that it will be time well-spent. They hold one-on-one sessions after their briefings where they will walk through your records with you to help identify issues and claimable items.

Last edited by bkkman; 22 September 2017 at 12:41. Reason: Cleaned up some writing
Old 22 September 2017, 13:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
What, specifically, is caught on appeal?
What is caught on appeal is normal MOS based, not reading entire records or misidentifying combat zones or awards.

Certain MOSs and additional skill identifiers can get you a VA phyiical where other MOS won't. Hearing is one contention. Say you are infantry, you have a high probability of hearing damage and you will get a hearing test based solely on MOS where an PAC clerk will have a low probability of hearings loss and will not get a hearing test based on MOS. However if said PAC clerk is a jump master, he could be scheduled for a hearing exam. i do not have the manual in front of me or I could be more specific.

Hit me up me up on PM, I can help to certain degree but won't be able to look at your file

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

Last edited by 10thvet; 22 September 2017 at 13:26.
Old 22 September 2017, 14:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
As Forestboy stated, the VSO is the way to go. The VA brief you get during transition barely mentioned the VSO's (VFW or American Legion). Using the VSO's was feedback given to me by recent retiree's and COA I went with. The VA brief and follow up counseling provided very little insight with the forms etc.
I do not know if she is still there, but the lady that was the rep for the Military Order of the Purple Heart at Fort Drum helped me with my claim. She e-mailed me the receipt within a couple of days of submission of the claim. It was less than 90 minutes in her office and it went very easily for me. Submitted the end of Feb 2014, C&P exam end of April, decision at the end of June, 1st check deposited Aug. The back pay for the months covering January-June took until September/October of 2015, roughly 14 months from the date of decision. That timeline may be longer or shorter now.
Old 22 September 2017, 17:51
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
What is caught on appeal is normal MOS based, not reading entire records or misidentifying combat zones or awards.

Certain MOSs and additional skill identifiers can get you a VA phyiical where other MOS won't. Hearing is one contention. Say you are infantry, you have a high probability of hearing damage and you will get a hearing test based solely on MOS where an PAC clerk will have a low probability of hearings loss and will not get a hearing test based on MOS. However if said PAC clerk is a jump master, he could be scheduled for a hearing exam. i do not have the manual in front of me or I could be more specific.

Hit me up me up on PM, I can help to certain degree but won't be able to look at your file
Thanks!
Old 22 September 2017, 19:18
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkman View Post
I used OASIS as well [ oasisgrp dot org ]. If you have the opportunity to attend one of their briefings, I would wholeheartedly say that it will be time well-spent. They hold one-on-one sessions after their briefings where they will walk through your records with you to help identify issues and claimable items.
If anyone is in North Carolina or Virginia/Maryland...the OASIS rep for that area is a friend and routinely travels to the Bragg area...feel free to PM me if you need their assistance
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

Our new posting rules