SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 29 December 2008, 00:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpost
The Israel Air Force used a new bunker-buster missile that it received recently from the United States in strikes against Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip on Saturday, The Jerusalem Post learned on Sunday.
The GBU-39 (illustrative).

The GBU-39 (illustrative).
Photo: Courtesy of US Air Force
Slideshow: Pictures of the week

The missile, called GBU-39, was developed in recent years by the US as a small-diameter bomb for low-cost, high-precision and low collateral damage strikes.

Israel received approval from Congress to purchase 1,000 units in September and defense officials said on Sunday that the first shipment had arrived earlier this month and was used successfully in penetrating underground Kassam launchers in the Gaza Strip during the heavy aerial bombardment of Hamas infrastructure on Saturday. It was also used in Sunday's bombing of tunnels in Rafah.

The GPS-guided GBU-39 is said to be one of the most accurate bombs in the world. The 113-kg. bomb has the same penetration capabilities as a normal 900-kg. bomb, although it has only 22.7 kg. of explosives. At just 1.75 meters long, its small size increases the number of bombs an aircraft can carry and the number of targets it can attack in a sortie.

Tests conducted in the US have proven that the bomb is capable of penetrating at least 90 cm. of steel-reinforced concrete. The GBU-39 can be used in adverse weather conditions and has a standoff range of more than 110 km. due to pop-out wings.
Nice! That's pretty quick on deployment there, no?
Old 29 December 2008, 04:19
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison
Nice! That's pretty quick on deployment there, no?
They are obviously showing they learned their lessons from the July War. Not sending the tanks in immediately shows they might have learned a lesson in that area as well....
Old 29 December 2008, 07:58
Dream Liver

+1 SOTB. That and I'm sure they learned the lessons against the Egyptians on the Sinai...for sure infantry will be with the armor. I know it was because of the time constraint with getting there as quickly as possible, but I'm sure that wont happen again, hence the call up of over 6500 reservists already. All I know is, the call up is nice because all the bars here are empty GodSpeed to Israel
Old 29 December 2008, 08:32
Confirmed User

Iranian hardliners

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081229/...rael_volunteer

Looks like these fuckers also want their asses handed to them. I hope Israel takes it further - like into Iran.

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those that have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, care for nothing else thereafter.
Old 29 December 2008, 10:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
They are obviously showing they learned their lessons from the July War. Not sending the tanks in immediately shows they might have learned a lesson in that area as well....
Hopefully they won't wait 3 weeks to send the tanks in, like they did in Lebanon.
Old 29 December 2008, 10:14
Confirmed User

GO JEWS!!!

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 29 December 2008, 10:57
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS Guy View Post
GO JEWS!!!

It would be nice if they would finally did whats been needed for so long.

Can you imagine what would happen if rockets were coming into the US from mexico?
Old 29 December 2008, 11:11
Confirmed User

don't try to interject logic into this equation, dougage.

in all seriousness, i think all but the most die hard israel haters realize that israel gave them more leeway than any other country would have, and this was a long time coming. and it's 'only hamas', which is easy to denigrate.

i just hope israel takes it to the finish. i would like to see the philidelphi route recaptured, all underground installations blown up, most hamas assets reduced to rubble, many hamas dead and gov't ousted, an answer on schalit, and a quick withdrawl by israel.

my sister is within rocket range. go idf!
Old 29 December 2008, 12:28
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison
Hopefully they won't wait 3 weeks to send the tanks in, like they did in Lebanon....
If you cannot protect your tanks, nothing will be more demoralizing than to see your armor torn to shreds. Either level the fucking buildings to your front, or damn sure make it hard for the new RPGs and ATMs to be deployed against you....
Old 29 December 2008, 13:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
If you cannot protect your tanks, nothing will be more demoralizing than to see your armor torn to shreds. Either level the fucking buildings to your front, or damn sure make it hard for the new RPGs and ATMs to be deployed against you....

Spot on! Thats why there will always be Infantry.

Perhaps the IDF will deploy its 55th (Paratrooper)Infantry Brigade or as I like to call them the "Screaming Hebrews".

God bless the IDF and good luck!

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 29 December 2008, 13:47
A/1/75

Hamas needed money as donations were slowing up, now they are "news" again donations/support will pick back up.

Charlie
Old 29 December 2008, 13:48
Confirmed User

I agree, but that wasn't the issue in Lebanon, and Gaza isn't Lebanon. In Lebanon, (former commander of the IAF-turned-Chief of Staff) Halutz relied solely on air power for the first three weeks, when every grunt retard knew he was doing it wrong after the first 3-5 days of air assault. Chalk it up to ego (my boys are the tip of the IDF spear). Once the infantry/tank commanders were allowed to flex their muscles, it drastically changed the equation, though too late.
Old 29 December 2008, 14:04

What's the point spread?
Old 29 December 2008, 14:59
Confirmed User

On a side note...
Many anti-Israel protesters in Buenos Aires were seen shouting while holding up their shoes.
I see a direct connection to recent events in Iraq.
I also see it immediately as anti-American sentiment.

Wasn't "Thou shalt not fuck with mine people" a commandment or something?? God even used semtex on a bush to get his point across ...am I wrong? - DCH

The Bedouin took his revenge after 40 years and said: "I was in a hurry"
Old 29 December 2008, 15:20
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdvir of IDF View Post
On a side note...
Many anti-Israel protesters in Buenos Aires were seen shouting while holding up their shoes.
I see a direct connection to recent events in Iraq.
I also see it immediately as anti-American sentiment.
Well, in the World Series of Irony play offs, some anti-Israel protesters in Mosul were, you guessed it, attacked by a suicide bomber.
Old 29 December 2008, 15:25
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Honestly, I dont know how Israel holds it temper for so long. But Katey bar the doors when she does ~ its Ass kicking time. Hamas needs to be annihilated wherever they find them. I hope they kill every one of those bastards they possibly can. I'm sorry for the innocent loss of life in Gaza, but when Habib is in your backyard or on the rooftop of your building firing Qassam rockets and mortars ... its time to find a new home.
Old 29 December 2008, 17:47
Banned User

Quote:
Honestly, I don’t know how Israel holds it temper for so long.
No kidding, this site counts the number of Qassam’s fired into Israel http://twitter.com/QassamCount , perspective.

GO ISRAEL !
Old 29 December 2008, 18:34
Administrator

I'm glad they are doing it and I hope they do it until the bastards lose their will to fight.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 December 2008, 19:08

I just got through watching a report, and Israel is holding nothing back at this point.

Fuck em. I hope they kill em all. Men, women and children.
Old 29 December 2008, 19:28
Confirmed User

Get a load of this

Free Gaza boat will try to reach Strip

A group of international activists said it would defy an Israeli blockade and send a boat with medical supplies to Gaza from Cyprus.

Free Gaza Group spokeswoman Caoimhe Butterly said their 20-meter yacht Dignity would leave Larnaca port around 5 p.m. (1400GMT) Monday with 3.5 tons of donated supplies.

She said the yacht would carry 16 passengers, including former US Congresswoman Cynthia Mckinney, Cypriot lawmaker and doctor Eleni Theocharous and activists from Britain, Australia, Ireland and Tunisia.

Butterly said the urgent need to deliver aid requested by Gaza authorities “outweighs the risks” of entering a war zone.

Free Gaza has successfully made five deliveries of aid by boat from Larnaca to Gaza over the past four months.
(AP)

Our new posting rules