SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 5 June 2020, 18:32
Been There Done That

Buffalo Incident

So what is the consensus on the incident in Buffalo, Ny? where two police officer shove a 74 year old man out of the way — who then subsequently heads his head on pavement, bloody mess and in critical condition. Officers suspended, Cuomo screaming they should be fired and prosecuted. 57 officers walk off the task force in protest supporting the two officers.

I watched the video and looks bad to me, but seems others are justifying the officers actions blaming the old man for deliberately getting in their faces, provoking and was not a violent shove but trying to get him out of the way and he fell back and loss his balance.

Things sure are escalating.
Old 5 June 2020, 18:36
Administrator

Looks to me like they were trying to handle a situation and he ran up trying to divert their attention and got pushed out of the way.

They can't be expected to deal with a crowd and play patty cake with idiots who run up and try to become the show at the same time.
Old 5 June 2020, 18:46
Authorized Personnel

The guy reached out with something in his hand. The response wasn't overly aggressive, and the guy tripped and fell back.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.45.55 PM.png (361.8 KB, 376 views)
Old 5 June 2020, 18:50
Confirmed User

Certainly bad optics given the current situation. However it’s not like he was hit like a linebacker, it appeared to be a reasonable push back from a skirmish line. If you approach an advancing skirmish line, expect to be pushed back. That’s reasonable. It’s not the officers fault that he lost his footing and went down. That said, I don’t know the context. Someone posted something about him trying to return a helmet to police. He does have what appears to be a helmet in his left hand. Is it a police helmet? Is it his helmet? In either case he certainly did not appear to try to hand it over or offer it in any fashion, so I don’t know about that. What I do know is when a field force skirmish line tells you to move back, you should move back. It’s not a negotiation at that point. I do wish him a full recovery and am glad it wasn’t worse.
Old 5 June 2020, 18:59
Reverse Apache Master

Not only did he reach out with something in his hand, he reached down toward a police officer's belt on his gun side. He got checked with a quick shove to create distance, which is a 100% appropriate response.

Hell, that has nothing to do with being a police officer, much less one on a skirmish line. That's what anyone should do if they have a gun on and somebody reaches toward it.

You don't know what they're doing, so you don't completely blast them. You just check them to create distance while you have a chance to process what's going on. That's all they did and he fell down. Shit happens.
Old 5 June 2020, 19:49
I reckon so. . .

Shitty optics.

LOOOONNGGG Time peace activist doesn't know when to approach?

At his age & experience you'd think he'd be better dialed in than the avg. citizen.

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 6 June 2020, 03:04
justauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
Someone posted something about him trying to return a helmet to police. He does have what appears to be a helmet in his left hand. Is it a police helmet? Is it his helmet?
I guess he should have been wearing the helmet.

I’m not pro-police violence or excessive force. Years ago I’d been tossed around and had my ass planted and been drawn on and proned out in my experiences with LE- play stupid games ya’ know, allegedly. Those were not my proudest moments as a young man, but come on. Cops have a job to do. And tying their hands behind their backs while the thugs get free reign is not in society’s best interest.

Old dude goes blitzing towards the line and gets pushed back...sounds like a personal problem to me. It doesn’t appear they were malicious... What do people expect will happen?

If you ask me this rioting and looting shit is getting old.
Old 6 June 2020, 06:07
Legal Immigrant

Reported as an agitator, (no real surprise there), and I read the whole PD "resigned" in support of the suspended officers? Don't have a direct link now, as it was something I read a few hours back.
Old 6 June 2020, 07:32
Freelancer

Gramps trying to re-live his glory days = Epic Failure.
Old 6 June 2020, 07:32

Had they given the guy a pass... optics would've screed "white privilege"
Old 6 June 2020, 12:47
justauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALSV View Post
Had they given the guy a pass... optics would've screed "white privilege"
110%
Old 6 June 2020, 13:49
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Everyday we are one step closer to Orwell's world
Thought crime. Straight up.
Old 6 June 2020, 15:34
Authorized Personnel

Everybody wants to be a rioter until it's time to go F@F with the riot cops.
Old 6 June 2020, 16:07
Been There Done That

I ask because I am ignorant...is it standard in a case such as this to be suspended without pay? What happened to administrative paid leave?
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 6 June 2020, 16:15
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo72 View Post
I ask because I am ignorant...is it standard in a case such as this to be suspended without pay? What happened to administrative paid leave?
Contrary to popular belief, it does exist and is used more often than reported.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 6 June 2020, 16:36
Confirmed User

Some states have laws prohibiting suspension without pay before a punishment is determined. In theory the law prevents indefinite suspensions. I have heard another reason is an officer may be suspended without pay for an incident for lets use three weeks as an example, and when the case is resolved, it is determined the misconduct warrants a two day suspension. Also there are rights to trial board, appeals, etc. It varies from state to state, etc.
Old 6 June 2020, 16:38
Rocket Surgeon

Both Buffalo Officers were charged with second degree assault (enhancement due to his age).

The 57 officers resigned from the riot team because their union made a policy statement that they would not provide legal representation (the primary reason most belong to the union) for actions resulting from their assignment on the riot team. The union refused to provide legal representation for the two involved in this incident.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 6 June 2020, 16:50
Been There Done That

Thanks guys for the knowledge!
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 6 June 2020, 19:55
Been There Done That

If someone gets in my face they are getting shoved too. He tried to provoke them and they reacted accordingly.
Old 6 June 2020, 21:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
Both Buffalo Officers were charged with second degree assault (enhancement due to his age).
Well the good news is their actions don’t fit the elements of the crime defined by statute, so their impending acquittal should take all of 5 minutes in court. However the bad news is it will immediately become “proof” that cops are never held accountable for anything, because the pulse of social media (you know, society’s morons) are calling for their heads on a pike.

Our new posting rules