SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 27 November 2017, 23:19
Moving Target

VA Pension Question

I have a old friend from HS whos husband got out of the Army because of heart problems, he is now on a pacemaker and cant work. He took the VA pension about 11 years ago and has not been able to work because of it, my question is, can he cancel the pension somehow and file a claim for unemployability which will pay him 100% which is around $3000 .00 a month instead of the $1075.00 he is getting from the pension?
Old 27 November 2017, 23:33
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I have a old friend from HS whos husband got out of the Army because of heart problems, he is now on a pacemaker and cant work. He took the VA pension about 11 years ago and has not been able to work because of it, my question is, can he cancel the pension somehow and file a claim for unemployability which will pay him 100% which is around $3000 .00 a month instead of the $1075.00 he is getting from the pension?
Is he getting VA disability, or is he medically retired from the Army?
Old 27 November 2017, 23:37
Moving Target

all I know is he is getting a pension but not VA dissabilty and he didnt retire.
Old 27 November 2017, 23:39
Unemployed Stunt Double

I need to know the source and type of pension to answer. Generally, a person can terminate a pension if they really want to.
Old 27 November 2017, 23:40
Moving Target

He got a medical discharge yes
Old 27 November 2017, 23:40
Moving Target

Ill get more info and get back to you tomorrow. Thank you very much
Old 27 November 2017, 23:52
Never to old to learn

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I need to know the source and type of pension to answer. Generally, a person can terminate a pension if they really want to.
I agree with you yes it can be done, But there lies the problem, the individual would have to start a request for Disability from day one.in the mean time he will not have an income

There is no guarantee that they will give him 100%.

I would talk to a DAV rep an ask a lot of questions.
Old 28 November 2017, 00:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
I agree with you yes it can be done, But there lies the problem, the individual would have to start a request for Disability from day one.in the mean time he will not have an income

There is no guarantee that they will give him 100%.

I would talk to a DAV rep an ask a lot of questions.
In this case it sounds like he would be going on unemployment.
Old 28 November 2017, 06:01
Authorized Personnel

I don't see a need to try and stop the pension, that would be automatic if the new claim is approved.

If the heart condition is service connected, that would be the key to more money.

As the Wildman says, have him go see a Service Officer for assistance.
Old 28 November 2017, 15:28
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
In this case it sounds like he would be going on unemployment.
can he cancel the pension somehow and file a claim for unemployability which will pay him 100% which is around $3000 .00 a month instead of the $1075.00 he is getting from the pension?

on-employability is different from unemployment a Veteran can have 80% disability & 20% unemployable which = 100% for pay, you can not apply for one a disability while haven a pension.
catch 21, there are some changes coming but I have not seen the published up date it will be out sometime after the first of the year, from what the V.A. has stated
Old 28 November 2017, 16:56
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
can he cancel the pension somehow and file a claim for unemployability which will pay him 100% which is around $3000 .00 a month instead of the $1075.00 he is getting from the pension?

on-employability is different from unemployment a Veteran can have 80% disability & 20% unemployable which = 100% for pay, you can not apply for one a disability while haven a pension.
catch 21, there are some changes coming but I have not seen the published up date it will be out sometime after the first of the year, from what the V.A. has stated
I emailed someone at the V.A Regional Office asking some question, about this. Hope to have an answer soon.
Old 28 November 2017, 20:36
Been There Done That

Bottom line is his Heart Condition Service Connected? If not the whole question is null and void. Then he has to have one disability at 60% to even be eligible for Unemployability.
Fox Colt you really need all the background on these type of questions before you come here and ask for help. If you do not have the information ask a Service Officer, like the VFW, DAV or whoever.
Old 29 November 2017, 17:22
Never to old to learn

VA Announces Rollout and Application Process for New Veterans ID Card
11/29/2017 04:00 PM EST

VA Announces Rollout and Application Process for New Veterans ID Card
WASHINGTON — Today the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service.
This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor Veterans, and today’s rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.
Only those Veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide proof of military service, and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD-214 form to obtain promotional discounts and other services where offered to Veterans.
“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for most Veterans to show proof of service,” said VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, Veterans with honorable service to our nation will no longer need to carry around their paper DD-214s to obtain Veteran discounts and other services.”
The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated time in service, but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the armed forces, including the reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) can request a VIC.
To request a VIC, Veterans must visit vets.gov, click on “Apply for Printed Veteran ID Card” on the bottom left of the page and sign in or create an account.
Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of their cards at vets.gov. A digital version of the VIC will be available online by mid-December.

The below link is the link for all information

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?t...et.cfm?id=3979

VA VETS PENSION RATES foxcolt13 this is for is for you

https://www.vets.gov/pension/rates/
Old 29 November 2017, 21:35
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Bottom line is his Heart Condition Service Connected? If not the whole question is null and void. Then he has to have one disability at 60% to even be eligible for Unemployability.
Fox Colt you really need all the background on these type of questions before you come here and ask for help. If you do not have the information ask a Service Officer, like the VFW, DAV or whoever.
His heart condition is service connected. Im not sure yet what type of pension he is getting.
Old 29 November 2017, 21:40
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
His heart condition is service connected. Im not sure yet what type of pension he is getting.the guy was only in the Army for 8 months.
Old 29 November 2017, 22:13
Never to old to learn

Quote:
His heart condition is service connected. Im not sure yet what type of pension he is getting.the guy was only in the Army for 8 months.
Provide the information to him I PM you some info to give him. he can keep his Pension while he files for Disability they will pay the larger amount of the claim.
Old 29 November 2017, 22:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
He should be able to receive SSDI along with his VA payments at the same time without losing either - unless there is something else going on?

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-854R
Old 29 November 2017, 22:27
Moving Target

Thanks everyone. He is calling my lawyer and filing a claim. They really need the money because his wife is out of work with Addisons disease and she isnt getting SSDI yet so they are in a fix right now.
Old 30 November 2017, 00:47
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Thanks everyone. He is calling my lawyer and filing a claim. They really need the money because his wife is out of work with Addisons disease and she isnt getting SSDI yet so they are in a fix right now.

He doesn't need a lawyer to file a claim it will slow things down an cost him money have him read the web link below an he can file for additional money under Pension rates first an then file for Disability.

Our new posting rules