SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 13 August 2007, 23:37
On the Extract Bird

Ok, with apologies to those on the board who have BTDT and don't need to puff. I've seen lots of puff pieces, unfortunately, and I did not mean to suggest that members here would do that. I opened mouth and inserted foot.

Mea Culpa.
Old 14 August 2007, 03:36
Policeman Officer

I haven't "BTDT", but I'm fine with that. I'll stand on my own creds before pretending to have some others, you know? No big deal though.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 August 2007, 10:59
On the Extract Bird

Massgrunt,

Does that mean I should take "Head Elf" (NON SEXUAL) of the Keebler Company off my resume?

Last edited by CAMedic; 14 August 2007 at 18:54.
Old 14 August 2007, 18:50
Policeman Officer

There's more than one kind of "Head" elf, if you know what I mean. :D
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 August 2007, 18:54
On the Extract Bird

HAHA! I never learn. Now I edited it.
Old 14 August 2007, 19:02
Confirmed Boozer

I'm a supervisor in the federal government ... I always take credit for what my guys do ...
Old 14 August 2007, 20:09
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Snowman
I'm a supervisor in the federal government ... I always take credit for what my guys do ...
That's cool. We blame you for our failings.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 23 August 2007, 15:40
Been There Done That

whlkiller are you still n Active duty or have you gotten out? eArmyU is a great deal also- I earned my BA from Thomas Edison State College in Trenton, NJ. They gave me credit for all my applicable military courses and accepted all the transcripts from the 7 colleges I attended while on AD.

To reiterate- doing online courses is not easy- especially if you have a family and work the hours that most military people put in. Don't forget the CLEP exams- they're free at the ED center and even if you fail one, you can take it again in 6 months for FREE! probably the same test too. Worth a shot- I got 27 hours of college in 7 hours of testing. Not a bad deal.
Old 18 April 2008, 16:29
Conquer Life.

Start this thread again

I've been looking very seriously into AMU for a Bachelor's in Intelligence Studies with a concentration in Intelligence Ops or Couter-Terrorism.

Also wondering if I should go the college route first or do SF.
My wheels are a little rusty and I've only been kicking doors since HS.

Please, remarks from those who have attended or have more experience? Thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks in advance.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 18 April 2008, 21:19
Scoundrel

I'm by no means an expert, but since neither 'intelligence ops' nor 'counterterrorism' are real diciplines, I would recommend you use your energies toward business, economics, history, some kind of engineering or even a physical science degree.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 19 April 2008, 09:08
Threading the Needle

I just completed enrollment at AMU for my BA in Buisness Administration, start June 2. I can honestly say I am more nervous about starting college than any military feat I ever faced.
Old 19 April 2008, 19:39
BTDT

Ranger discipline - works well for school

Hovy - after your first few classes, you will figure out that your military service has prepared you for college much better than if you had gone to college straight out of high school.

I felt the same way as you initially. After about two or three classes, I figured out that it wasn't really about having rocket scientist level intellect. It is mostly about having the discipline to do the work, to read the reading assignments, and to study for the tests.

Business degree - you chose well. Stick with it - no matter what. There will be times when you will have to give up television, liesure activities, taper back on the PT, etc. Do what it takes, get past it, and then you can do the things that you like.
Old 20 April 2008, 00:00
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but since neither 'intelligence ops' nor 'counterterrorism' are real diciplines, I would recommend you use your energies toward business, economics, history, some kind of engineering or even a physical science degree.
I've been hearing project management lately. Any thoughts on that?

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 20 April 2008, 10:56
BTDT

Project Management Professional (PMP) certification

Project management education and/or certification is very useful in a broad range of industries.

It is standard within mature industries such as IT, construction, etc.

It is simply a framework - just like the military operation order is a framework.

Instead of: situation, mission, execution, service support, and command & signal

Project management is organized into: scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communication, risk, and procurement.

As the security industry continues to mature, I expect more certified PMPs and degreed project management personnel (who also have the appropriate tactical background) to gradually float to the top of many companies within the security industry.

