SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 14 August 2018, 02:02
Confirmed User

Apparently the suspects could be out on bail. https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/13/u...cts/index.html

One of their lawyers has an interesting and entirely predictable perspective. Has it really been 25 years since Waco?

Quote:
But a lawyer for one of the defendants said the evidence might be viewed in a different light if the defendants were "white Christians" instead of black Muslims.

"If these were white people of a Christian faith who owned guns, that's not a big deal because there's a Second Amendment right to own firearms in this country," Thomas Clark said.
Edit: The article itself has been edited and the portion I quoted directly was altered.

Last edited by jomini; 14 August 2018 at 02:22.
Old 15 August 2018, 08:05
BTDT

So....not charged with any terrorism offenses? Got it. I mean, holy crap, you don't even have enough evidence for a Grand Jury - the see what sticks, dream sheet you can then bargain with? LOL
Old 15 August 2018, 09:23
Authorized Personnel

Interesting case.

On the one hand unless there is absolute proof they were planning a school attack, then the gun issue is a non-starter. Not a crime to have guns, not a crime to teach your kids how to use guns - in fact most of our conversations on guns involves what? Teaching the next generation to use and respect guns so that we have a little bit longer with the 2d Amendment.

But on the other hand the malnourished kids and at least one dying thing? Seems to me that would warrant being remanded until trial.
Old 15 August 2018, 10:09
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Interesting case.

On the one hand unless there is absolute proof they were planning a school attack, then the gun issue is a non-starter. Not a crime to have guns, not a crime to teach your kids how to use guns - in fact most of our conversations on guns involves what? Teaching the next generation to use and respect guns so that we have a little bit longer with the 2d Amendment.

But on the other hand the malnourished kids and at least one dying thing? Seems to me that would warrant being remanded until trial.
Oh yeah, not saying they don't deserve a reservation at the Gray Bar Hotel, just that cabbies that send tip money home to Paki get charged with the big "T", but not these jamoke's? Like Fletch said: "Come on guys, it's all terrorism these days" when discussing the Sfitzer valve
Old 15 August 2018, 12:50
Never to old to learn

The last I heard was the Judge released them on $20,000.00 bail, The judge she has been getting threats, an they had to lock down the court house.

Added info

State District Judge Sarah C. Backus is facing a backlash after she ruled Monday that five defendants from a ramshackle Taos County compound raided Aug. 3 can be released from jail pending trial. (Roberto E. Rosales/Albuquerque Journal)

https://www.abqjournal.com/1209009/t...-suspects.html

Dam I got the link to work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Judge.jpg (16.9 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by wildman43; 15 August 2018 at 13:14.
Old 26 August 2018, 18:17
Confirmed User

www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/two-new-mexico-compound-planned-attack-grady-hospital-documents-say/QfR8CpoYrwPTSWHkFnVSQO/

These amazing individuals totally deserved bail.
Old 27 August 2018, 07:46
Been There Done That

Child abuse resulting in death of a child and that's a 20k bond?
We've got to end the war on drugs and keep shit heads like this in for decades.
Old 30 August 2018, 00:26
Did...did I do that?

This thing is getting uglier and weirder by the minute. Child abuse charges have been dropped for all five defendants because the state missed the 10-day rule to show evidence for probable cause.

I've got no problem with the judge doing this. The good guys failed to follow the rules, and following the rules is what separates the good guys from the bad guys. But what the hell? Didn't someone at the prosecutor's office have a freaking calendar?

And NBC reported that a portion of the compound was bulldozed? What's that about?
Old 30 August 2018, 09:55
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post

I've got no problem with the judge doing this. The good guys failed to follow the rules, and following the rules is what separates the good guys from the bad guys. But what the hell? Didn't someone at the prosecutor's office have a freaking calendar?
I don't think law enforcement and the prosecutors are taking enough heat on this case. The judge, to my knowledge, is following the law, however painful that may be to some who haven't dug into the facts of this case and read up on how the investigation and prosecution have failed.
Old 30 August 2018, 19:23
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
the state missed the 10-day rule to show evidence for probable cause.

...a portion of the compound was bulldozed?
Am not familiar with the relevant legislation....so....can the state lay charges again in the future, when they finally get a case together?

Bulldozing the site seems strange. HazMat / BioHazard concerns are the only thing that springs to mind to justify that while the matter is still being investigated. I'm ASSuming it's still being investigated since evidence hasn't been submitted.

But plenty of people will think this is proof of some conspiracy or other.
Old 30 August 2018, 21:23
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Am not familiar with the relevant legislation....so....can the state lay charges again in the future, when they finally get a case together?
I'm not familiar with New Mexico law, but I think they can. None of the stories I read suggested otherwise.
Old 31 August 2018, 08:01
A/1/75

All charges have been dropped now.

Charlie
Old 31 August 2018, 11:31
Make a desert and call it peace.

FFS, so dead kid and zero charges for anything? S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 31 August 2018, 12:02
Did...did I do that?

I don't see that the charges relating to the death have been dropped; it's just been the child abuse charges regarding the 11 surviving kids. Those kids are all in foster care right now, too.

I haven't heard anything about terrorism charges. I'd assume the feds would be on that if the evidence supported it since they were supposedly going to attack a hospital in Atlanta.

Albuquerque Journal coverage

Taos News article 1 article 2
Old 31 August 2018, 12:29
A/1/75

My fault, I read the article again and it was misleading.

Charlie
Old 31 August 2018, 12:57
Confirmed User

Wasn't this really just a procedural thing? The judge didn't adjudicate she just said that the prosecution ran out of time and she had to let them go, as I understand it they can just re-arrest, file charges and present whatever evidence they need to. Am I missing something?
Old 31 August 2018, 14:43
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Wasn't this really just a procedural thing? The judge didn't adjudicate she just said that the prosecution ran out of time and she had to let them go, as I understand it they can just re-arrest, file charges and present whatever evidence they need to. Am I missing something?
I believe so. Seems the DA thought that there would be a 60-day limit, not the 10-day limit. I think one of the Taos News articles says he's working on refilling the charges.
Old 31 August 2018, 18:49
Life is simple, not easy.

Well I just read that the FBI has swooped in and arrested 5 people previously released.
Old 31 August 2018, 20:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Well I just read that the FBI has swooped in and arrested 5 people previously released.
Bastards. Can't they leave those poor people alone? Haven't they been persecuted enough?

Our new posting rules