SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 9 January 2017, 18:31
I really don't care

How long before survivor benefits kick in after initial filing?

A close friend of mine lost her father a few weeks ago and will be filing for her mother to get his survivor benefits. He was a VN Vet with agent orange issues and others; 100% SD. He had only been using the VA system for a few years. Anyone know from experience how long it takes.
Old 9 January 2017, 19:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
A close friend of mine lost her father a few weeks ago and will be filing for her mother to get his survivor benefits. He was a VN Vet with agent orange issues and others; 100% SD. He had only been using the VA system for a few years. Anyone know from experience how long it takes.
ramzmedic,
Sorry for you loss. I hope this helps.
v/r
fkl

http://benefits.va.gov/compensation/..._indemnity.asp

To qualify for DIC, a surviving spouse must meet the requirements below.
The surviving spouse was:
• Married to a Servicemember who died on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, OR
• Validly married the Veteran before January 1, 1957, OR
• Married the Veteran within 15 years of discharge from the period of military service in which the disease or injury that caused the Veteran's death began or was aggravated, OR
• Was married to the Veteran for at least one year, OR
• Had a child with the Veteran, AND
• Cohabited with the Veteran continuously until the Veteran's death or, if separated, was not at fault for the separation, AND
• Is not currently remarried
Note: A surviving spouse who remarries on or after December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, is entitled to continue to receive DIC.

http://www.vetangels.org/frequently-asked-questions/

Q. How long does the process take?
A. Once the necessary documentation is compiled and submitted to the DVA, it generally takes 4-6 months to receive approval, sometimes longer. However, the claimant will receive the benefit retroactive to the first of the month following submission to the DVA. Benefits are received monthly by direct deposit just like Social Security. The VA has established the “Fully Developed Claims” program which can greatly shorten the processing time. “Fully Developed Claim” means everything the VA needs to process the claim comes to the VA at one time, in one claim. Read more about the VA’s Fully Developed Claim.
Old 9 January 2017, 21:37
Never to old to learn

Fu King lawyer;This is the current info as of Dec 2016

How to Apply

To apply for Survivors Pension, download and complete VA Form 21-534

EZ, http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-534EZ-ARE.pdf

“Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits” and mail it to the Pension Management Center (PMC)
http://www.benefits.va.gov/PENSION/r...es-contact.asp

that serves your state. You may also visit your local regional benefit office and turn in your application for processing. You can locate your local regional benefit office using the VA Facility Locator.

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/d...lsh.asp?dnum=3

http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/spousepen.asp

Last edited by wildman43; 9 January 2017 at 21:39. Reason: web link
Old 9 January 2017, 22:31
I really don't care

Hey thanks guys!!
Old 10 January 2017, 11:38
Confirmed User

If you visit your local VARO make sure to follow up, the Phoenix VARO has screwed me twice now by not taking care of information I requested in person (they never submitted or worked on my FOIA for my C File)
Old 10 January 2017, 17:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
If you visit your local VARO make sure to follow up, the Phoenix VARO has screwed me twice now by not taking care of information I requested in person (they never submitted or worked on my FOIA for my C File)
During my years of frustration with the VA, it was my experience that if you don't get the VA to say they rec'd your request, it will never get done. So for instance, when you go in person to make a FOIA - I suggest you have a written request, along with a copy. Have the Regional Office put a date stamp on your copy and keep it. Sadly, when you have to go the IG or the congressional route, that date stamped copy is the only thing that seems to get their attention. I would normally ask that the person responsible for processing my request has not responded in (120) days and they be identified by name. I request that the VA terminate the employee for the efficiency of the federal government. Gets their attention...
Old 10 January 2017, 17:55
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
During my years of frustration with the VA, it was my experience that if you don't get the VA to say they rec'd your request, it will never get done. So for instance, when you go in person to make a FOIA - I suggest you have a written request, along with a copy. Have the Regional Office put a date stamp on your copy and keep it. Sadly, when you have to go the IG or the congressional route, that date stamped copy is the only thing that seems to get their attention. I would normally ask that the person responsible for processing my request has not responded in (120) days and they be identified by name. I request that the VA terminate the employee for the efficiency of the federal government. Gets their attention...
should make that a sticky
Old 10 January 2017, 18:07
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Just a question did you fill out the ROIF in written an tell them how you would like it? on a Disk or paper copy an what address to sent it to. Is you current address up to date in the V.A. system. IF NOT then it will go to the last KNOWN address you have on RECORD.
Old 10 January 2017, 18:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Just a question did you fill out the ROIF in written an tell them how you would like it? on a Disk or paper copy an what address to sent it to. Is you current address up to date in the V.A. system. IF NOT then it will go to the last KNOWN address you have on RECORD.
Yes I had a copy stamped by the Phoenix VARO as received on such and such day.

I did not specify how I wanted (disk or paper).

Yes my address is current, I called the 1-800 line and they hadn't received it, I faxed it in, it now shows up as a pending claim with a completion date of July 2018-Aug 2019

Quote:
Status of Your Claim

Claim Received
Submitted: 12/06/2016 (Freedom of Information Act / Privacy Act Request)
Estimated Completion: 07/11/2018 - 08/26/2019

Our new posting rules