Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 23 December 2017, 08:34

advice needed

hey all
i am a recently qualified psd operative & am trying to start a serious carreer with it. i have very little experience except military & MOD contracts,i have been advised that there is a certain way to approach employers & that it is difficult to get started in this line of work. i am a british citizen & speak french aswell & was just looking for any pointers & also if its possible to work for an american company? my training was completed in texas,thanks in advance for any help
Old 23 December 2017, 10:27
Authorized Personnel

How are you recently qualified for PSD work? I take it you attended a High Threat PSD course here in the United States and they gave you a certificate?
Old 23 December 2017, 11:02
▄ber Equus Asinus

He's a Brit. I'm assuming he is referring to SIA Level 3 Certification (what the UK govt requires for someone to work in an Executive Protection capacity).
Old 23 December 2017, 11:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
He's a Brit. I'm assuming he is referring to SIA Level 3 Certification (what the UK govt requires for someone to work in an Executive Protection capacity).
That was my original assumption, but the end of the post states that he completed his training in Texas. No SIA training in Texas that I know of.
Old 23 December 2017, 11:22
▄ber Equus Asinus

your eyes are better than mine... I completely missed TX somehow..

Im not even aware of a nationally recognized EP/PSD training program in TX thats open to non mil/leo personnel..

There's the TX lvl 4 PPO course (state requirement for EP guys).. but thats all I am aware of..
Old 23 December 2017, 13:45
Confirmed User

If in the case you did a Level 3 SIA qualifying course in Texas (or elsewhere) and you get a SIA license, you can also use said card to get the French CNAPS card to work as CP in France (think Nice/Cannes/C˘te d'Azur). Definitely can potentially open more doors since you speak French.
Old 24 December 2017, 06:27

Yes I’ve got those cards aswell which I’ve come to understand are possibly useless but I’ve also got PSD as this is the reason i did it in texas. And your very correct they do not take civilians
Old 24 December 2017, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
How are you recently qualified for PSD work? I take it you attended a High Threat PSD course here in the United States and they gave you a certificate?
Yes 4 week intensive PSD hostile zones training & nra approved weapons
Old 24 December 2017, 06:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
your eyes are better than mine... I completely missed TX somehow..

Im not even aware of a nationally recognized EP/PSD training program in TX thats open to non mil/leo personnel..

There's the TX lvl 4 PPO course (state requirement for EP guys).. but thats all I am aware of..
3 yrs raf & 5yrs military & after contracted for mod,sorry i wrote it wrong
Old 24 December 2017, 07:43
Authorized Personnel

Who did you attend training with? What course did you take?
Old 24 December 2017, 12:43

Quote:
Who did you attend training with? What course did you take?
It was with preatorian bodyguard & it was the complete course.ok so now all this is cleared up is there any chance of any info ? Cheers
Old 24 December 2017, 14:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemonkey View Post
It was with preatorian bodyguard & it was the complete course.ok so now all this is cleared up is there any chance of any info ? Cheers
Never heard of the training company you attended. They are full of red flags though...

FYI, not sure when you attended their training. However according to the TX Department of Public Safety, their license as a security training company expired in November. They may be in the process to renew, but I'm not seeing it. They are showing on the SIA page so that's a plus.

Long story short, you attended training that is not really recognized by anyone, at least here in the US, as a reputable training provider. I doubt this course will open any doors for you, as it didn't really qualify you to do anything. Sorry but it's the harsh truth. If you already had your SIA then you didn't really garner any value out of this program. Maybe they got you your Level 4 for the state of Texas, that you can check on your own through the TXPSB website.

Are you trying to do Executive Protection? Or are you trying to go do High Threat security? There's a big difference, and the requirements are not identical.

...this picture says all I really need to know about Praetorian...for a guy that's so concerned about showing his face, he sure appears in a lot of pictures...looking like a complete douchebag with that mask on.

Old 24 December 2017, 16:00
Anesthetized User

IM, are you a British citizen? Is English your first language?

Grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure etc etc. Methinks you would be surprised as to the populace of this board.

Subject-Verb Agreement, Dangling Participles, and all that shit.

