Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 9 September 2017, 22:26
Six Minutes!

Sounds like you have a minimum chamber (nothing wrong with that) and the BB ammo is a tight fit on the trip up the ramp. FWIW, I've noticed that BB can be all over the place with consistent dimensions lot to lot.

Once it's been Nitrided, I don't think that the metal can be worked any more. (not 100%, but a gunsmith friend of mine said that).

I'd try another brand of heavy ammo- Underwood, Double Tap, etc.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 9 September 2017, 22:32
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Headspace is great, the chamber is tighter on the KKM. The cam point from the tip of the projectile at the top of the chamber and the brass at the bottom is slightly tighter as it is feeding in; very narrow margin.
I had to break my KKM in. First couple hundred rounds had FTFs. It now runs fine after shooting various loads through it. Agree with trying other brands of ammo.
Old 9 September 2017, 23:07

Thanks for the sanity check gentlemen, Muchas tanx!
Old 11 September 2017, 08:47
Midgetologist

^^^Let us know how you make out.
Old 25 November 2017, 08:22
Been There Done That

This has to begin with a little hunting story. I was hunting with my son a couple days ago close to the house. A mutant spike I have been wanting to kill walks in front of us at 55 yds and happens to see a pile of corn and stops broadside. I told him to take the shot. He was using a 30/30 I got him for his birthday. He's 32 and has hunted but never taken a buck. He took aim, shaking like John Voight aiming his bow at the buck in Deliverance. Just in case I took aim with my Glock 29 for a high lung shot in case he missed. As soon as I heard the rapport of the 30/30 I immediately fired. He hit the buck, it lowered its front legs from the impact, kicking up its hind legs. It only went about 60 yds and fell. I found my 10mm had hit one of its rear feet just above the hoof destroying it when it kicked up its rear legs.

Moral of the story: I'm getting a Glock 40 MOS to hunt with.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 25 November 2017, 09:43
Midgetologist

^^^ You were going for the Pelvic Girdle?
Old 25 November 2017, 11:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Nah, just practicing Israeli crowd control.

The 10mm is a very versatile round. Unfortunate that it has always been a "niche" cartridge, with limited popularity meaning limited manufacturers offering 10mm pistols.

I've been playing around with a G20 and different commercial loads, swapping out recoil and striker spring weights. Underwood makes some pretty stiff loads. So far, I have not induced any stoppages shooting super hot loads with factory-weight springs, but heavier springs certainly make it easier to get follow-up shots on paper.
Old 25 November 2017, 12:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Ha. No, just the reaction time from hearing his rapport from his rifle and then immediately firing the 10mm...in that short amount of time the buck kicked up his rear legs which was were his lungs were a half second before. It was a good Father/Son bonding moment.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 3 December 2017, 22:07

Quote:
^^^Let us know how you make out.
I ran through some Undewood 200grn with many failures to feed with stock spring and barrel as well as the KKM. I had the same results with a 22lb spring. I am thinking of moving on to Lehigh 150 hunter or 140 penetrator; thoughts?
Old 3 December 2017, 23:00
Midgetologist

Quote:
I ran through some Undewood 200grn with many failures to feed with stock spring and barrel as well as the KKM. I had the same results with a 22lb spring. I am thinking of moving on to Lehigh 150 hunter or 140 penetrator; thoughts?
Bullet shape? Weapon broke in? It took me around 300 rounds to get my KKM to be reliable.
I was shooting my 20C yesterday with S&B 180 gr. With a flat tip and I had 2 failures to feed with the stock barrel it does happen.

I suggest doing buying different brands and try them out. Maybe try a 20lb RSA? That seems to be the sweet spot for my G20.
Old 7 December 2017, 20:32

Quote:
Bullet shape? Weapon broke in? It took me around 300 rounds to get my KKM to be reliable.
I was shooting my 20C yesterday with S&B 180 gr. With a flat tip and I had 2 failures to feed with the stock barrel it does happen.

I suggest doing buying different brands and try them out. Maybe try a 20lb RSA? That seems to be the sweet spot for my G20.
Roger that; will give it a try.

Anything on Lehigh Hunter 150 grn?
Old 9 December 2017, 12:56
BTDT

Mag Springs

Quote:
Roger that; will give it a try.

