Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28 November 2014, 18:36

College student looking at PJ vs CRO

Hi everyone,

I am currently a Student at The University of Texas studying biology. I am doing a premed track but realized about a year ago Pararescue is my absolute dream job. I've wanted to be a surgeon for some time now but CSAR just consumed my life. I was about to drop out of school and enlist but some things postponed my enlistment; now I am finishing my degree in biology with a minor in arabic and spanish. I have done a lot of research and know the difference as far as Medical training for a PJ compared to a CRO, but I want some opinions.

First I by no means expect the road to be easy, I understand the 90+% attrition rate, but I am taking the jump regardless.

Second, my father just retired 20 years Air Force and has been trying to convince me to look at going CRO. The pay is much better and I could retire much more comfortably as an officer, but I want to be in the action the whole time with the PJs, I don't know that I want to be an officer. I must clarify that I am not in this for the money at all, but I would like to support my family someday.

Finally, I still would like to do trauma surgery after the Air Force, and I feel that enlisting would give me more experience. although if life happens to put me in the position where I stay in (financially or simply because I want to), I wonder if officer is the way to go.

I apologize for the novel, but thank you to anyone who answers!

Our new posting rules