SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > AFSOC Aviation

Old 16 September 2019, 20:46
Six Minutes!

Sadly, Draco, a highly modified Wilga ground looped today and was pretty cracked up. Mike (pilot/owner/builder) is okay. I hope he rebuilds.

For those who don't know, Draco is a bad ass plane, won it's class at Valdez by a LOT. Guy spent millions on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 16 September 2019, 23:04
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Ok stupid question: why planes and not rotary wings for these remote environments? I would hate to land a plane somewhere and then have a bitch of a time trying to takeoff again. With a chopper you’re in and out. There must be valid reasons for plane vs chopper, but they are not obvious to me.
One big factor is, it's illegal to have helicopters touch anything to do with hunting up here. If that changed I think you would see the aircraft ownership demographic change dramatically just about overnight. You can use them for fishing most places, but not everywhere.
Old 17 September 2019, 07:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Sadly, Draco, a highly modified Wilga ground looped today and was pretty cracked up. Mike (pilot/owner/builder) is okay. I hope he rebuilds.

For those who don't know, Draco is a bad ass plane, won it's class at Valdez by a LOT. Guy spent millions on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs
Damn, that was a bad ass plane. I'm sure he'll rebuild it, improving it (somehow) in the process.
Old 17 September 2019, 13:11
Been There Done That

I logged a couple of skydives from a Wilga in FRG in the late 80's...

I wanted to bring one home with me when I DEROS's

There was an operator in Edmonton in 1978 that put a PT6 in a Beaver - that was the shit at that time...
Old 17 September 2019, 15:10
33,024 - R.I.P.

I'm actually at Maule Flight Inc. today. Cool little STOL airplane.
Old 16 October 2019, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
One big factor is, it's illegal to have helicopters touch anything to do with hunting up here. If that changed I think you would see the aircraft ownership demographic change dramatically just about overnight. You can use them for fishing most places, but not everywhere.
For me it’s the $500 per flight hour, out of KFDK.
Old 17 October 2019, 14:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
For me it’s the $500 per flight hour, out of KFDK.
what airframe? last I looked for shits and giggles, a 206 rental was $1k/hr wet.

granted, I've never flown in or looked at costs for a R-22/44/66... but it's still pricy to run rotary. given enough space, I'd run a STOL fixed wing all day long over rotary, as a personal aircraft.

I watched the Draco build videos and am seriously impressed with him. broke my heart when I saw he'd totaled it. I respect the hell out of how he's handled it.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 17 October 2019, 14:54
Confirmed User

"I'm actually at Maule Flight Inc. today. Cool little STOL airplane."

That's pretty cool JAFO, I used to pass by there on my way to our plant in Moultrie. Always meant to stop in and look around but never got around to it.
Old 20 October 2019, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
what airframe? last I looked for shits and giggles, a 206 rental was $1k/hr wet.

granted, I've never flown in or looked at costs for a R-22/44/66... but it's still pricy to run rotary. given enough space, I'd run a STOL fixed wing all day long over rotary, as a personal aircraft.

I watched the Draco build videos and am seriously impressed with him. broke my heart when I saw he'd totaled it. I respect the hell out of how he's handled it.
R44 from Advanced Helicopter; could get away a little cheaper with the R22. I will do some rotor work once IFR certified. I am mostly interested in STOL for mission work in remote areas.

Our new posting rules