SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 14 September 2018, 13:56
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I have seen first hand the devastating effects the bombings had in Laos and Cambodia. Whole villages and tribes knocked off. And to this day the devastating effect of US UXO left behind. Sickens me. The big eye opener for me in 2008 assisting in a UXO survey in Laos, near the Vietnam border. Met up With a family who just weeks prior lost their ten year old son to one of our left over cluster bombs. The pain the family had, made me absolutely sick.

I recall that there was a Navy project maybe a decade ago with those governments to try to spin up a map of likely locations of UXO based on US Navy records about where such ordnance was used--since the Navy recorded which planes used it when, and the missions had been tracked, and the use or non-use was recorded as well, it became possible to figure out where there was more likely than not (and where it was very unlikely) UXO for cleanup. I never heard what came of it, but it struck several of us as highly ambitious.
Old 14 September 2018, 17:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmV7G3JWwkA

Watched this with my neice last night. (See my thread in medical section). Looks pretty kick ass and challenging to me.
"You Have To Go Out, But You Don't Have To Come Back"

A friend of mine did a stint in the coast guard. After a few harrowing search and rescue experiences, he decided he didn't have it in him to re-up.
Old 15 September 2018, 11:36
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I genuinely have no regrets. I joined to go to war and I got to.
I don't have regrets either - but I'm no longer under any impression that anyone above Squad, *maybe* Platoon level actually gives a phuck about you - and Washington will send you to your death for money, personal gripes, political philosophy and to "save face", all while fabricating a "threat" that the faithful will swallow whole hog. I didn't wise the F up until I was in my 40's.
Old 15 September 2018, 15:54
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
"You Have To Go Out, But You Don't Have To Come Back"

A friend of mine did a stint in the coast guard. After a few harrowing search and rescue experiences, he decided he didn't have it in him to re-up.
I saw a pretty good documentary on CG rescue swimmers several years ago, according to the guys interviewed, they all hate that old saying and don't subscribe to it. Many of them say they're not even sure who coined it.

The whole idea when going out is making it back, for them it goes without saying that the possibility exists that they won't, but they felt the adage was somewhat defeatist.

Our new posting rules