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.
Old 24 December 2017, 16:19
Confirmed User

Icemonkey, with that company on your CV you might have an interesting time trying to get in the "door" at least with any UK or FR/EU companies, not impossible of course but because it's associated/affliated with IFS2I in France, which does not have a good reputation (to put it lightly) in France/EU. They were fined 30K Euro earlier this year for some naughty stuff, but looks like they are still operating as an entity.

If you can read French:

http://haute-savoie.gouv.fr/content/...l17recueil.pdf

Not sure what exactly the relationship is between Praetorian Bodyguard and IFS2I, but they seem to be pretty much of the same formula, if not same management. Clicking for the English version of IFS2I website leads directly to the Praetorian Bodyguard website.

For those that might be curious...

ifs2i-formation-securite.com

Last edited by cashonlycow; 24 December 2017 at 16:40.
Old 25 December 2017, 03:56
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post

Grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure etc etc. Methinks you would be surprised as to the populace of this board.

Absolutely 100++ what he said.

Mate, with your background, you are sure to know a Brit or two who has been on the Circuit. Reach out to them and get the good oil. You are a Brit that speaks French ... were you a Legionnaire?

IMHO from the point of view of a non US guy, you picked the wrong time to leave the service looking for work. Unless you have a US Passport, most recruiters are not even going to look at you, if they get passed your terrible writing skills.

So serious question, what are your other options? That is a question you need to answer for yourself.

My 5 cents worth on Christmas Day as a fellow Commonwealth bloke.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited by Old_Starlight; 25 December 2017 at 03:57. Reason: Typos from boat rocking.
Old 25 December 2017, 08:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonlycow View Post
Icemonkey, with that company on your CV you might have an interesting time trying to get in the "door" at least with any UK or FR/EU companies, not impossible of course but because it's associated/affliated with IFS2I in France, which does not have a good reputation (to put it lightly) in France/EU. They were fined 30K Euro earlier this year for some naughty stuff, but looks like they are still operating as an entity.

If you can read French:

http://haute-savoie.gouv.fr/content/...l17recueil.pdf

Not sure what exactly the relationship is between Praetorian Bodyguard and IFS2I, but they seem to be pretty much of the same formula, if not same management. Clicking for the English version of IFS2I website leads directly to the Praetorian Bodyguard website.

For those that might be curious...

ifs2i-formation-securite.com
Well Praetorian is licensed under Olga Gasser, the wife of Cyrille Gasser, who is supposedly the Director of Operations for IFS2I (according to his LinkedIn page).
Old 25 December 2017, 16:26
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Never heard of the training company you attended. They are full of red flags though...

FYI, not sure when you attended their training. However according to the TX Department of Public Safety, their license as a security training company expired in November. They may be in the process to renew, but I'm not seeing it. They are showing on the SIA page so that's a plus.

Long story short, you attended training that is not really recognized by anyone, at least here in the US, as a reputable training provider. I doubt this course will open any doors for you, as it didn't really qualify you to do anything. Sorry but it's the harsh truth. If you already had your SIA then you didn't really garner any value out of this program. Maybe they got you your Level 4 for the state of Texas, that you can check on your own through the TXPSB website.

Are you trying to do Executive Protection? Or are you trying to go do High Threat security? There's a big difference, and the requirements are not identical.

...this picture says all I really need to know about Praetorian...for a guy that's so concerned about showing his face, he sure appears in a lot of pictures...looking like a complete douchebag with that mask on.

"You, in the Browning ear pro, show me absolutely the worst grip you could take on a pistol......"

"Clear Sgt, Airborne!"

For Fuck's Sake
Old 25 December 2017, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post

Well i apologize profusely but i did not subscribe here to have my grammar corrected by university professors,and in my defense i have been speaking & writing another language for 12 years. Is it not customary for the jury to obtain all the facts about a person before condemning him /her?
Old 25 December 2017, 17:27
Been There Done That

Just reading this thread, but perhaps we can assist the OP instead of dog-piling the OP.
Old 25 December 2017, 18:08
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Just reading this thread, but perh
aps we can assist the OP instead of dog-piling the OP.
Before the fireworks start, let me interject for one moment. To the OP, although it is not apparent to you, those who criticized your grammar and spelling are actually trying to help you...the first impression you project must be that of an articulate, put- together professional. How you represent yourself in writing may be your one shot at getting further in the hiring process. So take the criticism as a blessing rather than a curse. As for the rest of the matter, I have no experience. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

Our new posting rules