SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 14 February 2018, 13:47
Been There Done That

The new apple watch series 3 is great.
I can play music bluetooth to my headphones, while it tracks my runs on gps and my heart rate via wrist. I use it on my bike, swimming laps, running, it works very well.

I can take or make calls on it, however the antenna is not as good as on my phone. But if I needed to call the wife or 911 on my run, no problem.
I've had no problems at all with it.
Old 14 February 2018, 14:31
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Don't forget your phone. If you forget it, enjoy the lack of interruptions until you have it again.

I'll be the lone tin foil hat guy for this thread. Smart watches are a bad idea.
So I had a tablet on my verizon account come up for an upgrade and I got a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier.

Do far, it monitors my sleep with a paid for ap, that is very accurate and helpful, how much I exercise and eat. It also lets me send messages and make calls when I do not have my phone with me. (Although I believe that is goes through my phone via the LTE network). It does read phone numbers from my phone and offers caller id when someone calls. Everyone says the speaker and mic are better than calls from my phone.

I am still trying to figure out how to fully use it. I think most of the good apps are pay for use. I am looking for a GPS/navigation app now.

It also has some parochial apps like calendar and music that I am hoping to be able to link to the apps on my phone. Not gonna try and manage 2 calendars.

More to come.

gavin, I hide in plain sight but as always, am glad to hear your reasons.
Old 16 February 2018, 17:16
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
The new apple watch series 3 is great.
I can play music bluetooth to my headphones, while it tracks my runs on gps and my heart rate via wrist. I use it on my bike, swimming laps, running, it works very well.

I can take or make calls on it, however the antenna is not as good as on my phone. But if I needed to call the wife or 911 on my run, no problem.
I've had no problems at all with it.
Did you have a 2 series prior to owning the 3? I have read that the main difference is phone call/text messaging capabilities without proximity to your actual phone. It also has an additional cost through your wireless provider for that function. That seems to be the only functional/practical difference. Is that correct?
Old 17 February 2018, 22:01
Been There Done That

I didn't have a series 2, only the 3.
I can call from the watch and leave my phone at home.
My provider hits me for an additional 15 a month to add the watch.
Old 18 February 2018, 00:15
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
I didn't have a series 2, only the 3.
I can call from the watch and leave my phone at home.
My provider hits me for an additional 15 a month to add the watch.
That's what I've read. Not sure I need that function.
The best feature IMO is that it is water resistant/proof. The 2 series has that capability.

Thanks for the info.
Old 19 February 2018, 09:29
Confirmed User

Garmin Vivoactive HR has served me pretty well. It's the watch I wear the most

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 19 February 2018, 10:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
Garmin Vivoactive HR has served me pretty well. It's the watch I wear the most
Same here, have used it for the last year and a it has everything I need.
It is accurate when swimming laps at the local pool, on the indoor rowing machine, give splits on long runs with heart rate and was accurate when used with the correct app when I did triathlon this past fall.
I don't need all the bells and whistles that the iwatch has and seems to be more accurate compared to my friends that use fitbit.
I only wear it while training and on weekends. It is nice to see on my wrist who is calling or texting me without having to pull my phone out of back pocket.
Old 19 February 2018, 10:18
A/1/75

How durable are these? I get cheap Timex watches as they take a beating. Wrenching on the tractor/bike/car or using Bug spray tends to be hard on them
I had the S2, it was OK, just didn't last.

Charlie
Old 19 February 2018, 10:30
Confirmed User

I can only speak for the Garmin products, I have had a forerunner and the Vivoactive HR and have not had any issue with damage during exercise, and outdoor sports (Snow boarding, Wake Boarding, Basketball, playground with my four year old and going to the range)
I do not wear it everyday for work, I have a G-Shock that has never had an issue and takes a beating everyday. I work in a automotive repair shop and it gets dirty and banged on everyday, but it is not a smart watch so enough about it. I do not think the Vioactive could hold up in my works environment. I think the lens would get scratched/cracked and the electronics would have issues when I weld and get chemicals on it.
Old 19 February 2018, 10:44
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Don't forget your phone. If you forget it, enjoy the lack of interruptions until you have it again.

I'll be the lone tin foil hat guy for this thread. Smart watches are a bad idea.
I would agree however if they require you to be within Bluetooth of your phone, does it matter? Our phones are a 25/7 tracking device that reveals our IMSI, IMEI, Contacts, Facebook and social media accounts, location, etc. Assuming a Smart Phone of course. Now if the Smart Watch doesnít have to be paired and uses cellular and WiFi I definitely agree.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 19 February 2018, 12:19
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
gavin, I hide in plain sight but as always, am glad to hear your reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I would agree however if they require you to be within Bluetooth of your phone, does it matter? Our phones are a 25/7 tracking device that reveals our IMSI, IMEI, Contacts, Facebook and social media accounts, location, etc. Assuming a Smart Phone of course. Now if the Smart Watch doesn’t have to be paired and uses cellular and WiFi I definitely agree.
Two issues for me:

1) Smart watches are becoming a major PITA in the .gov/.mil, and (you heard it here first!) pretty soon there will be no watches of any kind allowed in any buildings that currently don't allow cell phones. This is because a lot of dumbasses don't know that their smart phone is a smart phone, and wear it into the SCIF. Hell, I was back at Bragg a year ago, and watched a WHOLE BUNCH of folks using and carrying phones in secure facilities. I asked each of them why they were walking around a secure facility with a nonsecure mobile device, and each of them told me that their phone was an issued device, so it was okay to carry it in a secure building...and this is why we can't have nice things. This was in the building that you and I last met in, M.

