SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 25 September 2018, 19:15
Anesthetized User

Since the only option I can find for non-lead 375WIN projectiles that work in a lever gun/tube mag is the Nosler 260gr solid.

Would it be safe to use 375 projectiles for the 375H&H if they were single loaded then one more in the mag to be used for hunting? If so, this opens far more options.

I was thinking about Barnes 230 TSX. Per the Berger twist rate calculator this bullet is very stable. This is also the shortest 375 at 1.225 inches.

Your thoughts?

http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tsx/

Support SOCNET.
Old 25 September 2018, 21:33
exquisitus asinus

I cant see why not. The reason for the flat nosed projectiles in the tube is avoidance of a primer strike under recoil and spring pressure in the magazine by the pointed bullet..

The 375 WIN headspaces on the case rim.. the chamber isnt going to know or care if the projectile is longer or shorter, pointier or flatter, etc.. as long as you dont exceed recommended cartridge over all length, you should be good to go (barnes TSX and TTSX are typically a good bit longer than counterpart traditional lead core bullets of the same weight)..

TSX and TTSX meet all of the CA lead free requirements.. and are hammers... 230 grains at standard 375 WIN speeds will drop anything on 2 or 4 legs that lives inside the borders of your home state..
Old 25 September 2018, 21:50
Anesthetized User

Thanks, mdwest. I was thinking the same.

Support SOCNET.
Old 25 September 2018, 21:55
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Would it be safe to use 375 projectiles for the 375H&H if they were single loaded then one more in the mag to be used for hunting? If so, this opens far more options.
Perfectly legit. I've had several folks over the years tell me they used pointed .338 bullets in their 33 WCF rifles in the same way. The only concern aside from OAL is to ensure that the fit of the bullet is nice and tight in the neck of the case. Recoil can drive the bullet back into the case neck and screw up feeding.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 15 November 2018, 09:39
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Since the only option I can find for non-lead 375WIN projectiles that work in a lever gun/tube mag is the Nosler 260gr solid.

I was thinking about Barnes 230 TSX. Per the Berger twist rate calculator this bullet is very stable. This is also the shortest 375 at 1.225 inches.

Your thoughts?

http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tsx/
Lehigh Defense makes some non-lead bullets in 375 that would be suitable for deer and other lighter game. They're $$ but you wouldn't need that many. For use in a lever action tube mag, carry one in the chamber and one in the magazine and no problems.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/products/375-controlled-fracturing-185gr-bullet?variant=36100517448

S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 15 November 2018, 11:56

Also, Starline just announced they're going to make 375 Win and 348 Win brass, so the scarcity issue is over. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 20 November 2018, 11:32
BTDT

I have recently started doing a lot more range time with a shotgun. I have never reloaded anything so shotgun shells seem like an odd way to start.

How much much should I expect to spend getting started reloading shotgun shells?

I am trying to replicate what Winchester offers in the Low Recoil Low Noise rounds since I am primarily using the shotgun for Cowboy Action and want to keep recoil low...

Any advice?
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 20 November 2018, 14:10

I have a MEC 600 Jr for 20ga and a Grabber for 12ga and they're pretty dummy proof. I'd suggest getting the 600 jr unless you want to shoot a lot of shells. You might very well be able to find a good used machine, but I'd say you'll be about $400 into getting started with a basic amount of powder, primers and shot.

Hodgdon has data. The Win AA is the benchmark for hulls, seems a WAAlite powder with Win 209, 7/8oz shot and AA wad for about 1050-1100 fps would be similar to what you're looking for. Shotgun reloading recipes are exact, so do not substitute hulls, wads, primers, etc, use precisely as listed. S/F....Ken M
Old 20 November 2018, 14:30
BTDT

Quote:
I'd suggest getting the 600 jr unless you want to shoot a lot of shells.

I'd estimate about 75 rounds per month max.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 20 November 2018, 15:00

600jr do that in about 30 minutes. You'll need a charge bar, which meters the shot, and it takes bushing, which meter the powder charge. S/F....Ken M
Old 20 November 2018, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I have recently started doing a lot more range time with a shotgun. I have never reloaded anything so shotgun shells seem like an odd way to start.

How much much should I expect to spend getting started reloading shotgun shells?

I am trying to replicate what Winchester offers in the Low Recoil Low Noise rounds since I am primarily using the shotgun for Cowboy Action and want to keep recoil low...

Any advice?
I have a Hornady 366 that I have loaded over twenty thousand shotgun rounds with. It will allow you to use different bushings for charge and shot size. I use a reduced load, (one ounce of shot) for skeet shooting. You can buy one ounce wads quite reasonably from Claybuster. The 366 may be more than what you need but I am sure you can get something lesser that will allow you to load reduced loads for cowboy shoots. Hope this helps.
Old 10 December 2018, 23:29
Anesthetized User

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?p=1...post1058767730

Support SOCNET.
Old 11 December 2018, 03:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post

Any advice?

Check your lead shot prices locally, it is tough to find a 25lb bag of shot under $40 anymore. I shoot $6/box promotional loads and it is tough to break even, before adding in the time it takes to source the components and load the ammo. When shot was $15-20/25lbs, it was economical to reload 12 and even more so 20 Gauge. If you are shooting a 12, it may be cheaper to buy, I'm not sure how much your low recoil/low noise loads run you.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:02
The Sagacious One

I used to shoot skeet every week and reload with the Mec grabber. Its just too cheap to buy factory ammo now. I get Estate ammo #8's or #7.5's for about $5.50 a box. Reloading to that price point is hard to do. If you have a specific load of low recoil etc, then that may be the way to go to make sure you get what you want, performance wise. It is fun, picking up all of those little BB's from the floor and all.

Our new posting rules