Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 22 March 2011, 20:33

Flight Paramedic Certification for 160th flight medics

I recently read that 60% of 160th flight medics have earned the Flight Paramedic Certification (FP-C) and with out trying to probe for sensitive information Im hoping someone on here can tell me if the unit provided training for this certification or did each medic earn the certification on their own.

I am a 20 NREMT-P and I am trying to study for this certification test myself. A civilian flight service I am familiar with only has three paramedics in it's entire region that have passed FP-C!
Every FP-C I spoke to tells me that the test is the hardest they ever took.

For a busy .mil unit like 160th to have 60% of its medics certified is an awesome achievement!

Can anyone provide study tips?

Jelco90
Old 22 March 2011, 21:50
Preparing to defend

It could well be true. There was a push just before I retired in 99 to send CE's to a course called, I think, Combat Medic? But we all received more advanced medic skills than the average aircrew. Would bet my bottom dollar the AF does the same. Great skill to have, always.
Old 22 March 2011, 22:03

jdog: Im studying like crazy for this Cert! Im reviewing things that are well above the 68W skills and knowlege base! Some of the Paramedics I work with are STUMPED by some of the information that is expected for the exam. It impresses the hell out of me that they 160th could have that many medics certified. RESPECT...
jelco90
Old 23 March 2011, 08:09
Preparing to defend

I'll ask my SIL about it. He's AD SFC in the Regt.
Old 23 March 2011, 09:36

jdog: I'm mostly interested in if they attended any critical care course or some type of review program like Will Wingfield's ACE-SAT. I have Will's review book and use that to test myself on how much I don't know.

Thanks for any help
Jelco90
Old 23 March 2011, 17:48
Casual Observer

The Bacfield is prep courses for the FP-C that I hear about everyone using, but if you got the study book from the IAFP website, it should be good enough. Alot of questions on the gas laws. I also have a PDF study guide from the prep course if you want that as well.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:18

Malpractice: I'd be greatful for any advice or help you or anyone could give.

Thank you
Old 25 March 2011, 01:12
Casual Observer

Sent to your profile email address.
Old 26 March 2011, 01:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Would bet my bottom dollar the AF does the same.
The AF has Pararesuemen (PJ) that perform this task/purpose, and they are only assigned to Rescue and SOF units. The typical AF FE/CE does not have much medical training.
Old 22 December 2013, 14:28

Study guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpractice View Post
The Bacfield is prep courses for the FP-C that I hear about everyone using, but if you got the study book from the IAFP website, it should be good enough. Alot of questions on the gas laws. I also have a PDF study guide from the prep course if you want that as well.
Sir may I trouble you for a copy of that, if its still available? Thank you.
Old 5 May 2014, 19:12

Hardest test I ever took. I was so stoked I was a first time go.
Old 6 May 2014, 10:21
Preparing to defend

Congratulations, 7point62! Keep up the good work, the 160th, and the world, need good people.

Always remember: NSDQ!
Old 6 May 2014, 12:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Would bet my bottom dollar the AF does the same. Great skill to have, always.
The Pararescue Medical Training History gives some insight to how Paramedic certification became a necessity for USAF Pararescue and how this level of training emerged and developed over the years since 1947. Pararescue and the pioneer para-docs put the para in pararemedic as the origin of paramedic originates with the introduction of parachuting medics.

Biographic background of the Pioneer Para-doctors and Flight Surgeons involved with the origins of USAF Pararescue

Also of interest:

NREMT Executive Director Bill Brown to Retire in May 2013 Bill is recognized for his contributions in moving EMS to a more professional status in its short history. He has been an instrumental part of many national committees, and has spoken about the NREMT and/or national EMS initiatives in all 50 states. He has recently been recognized with a number of Lifetime Achievement Awards for his contributions to EMS.

...He served as a pararescueman (PJ) from 1969 to 1972. In 1971 he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for rescuing U.S. Air Force pilot Lt. Col. Arthur S. Blissett in Laos after Col. Blissett parachuted from an F4 Phantom that was shot down, and dangled from a 200-foot-high tree for nine hours. This was a pivotal moment in Bill’s military career—one which inspired him to seek a career in EMS. ...

Dr. Amos R. Little (deceased) Amos "Bud" Little was a physician by profession whose love and volunteer service to skiing took him to the very top nationally and internationally on behalf of his sport.

He was a member of the great Dartmouth ski teams from 1936 to 1939. Upon completing his medical studies he joined the military in 1943 and served in the Air Rescue Service based in Montana. There he helped to found the Great Falls Ski Club.

While serving as the President of the Northern Rocky Mountain Division of the National Ski Association (1949-1951) he chaired the national alpine championships in 1949. He served on the U.S. Olympic Committee for skiing from 1952 to 1968 and was the alpine team manager at the Olympic Games in Squaw Valley. He was also the team manager for the FIS world championships in 1962 and 1967.

He was the Treasurer for the USSA from 1960 to 1966 and also chaired its Competition Committee. In 1960 he was awarded the Blegen award for service to skiing and was also a recipient of the Bass American Ski Award and the John St. Clair award, the latter for service to the U.S. ski team. The Bud and Mary Little award has been named in his honor.

Last edited by johca; 6 May 2014 at 12:23.

Our new posting rules