The core body of knowledge is known as the Project Management Body of Knowledge - published by the Project Management Institute.

www.pmi.org

PMP certification involves studying for a few hours a day for about three months and taking a 4 hour test - just like other standardized professional certifications like CPA for accountants, LPN for nurses, etc. There are many good 4 day prep courses available, but they should be considered a supplement to the study period I described above, not a substitute.

I personally know about 15 former military combat arms types (including myself) who were able to knock it out. Most of us chose to do it because we felt it was a necessary part of the re-tooling process for successful transition from the military world to the business world. It is worthwhile, and it is attainable if you just discipline yourself to study. About half of them had to take it twice, but you can't tell it from looking at their certificates :D

Last edited by Buck Fiddy; 20 April 2008 at 12:29.
Old 20 April 2008, 12:44
All Labs Matter

IMHO, PMP makes a lot of sense, for a lot of people, in a lot of lines of work. Project Management as a major course of study in a college program does not. One may be better served learning a broader discipline (such as IT, accounting, construction, etc.) and have the PMP (or other similar project management training) as a secondary skill which helps support/utilize the major discipline.
Old 20 April 2008, 14:44
BTDT

yep

Corporate Guy - I'd have to agree with your comment - most everyone I know did the PMP certificaiton route. I only know one who is going after the master's in project management, and will probably end up using in in some arena other than the security industry.
Old 20 April 2008, 19:38
Threading the Needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Fiddy View Post
There will be times when you will have to give up television, liesure activities,.....
I have a 2 y/o and a 3 month old. What's that?:D Thanks for the encouragement brother.
Old 21 April 2008, 16:03
Conquer Life.

Buck,

Thanks for that link. I'm just in the beginning of my civilian career and am looking into my options.

What I'm looking for is the types of certificates/degrees that would compliment my military background as best as possible and put me in good position for work with a 3 letter agency or doing high level protection stateside. I'm also interested in possibly starting a small consulting firm (not in the very near future) since most of my buddys are FR, Team guys, S/S instructors, etc also.

I'm kind of all over the place and want to do everything. I've done the research into different courses, etc....... but if anyone has a hot tip or a "I wish I woulda..." or knows more in depth what is sought after, please let me know.

I appreciate it.

S/F

Old 23 April 2008, 12:09
#AllLionsMatter

SPOT ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Fiddy View Post
Project management education and/or certification is very useful in a broad range of industries.

It is standard within mature industries such as IT, construction, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy View Post
IMHO, PMP makes a lot of sense, for a lot of people, in a lot of lines of work. Project Management as a major course of study in a college program does not. One may be better served learning a broader discipline (such as IT, accounting, construction, etc.) and have the PMP (or other similar project management training) as a secondary skill which helps support/utilize the major discipline.
In the "construction" industry; PMs are beyond the power curve because of lack-of-knowledge of "basic" methods & means of construction.

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 24 April 2008, 03:26
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
whlkiller are you still n Active duty or have you gotten out? eArmyU is a great deal also- I earned my BA from Thomas Edison State College in Trenton, NJ. They gave me credit for all my applicable military courses and accepted all the transcripts from the 7 colleges I attended while on AD.

To reiterate- doing online courses is not easy- especially if you have a family and work the hours that most military people put in. Don't forget the CLEP exams- they're free at the ED center and even if you fail one, you can take it again in 6 months for FREE! probably the same test too. Worth a shot- I got 27 hours of college in 7 hours of testing. Not a bad deal.
I went to the Local University when I got out - they laughed at my attempt to parley mililtary experiance into Credit Hours. They did give me 18 hours for DLI and another 6 for some American History Clases I took at the Edu Center on Post. They gave me nothing for the CLEP (which I took the complete complement of - should have been worth 30 hours I thought).

So after complaining to no avail, I took the 24 hours they did give me (added another 20 that I had picked up before I went into the Army) and went back to school. I found that it was generally easy for me, I was not a kid anymore and was not distracted by kid stuff. It took me four long semesters as well as loading up each summer - but I finally graduated.

BTW - the degree plan I chose did not require a foreign language, so the 18 hours I got from DLI (German) went in as "Elective" hours - which basically fulfilled my entire alotment of hours I could put toward electives.

TigerDad

Our new posting rules