SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 27 October 2008, 11:14

Accelerated EMT-P

Does anyone know of a fully legit EMT-P (EMT-B through EMT-P) course that takes less than 18 months and is for civilians? I've seen the 26 week course the Air Force has but I'm looking for a civilian course. I appreciate the help and info.
Old 27 October 2008, 22:16
Confirmed User

Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach VA, 14 weeks straight.

x/S
Old 28 October 2008, 04:35

Thank you.
Old 10 November 2008, 12:17
Former Koolaide Tester

Anyone know of anything on the west coast side? Idaho, Nevada area fine too. I am familiar with the Colorado Mountain College program in Vail.

~Colonel Arthur D. Simons
Old 10 November 2008, 13:41
Confirmed User

There was a 6 month program in Denver region through one of the hospitals there. You need to be an EMT w/ some other requirements first though.

Ah found it... http://www.sahems.org/index.php?s=146
6-10 months depending on your scheduling.

This site doesn't need heroes, it is populated with them- Doogie

XGEP
Old 10 November 2008, 15:48
Confirmed Abuser

http://www.emtinc.net/
Old 10 November 2008, 16:29
Anesthetized User

http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS/

Daniel Freeman's program used to be very good, very fast paced and intense. Major exam every day, 80% or better to pass, you cannot fail any. However my information is a bit dated. Best of luck.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 11 November 2008, 11:19
Former Koolaide Tester

Thank you.

~Colonel Arthur D. Simons
Old 20 November 2008, 19:09
Casual Observer

Not to be a dick, but BW is running into this with the putting EMT-Bs through an accelerated EMT-I course and then making them PSS-Medics. All you have is an EMT-I with no experience. 75% of the major emergencies I have been on in Iraq were medicals not traumas. Anyone can sail through a trauma, but medical emergencies require experience.
Old 20 November 2008, 19:45
Confirmed User

Very true.
Old 20 November 2008, 19:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpractice View Post
Not to be a dick, but BW is running into this with the putting EMT-Bs through an accelerated EMT-I course and then making them PSS-Medics. All you have is an EMT-I with no experience. 75% of the major emergencies I have been on in Iraq were medicals not traumas. Anyone can sail through a trauma, but medical emergencies require experience.
OH I seriously doubt they have any plans to stop at making EMT-I's.
Old 20 November 2008, 19:54
Confirmed User

UTSA Health Science Dept.
Old 21 November 2008, 12:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS/

Daniel Freeman's program used to be very good, very fast paced and intense. Major exam every day, 80% or better to pass, you cannot fail any. However my information is a bit dated. Best of luck.
Daniel Freeman is still a very good school from my experience with them. As for the testing standards, when I attended in '89, you were allowed 2 test scores below 80%. Once you got the 3rd, you got the boot. The tests were pretty involved too. I doubt you would regret giving them a look.
Old 21 November 2008, 12:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpractice View Post
I like BW, but don't think this new attempt at meeting their WPPS medic contract obligations is the best thought out option, at least not from a patient care point of view. But then again I doubt the bean counters will ever find themselves on the "X" needing a good medic, so I guess they don't mind a decision based upon the bottom line.
Old 22 November 2008, 01:02
Lannister
Visitor

As a EMT-P, RN, and PA-C...
I'm thinking that having someone who "rushed" through medical training as a sole provider in an Austere environment... is not a good idea.

Just sayin...
Old 10 December 2008, 19:25
Confirmed User

How about an emt-B accelerated course? Preferably east coast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 December 2008, 19:45
Lannister
Visitor

Quote:
Headquartered in Conway, New Hampshire, the Advanced Life Support Institute (ALSI) provides education programs for EMS providers, including comprehensive Paramedic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Basic programs, and a wide variety of continuing education courses.
http://www.alsi.org/index.php?page=welcome.php
Old 10 December 2008, 22:33
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMuther View Post
How about an emt-B accelerated course? Preferably east coast.
http://www.soloschools.com/

Can't go wrong with SOLO for EMT-B. It is a month long course though. I took it and even over a month it was drinking from a fire hose. They did a very good job though, good people and great food. They had (probably still do) a no shit chef on staff, the food was excellent.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 December 2008, 23:07
Confirmed User

Thanks, there is a specific helo tech position opening up for my sar team that I need to be emt-b time specific to qualify for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 December 2008, 23:19

The TEEX through Texas A&M has an excelerated program http://http://www.teex.com/teex.cfm?...&Course=EMS135.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the long drawn out 2 year paramedic program that I'm on at my local community. I get plenty of clincial experience and all my Biology and A&Ps, plus an AAS. It is a lot longer but you get plenty of experience through the program.

Our new posting rules