SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 26 June 2016, 09:25
I really don't care

Marine calls VA Suicide Hotline, put on hold; shoots himself.

Pretty tough shit here. I'm sure this was a call center and not a VA medical center, but they must be held responsible. There is always 2 sides to every story, but their attitude is bullshit.

http://controversialtimes.com/news/q...utm_source=AFY
Old 26 June 2016, 09:50
Un-confirmed User

Sad story...

...reach out and check on your buddies goddammit.
Old 26 June 2016, 09:58
Authorized Personnel

In regards to the VA 'crisis' or suicide hotline...

I personally know or have been involved on two separate occasions when family or friends have called about a veteran in distress, only to be told that there is nothing the VA can do unless the veteran calls or checks himself into a VA center voluntarily
Old 26 June 2016, 10:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

I personally know or have been involved on two separate occasions when family or friends have called about a veteran in distress, only to be told that there is nothing the VA can do unless the veteran calls or checks himself into a VA center voluntarily
I truly hate that. Everyone is always ready to help until it's time to help...and then there is always a few more steps involved.
Old 26 June 2016, 10:52
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:

Here in Aussie we have a saying and I have seen it written here on SOCnet, who will look after us if we don't look after ourselves?

One of the biggest issues we face here Downunder is the physical and emotional separation from Mates post deployments/discharge. That coupled with this ingrained attitude of not asking for help means we, as a Warrior Community need to look to our left and right (figuratively speaking) and check our Buddies.

Some of the best help isn't coming from DVA here in Aussie, but rather the Peer-2-Peer programs like Trojan's Trek, Soldier On, Walking Warriors et al.

I know All Y'all have P2P Programs running CONUS and I know of one in Canada. If the Brits have one, one of you Squaddies can chime in and let us know but folks, the heavy lifting on this is up to Us Warriors because we all know those shit-stains we call "Public Servants" aren't worth the cost of the condom that could have prevented their parent's spawning!

I still have a peripheral involvement in Trojan's Trek here in Aussie and am happy to field queries from people.

I'll say one last thing, if you catch yourself in a downward spiral, things are getting "too hard" or thoughts of "everyone would be better off without me" stuff going through your brain pan on endless loop ... well then I don't care if you are the baddest arse-kicker ever, you're now in danger so check your package and PM/Ring/Invite a Brother or Sister to coffee and A S K for help!

They may simply direct you to the local VA, but at least you are now on their radar and I am sure, they'd follow you up...I know I damn well will and I do not give one flying-fat-rat's arse if you are Aussie, Pom, Yank or Left-handed Rastafarian...I will make time to check up on anyone who asks me for help regardless of time zones!

As Tripod wrote above, he has "personally been involved" ... the VA may have been a shit sandwich but I'll bet Tripod followed up, checked in or whatever the hell he does when he is not flying the "Kill a Commie for Mommie" Patch

Lest We Forget the Dead, but Fight Like Hell for the living!

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited by Old_Starlight; 26 June 2016 at 11:14.
Old 26 June 2016, 10:58
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
Here in Aussie we have a saying and I have seen it written here on SOCnet, who will look after us if we don't look after ourselves?

One of the biggest issues we face here Downunder is the physical and emotional separation from Mates post deployments/discharge. That coupled with this ingrained attitude of not asking for help means we, as a Warrior Community need to look to our left and right (figuratively speaking) and check our Buddies.

Some of the best help isn't coming from DVA here in Aussie, but rather the Peer-2-Peer programs like Trojan's Trek, Soldier On, Walking Warriors et al.

I know All Y'all have P2P Programs running CONUS and I know of one in Canada. If the Brits have one, one of you Squaddies can chime in and let us know but folks, the heavy lifting on this is up to Us Warriors because we all know those shit-stains we call "Public Servants" aren't worth the cost of the condom that could have prevented their parent's spawning!

I still have a peripheral involvement in Trojan's Trek here in Aussie and am happy to field queries from people.

I'll say one last thing, if you catch yourself in a downward spiral, things are getting "too hard" or thoughts of "everyone would be better off without me" stuff going through your brain pan on endless loop ... well then I don't care if your are the baddest arse-kicker ever, you're now in danger so check your package and PM/Ring/Invite a Brother or Sister to coffee and A S K for help!

They may simply direct you to the local VA, but at least you are now on their radar and I am sure, they'd follow you up...I know I damn well will and I do not give one flying-fat-rat's arse if you are Aussie, Pom, Yank or Left-handed Rastafarian...I will make time to check up on anyone who asks me for help regardless of time zones!

As Tripod wrote above, he has "personally been involved" ... the VA may have been a shit sandwich but I'll bet Tripod followed up, checked in or whatever the hell he does when he is not flying the "Kill a Commie for Mommie" Patch

Lest We Forget the Dead, but Fight Like Hell for the living!
Well stated. Should be a sticky.
Old 26 June 2016, 11:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Well stated. Should be a sticky.
I concur. Very well said OS.

Despite the good intentions by many, nobody knows US better than US. When a brother or sister is struggling those that have not been there may try their best, but so often fall short in those attempts.

It is IMO so very important that if you become aware of a situation, and can offer assistance in anyway, even if just a phone call or two, you man/girl up and do it. When we retired or got out of service our obligations did not end. It will make a difference
Old 26 June 2016, 13:11
Never to old to learn

Just a little up date on the phone number for the hot line

Just make sure you Press (1)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Health Bens.jpg (14.0 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by wildman43; 26 June 2016 at 13:12. Reason: wording
Old 26 July 2016, 16:51
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:

Unfortunately, this is true. While it is most often the family or buddies that identify the crisis, unless the individual enters of their own free will, there is nothing that can be done. People still have the right to not get the help they need. Believe me, I have stood out in the rain and snow for hours trying to talk someone into coming into the ED for treatment. If they refuse, then there is nothing anyone can do.

Except in some states (MA) if you can get LE involved they can Section 12 the person if they are a danger to themselves. Tough but true.
Old 26 July 2016, 18:24
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. While it is most often the family or buddies that identify the crisis, unless the individual enters of their own free will, there is nothing that can be done. People still have the right to not get the help they need. Believe me, I have stood out in the rain and snow for hours trying to talk someone into coming into the ED for treatment. If they refuse, then there is nothing anyone can do.

Except in some states (MA) if you can get LE involved they can Section 12 the person if they are a danger to themselves. Tough but true.
They cannot intervene if you want to end your life, but they can intervene to manage your money or own a firearm.

For Fuck's Sake
Old 27 July 2016, 02:02
RIP Cass and SOTB

What a fucking shame. When will they fix this? If somebody calls a number specifically made to help or get you to a place that can help, puts you on hold when you are thinking of killing yourself? This is fucking horseshit. If veterans were 14 year old girls calling, they would get help immediately. And as someone else previously stated, they can take your right to carry a weapon at the blink of an eye or take pay for whatever they feel like, but can't talk to somebody and try to help the person who raised his hand to serve a country and protect it from the wolves gets put on hold?

Fuck that shit. If ANY AND I MEAN ANY OF YOU NEED TO TALK, OR JUST SOMEONE TO LISTEN, PM ME!!! I'LL DROP WHATEVER I'M DOING AND CALL YOU AND DO MY BEST TO HELP.

Please warriors, please understand it's ok to ask for help.
Old 27 July 2016, 06:09
Been There Done That

My Brother was veteran who committed suicide. He gave up on the VA along time ago, just like I have.

Our new posting rules