SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 August 2001, 23:56
Grey,Green,Brown&Oakover

Women in para regt??????

I saw a pic in "Soldier" magazine of a bands women in the Para Regt Band.
She had on the beret.
Do women do P Coy now?
Thats the only road into the regt isn't it?
Old 12 August 2001, 06:55
Probationary User

Thumbs down

I have to confess I don't know much about the Para's band, just had a quick look round on their website (http://www.paraband.org.uk/main.html - you need Flash to view it). Nothing on their abou women being involed.

AFAIK passing through p-coy is the ONLY way in, certainly no shortcuts... if that had changed i'm sure we would have heard about it before now. are you sure it was the para band??
Old 12 August 2001, 07:23
Confirmed User

There are loads of women in 23 Parachute Field Ambulance now - all of which have had to pass P Coy.

I think some women can do a better job in combat that some men. This isn't sexist, its' just fact, women handle stress better. However women are prone to certain stero-typing. I think that women can do a fine job in support and combat support roles. Intelligence being just one. I don't think for one second though they are as capable in military close quarter battle.

Its worth mentioning here the role of women in SOE during WWII. I'd say they were equal to their male counter parts.
Old 12 August 2001, 08:57
td
Visitor

They might not have passed p-coy. Some support elements don't. Such as AGC ect... they will still wear the maroon beret(with their own unit's cap badge) but they won't have wings. Women are not allowed into the parachute regiment and I didn't know ,until I read that previous post, that any had actually passed p-coy.
Old 12 August 2001, 08:58
td
Visitor

-oops double post----

[This message has been edited by td (edited 08-12-2001).]
Old 12 August 2001, 15:15
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

..they're not women, just British men.

Old 18 August 2001, 16:27
Weekend Warrior
Visitor

TD is right. The maroon beret symbolises belonging to an airborne formation, in this case 16 Air Asst Bde. The exception is the airmobile infantry component of 16 Bde, who retain their own regimental headdress.
The wings are the signifier of someone who has passed the jumps course, and in order to have done this, they must have passed P Coy, apart from several notable exceptions such as the RM, UKSF, RAF Regiment (who have to undergo a course based on P Coy), Prince Charles, etc.
The fact that hats can wear the Maroon Beret purely on the basis of being appointed to a formation is obviously a bone of contention with anyone who has passed P Coy. However, support personnel are obviously essential, and the powers that be don't want to make an exception for the Paras and set a precedent. (The same rules applying for attached personnel whether they are attached to the SAS, Commando units, line infantry, cavalry or whatever).
Whether the women in 23 Para Fd Amb have passed P Coy I wouldn't like to comment on as I have been away for a while. However, when I left, no woman had attempted P Coy, and the third of the three women to attempt the All Arms Commando Course had been injured and RTU'd
Old 18 August 2001, 16:33
Weekend Warrior
Visitor

Oh yeah, the women are in the Parachute Regiment Band and are therefore technically "full" members of the regiment in perhaps a similar way to which Army Cadets are "part" of their regimental "family". What they are not is obviously members of one of the three para battalions. Incidentally, bandsmen are used and have been used since the times of the Ancient Greeks and Romans to follow up behind their units and tend to the wounded and dead; I know one ex-bandsman sergeant who fought in the Falklands.
Old 19 August 2001, 13:42
Probationary User

I know that personnel attached to the Regiment are no longer allowed to wear the beret or belt. there was a fuss kicked up a couple of years ago and they don't get to wear them anymore. there were too many fat people running round wearing the kit, i think it pissed off the head shed and the sabre squadron guys a bit too much LOL
Old 20 August 2001, 15:04
Probationary User

1,2 and 3 are definitely still around. 4 is the TA one. I'm pretty sure they dis-banded one of the TA units (10 Para?)... not too sure though.
Old 22 August 2001, 18:45
irn45
Visitor

Thumbs up

Women have been allowed to do P-Coy for a long time now, mainly the women from medical units or 7 (Para) Royal Horse Artillery.
Women in the band are not trained infantry soldier nor airborne trained, same as the Royal Marine band, females with Green Beret but not Commandos.

10 Para was a former TA battalion but all the TA units have merged into just 4 Para. 10 Battalion has now become 10 Company of 4th (Volunteer) Battalion.
Old 8 September 2001, 08:54
Northern Lad
Visitor

Yeah, 10 Para was disbanded in December 98 if memory serves (I was a recruit in it and rememeber General Mike Jackson giving the bad news), at the time 2 girls were on my cadre, neither of whom passed, but they didn't do badly either. Many fitter lads dropped out and I got injured before passing out myself. Back in October if anyone else is joining.
Old 8 September 2001, 09:43
Probationary User

Thumbs up

northern lad, I'm going into the regular army in January... aiming for Para Regt. Which unit are you trying out for?
Old 8 September 2001, 10:14
Weekend Warrior
Visitor

Northern Lad, just curious; on your cadre did you know a guy who's initials were SC, and later moved down south?
Old 12 September 2001, 14:12
Northern Lad
Visitor

The unit I will be trying for will be 10company 4 Para, as it is now. Originally I was a recruit in 4company 10 Para, based in the Kings Road Chelsea, before it was shut down and everything shunted over to White City barracks. Can't recall anyone with the initials SC, mainly sir names, do remember a Clarke and a Cunningham, however, its been a while...

Our new posting rules