Anything on Lehigh Hunter 150 grn?
When you go to a heavier recoil spring, I recommend replacing your stock Glock magazine springs w/Wolff +10% springs. If you attach a light to the gun or run a KKM comped barrel, that changes things again. Where, you will have to go to a lighter recoil spring:)

I didn't know that LeHigh made a .40/10mm bullet that is a 150gr and is called the "LeHigh Hunter?"

I have loaded the 115gr Extreme Defense & 140gr Extreme Penetrator bullets. The terminal effect, on feral boar hogs, has been very impressive.

Good shooting
Old 9 December 2017, 14:15
Been There Done That

I took 100 rds of Underwood 135 gr JHP to the range last week.

Have not chrono'd it, manufacturer data is 1600 fps, 767 ft lbs at the loud end. Fired it through a Gen3 G20, using a Lone Wolf captive 17 lb flat wire spring with their stainless steel rod, and the OEM striker spring.

No failures/malfs to report. Significant muzzle flip and stout recoil. Not as stout as their .44 Mag 340 gr +P+ gas check LFN out of my 3.75" Bisley Super Blackhawk, however...I'll think twice before shooting that load again...
Old 9 December 2017, 16:54
BTDT

LeHigh

Oh, I just went to the Underwood site

Didn't know LeHigh had that offering (ie 150gr), in a 10mm. Interesting, that the LeHigh site has that bullet listed under a .410 (ie .41 Magnum)...Must be something new.

I have loaded/shot Lehigh's .45 ACP 120gr ED, in .45 ACP & .45 Super, which has a similar cut..& no issues.

Good shooting
Old 9 December 2017, 17:50
Been There Done That

Underwood has a good military discount (as does Lehigh). I have shot a fair amount of Underwood in 10mm, .44 Mag, and 45-70, haven't encountered any issues with their products. Their prices are pretty hard to beat.

Lehigh is also great stuff, but pricier, too pricy for me as a range round. I do carry Lehigh in my G20 in the woods.
Old 9 December 2017, 17:56
BTDT

LeHigh

What would be REALLY interesting, is if LeHigh released it's Mil/LE bullet tip cut..in .40, for commercial sales.

..that would sell quicker than $2 bit coin

Good shooting
Old 9 December 2017, 18:45
BTDT

Pistolas/cartridges

Quote:
I took 100 rds of Underwood 135 gr JHP to the range last week.

Have not chrono'd it, manufacturer data is 1600 fps, 767 ft lbs at the loud end. Fired it through a Gen3 G20, using a Lone Wolf captive 17 lb flat wire spring with their stainless steel rod, and the OEM striker spring.

No failures/malfs to report. Significant muzzle flip and stout recoil. Not as stout as their .44 Mag 340 gr +P+ gas check LFN out of my 3.75" Bisley Super Blackhawk, however...I'll think twice before shooting that load again..
https://youtu.be/vSq96T-UrJ0

Good shooting
Old 9 December 2017, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
Oh, I just went to the Underwood site

Didn't know LeHigh had that offering (ie 150gr), in a 10mm. Interesting, that the LeHigh site has that bullet listed under a .410 (ie .41 Magnum)...Must be something new.

I have loaded/shot Lehigh's .45 ACP 120gr ED, in .45 ACP & .45 Super, which has a similar cut..& no issues.

Good shooting

I received a response fron the Underwood folks, regarding the 150 hunter compared to the 140 penetrator for punching through a bears head; the said stick with the latter.

glockcqc, You have your marching orders; test the two loads against a pissed off charging grizzly sow and report your findings...
Old 9 December 2017, 21:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
I received a response fron the Underwood folks, regarding the 150 hunter compared to the 140 penetrator for punching through a bears head; the said stick with the latter.

glockcqc, You have your marching orders; test the two loads against a pissed off charging grizzly sow and report your findings...
Somewhere, in the SOCNET wayback machine, is my account of duking it out with a bear at close range, armed with a 12 ga, a pastime I'd rather not repeat. 10mm vs bear at close range is not ideal...
Old 10 December 2017, 03:20
BTDT

10mm bullets

Quote:

We seem to be a little short on griz; here, in SC.

Though, there appears to be a rising number of humans behaving badly; while, wearing level IIIA body armor. One can only hope/pray/prepare, to be chosen to confront & defeat evil.

Good shooting

Last edited by glockcqc; 10 December 2017 at 03:29.

Our new posting rules