2) A lot of tech manufacturers are not forthcoming about the true capabilities of their products. Anyone who works in any sort of sensitive job needs to remember that. Just because you think you know how your device connects to others does not mean that you are correct. We have caught LOTS of companies putting "back doors" into tech devices that they did not disclose to consumers (including consumers who take a very dim view of that sort of thing).
Old 25 February 2018, 12:05
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Great review of the Garmin watches. I've had interest in them for awhile now, but did not want to be an early adopter. I'm interested in the Garmin tactix Bravo

How accurate are the barometer and altimeter reading
So we originally ran the Tactix and it was pretty nice. We ran quite a few HAHO courses with it and the altimeter was spot on. We had some issues with them dying and not being able to update or stay on without being on the charger (expensive paperweight). We upgraded to the Bravo and we love them. You can very accurately run your entire HAHO off them, then hit the ground running. Battery life is great and they charge really fast. Having the little alert if itís connected to your phone about texts and calls is really convenient as well, Iím a huge fan.
Tracking runs, swims, etc itís done really well for me, Iíve ever used the golf function though. Good luck!
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 25 February 2018, 13:36
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I would agree however if they require you to be within Bluetooth of your phone, does it matter? Our phones are a 25/7 tracking device that reveals our IMSI, IMEI, Contacts, Facebook and social media accounts, location, etc. Assuming a Smart Phone of course. Now if the Smart Watch doesnít have to be paired and uses cellular and WiFi I definitely agree.
I have since learned that it works through your phone via LTE. So I was at CVS and left my phone at home and my calls and texts still came in. Kind of a hybrid connection. I am going to experiment by turning my phone off and trying to make a call.
Old 25 February 2018, 14:00
Unemployed Stunt Double

An old team mate texted me a few weeks ago, asked me to call him at my earliest convenience. So, I called him. He answers, says ďHey, Iím on my watch, let me get my phone and call you back.Ē

I try to explain to my son about life before cell phones, and we are already moving past them.
Old 25 February 2018, 23:03
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
So we originally ran the Tactix and it was pretty nice. We ran quite a few HAHO courses with it and the altimeter was spot on. We had some issues with them dying and not being able to update or stay on without being on the charger (expensive paperweight). We upgraded to the Bravo and we love them. You can very accurately run your entire HAHO off them, then hit the ground running. Battery life is great and they charge really fast. Having the little alert if itís connected to your phone about texts and calls is really convenient as well, Iím a huge fan.
Tracking runs, swims, etc itís done really well for me, Iíve ever used the golf function though. Good luck!
This is just very cool. When I went to HALO School we had altimeters, compasses. Like a damn race car cockpit. Now its all on one doo-hickey.

I am still learning to use mine but it tracks workouts (It thought I went on a bike ride when I delivered hay in my tractor) calories etc. The best is the way it tracks my sleep. It even knows when I get up to pee. I am looking for the navigation app next.
Old 26 February 2018, 01:13
jump fiend

Quote:
This is just very cool. When I went to HALO School we had altimeters, compasses. Like a damn race car cockpit. Now its all on one doo-hickey.

I am still learning to use mine but it tracks workouts (It thought I went on a bike ride when I delivered hay in my tractor) calories etc. The best is the way it tracks my sleep. It even knows when I get up to pee. I am looking for the navigation app next.
We still run various other doohickeys for backup, but it's also all on your watch. It's pretty amazing, you're right. The next update we are looking for is Galileo and GLONASS receivers in our watches too.
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 26 February 2018, 09:07
33,024 - R.I.P.

Thanks for the review bug.
Old 28 February 2018, 17:35

Quote:
It even knows when I get up to pee. I am looking for the navigation app next.
So, I'm not the only one who's been caught pissing in the kitchen sink and had to act like I was lost?
Cool!

Thanks for this thread and the folks weighing in about Garmin; I'm not manly enough for that Tactix but the Vivoactive line looks like a good replacement for my ancient Suunto.
DaveP
Old 12 March 2018, 13:01

Iím using Apple Watch Series 3 and Iím very satisfied with this device! First of all, it has great modern design. Also it helps to control your moving activity. As online essay writer with a sedentary lifestyle, I care about it.
During all day Iím fully diving into my paperwork and in the evening I can check the result of my daily actions
Old 13 March 2018, 22:17
Been There Done That

I don't have any experience with them but I would give the Tag Heuer Connected modular watch a hard look.

Our new posting rules