SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 27 May 2011, 21:23
Been There Done That

Team Red, White, and Blue

First, watch this clip from yesterday's Today Show: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...80324#43180324

I don't create many new threads here, but, given this weekend of rememberance, if anyone is looking for an avenue to contribute to our warriors who have sacrificed so much, I wanted everyone to know of the organization Team Red, White, and Blue.

Mark and I were on the same team in 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (The Desert Eagles). Last summer, in southern Afghanistan, insurgents planted an IED that ended up taking both his legs, a large portion from his right arm, shrapnel to his chest, among several other wounds. Also wounded in the attack was the team sergeant, who lost his left forearm. The team's senior medic saved their lives that day due to his perfect trauma care despite the massive wounds received.

The race featured on the show was the first time that many of us were able to see Mark as we had just returned home from our deployment that month. It was amazing to see how high his spirits were! The majority of the credit goes to Mark's strength and will to fight as well as the support of his wife, Tiffany. He has always had an incredible attitude before the attack, the type of guy who would do anything for anyone else and who wouldn't let the little things get him down, and, in Gettysburg for the race, he still acted like same old Mark, cracking jokes and trading old war stories with the current and former members of the team.

However, we also have to truly thank MAJ Mike Erwin, the founder of Team Red White and Blue and former Desert Eagle himself, for the support that he and his organization were able to give Mark and Tiff so they could help cope with their sacrifices. With that said, please go to http://www.teamrwb.org/ to support this organization through either volunteering to be an advocate and helping other soldiers like Mark, making a donation, or purchasing Team RWB gear. If you like to run 5K's or longer races, there are several events you could participate in order to raise awareness.

They currently have advocate centers in Detroit,Washington DC, Houston, Phoenix and Tampa, and are planning many more. Just fill out the form at http://www.teamrwb.org/get-involved/advocates if you want to volunteer your time to the life of a wounded veteran and his family. I can attest that this truly made a difference in the life of my friend and brother, Mark Holbert.

-ML
Old 27 May 2011, 21:39
Calculating Infinity...

Awesome organization and Mark's is an incredible story. Thank you for posting!
Old 28 May 2011, 02:43
Conquer Life.

Great video and awesome organization. Thanks!

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 30 May 2011, 21:39
Moving Target

I'm glad I got to see that, it was almost a tear jerking watching his daughter run out in front of him as he crossed then finish line.
Old 30 May 2011, 22:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I'm glad I got to see that, it was almost a tear jerking watching his daughter run out in front of him as he crossed then finish line.
She was happy that she won the race
Old 8 September 2011, 00:29
Been There Done That

On Sunday for the 10th anniversary of 9/11, members of Team RWB are making a 'moving tribute' to honor those lost on 9/11 and the servicemen & women who have been killed or wounded since 9/11 – and all their families. By committing to run, bike, walk, or hike on Sep 11th, we are carving out time on this 10th anniversary to reflect upon the tremendous sacrifice so many Americans have made.

Team RWB has people from all over the world, including soldiers deployed to Afghanistan, who have committed to make this moving tribute. We encourage you to make this tribute in groups, and where possible to meet at 8:30 am so you can hold a moment of silence at 8:46 am – when the North Tower was first attacked.

No matter where you're going to be on Sunday, September 11th, please join us.

Out in LA, I'm doing a half-marathon. Anyone who wants to join, send me a PM. Not a race, no registration, just a tribute run with some good people. Some of our guys will be in the SuperFrog tri in SD as well, feel free to engage them if you're down there.
Old 26 October 2016, 16:50
BT,WBTWC

Are there any SOCNET members, or Team Red White and Blue Members here who will be running the Marine Corps Marathon this year?

I'll be there with my lady, and would like to buy a drink or two for any SOCNET member in the Crystal City/Pentagon/Arlington area who can make it into the AO Friday or Saturday night. We will be at the Team RWB Pasta Dinner Saturday night.

Our new posting rules