SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 28 January 2016, 06:44
Been There Done That

VA Health Insurance?

Anyone use the VA for their health insurance? For those with less than 30% disabilities (no POW, MOH, etc. as well).

Interested in hearing if anyone is using this. How has it worked out?

Looking at options, and being told this maybe a way to go, rather than buying my own insurance through the ACA.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 January 2016, 10:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Anyone use the VA for their health insurance? For those with less than 30% disabilities (no POW, MOH, etc. as well).

Thanks.
LP, when I retired from the Army initially the VA rated me 10% and I enrolled in VA in the hopes of saving a few bucks. I learned that you get what you pay for. I am alive now because I switched to a private GP and pay for my supplemental insurance.

Please be careful, and be well. Good luck.
v/r
fkl
Old 28 January 2016, 10:54
Old and Grumpy

How about the VA for supplying your meds. Does anyone have any luck with that?
Old 28 January 2016, 11:11
In Vino Veritas

Quote:

Looking at options, and being told this maybe a way to go, rather than buying my own insurance through the ACA.

Thanks.
I have TriCare but went to the VA to register, there were lots of signs about people getting VA HC to satisfy the ACA requirement. Is it the way to go would depend on a few factors IMO.

1. Age. If you are young and relatively healthy you should only really need insurance for an unforeseen emergency. And thus not really need to depend on the VA for ongoing care.
2. Location. Is there a good VA in your area if you need it? I have heard horror stories about some VA hospitals compared to others.
3. Aging vet population in your area. When I went to the VA they couldn't see me for 2-3 months due to the influx of snow birds (see: Things I Hate thread), so I have to go to a hospital 3 hrs away if I want to be seen sooner.
Old 28 January 2016, 11:11
Been There Done That

When they were the same as my heart doctor prescribed it was great. They mailed them before I ran out and had not problem except keeping my yard dogs from eating the packages.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 28 January 2016, 12:58
Authorized Personnel

I used the VA in Durham for a while - and, except for 30-40 minutes waits beyond my appointment time, have had relatively good experiences. I also get meds mailed from them, and have never had an issue receiving them when I call the refill line.

When my health issues got t a certain point, he VA in Durham actually told me there wasn't much more they could do for me beyond pain management - so I reverted to my Tricare for life option and now am primarily on the civilian side. The VA said this because they are allowed to only dispense FDA approved drugs, and I was at a point where I needed to go into the experimental/clinical trial arena.

When people ask me my feelings about the VA I usually explain it this way. The VA is like a Motel 6. You get a bed, shower, and free cable. Not luxurious, but what you need.
Old 28 January 2016, 15:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

The VA to me is more like Jiffy Lube. Good for an oil change and a set of wiper blades. You need you car worked on go somewhere else. I go there and get bloodwork and a physical once a year. I need anything done, I go Tricare and the civ route. I can get more done in two visits at a civ Dr than I can get done in 6 months worth of appointments at the VA.
Old 28 January 2016, 20:21
Just fading away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
The VA to me is more like Jiffy Lube. Good for an oil change and a set of wiper blades. You need you car worked on go somewhere else. I go there and get bloodwork and a physical once a year. I need anything done, I go Tricare and the civ route. I can get more done in two visits at a civ Dr than I can get done in 6 months worth of appointments at the VA.
Word !
Old 29 January 2016, 09:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I have TriCare but went to the VA to register, there were lots of signs about people getting VA HC to satisfy the ACA requirement. Is it the way to go would depend on a few factors IMO.

1. Age. If you are young and relatively healthy you should only really need insurance for an unforeseen emergency. And thus not really need to depend on the VA for ongoing care.
2. Location. Is there a good VA in your area if you need it? I have heard horror stories about some VA hospitals compared to others.
3. Aging vet population in your area. When I went to the VA they couldn't see me for 2-3 months due to the influx of snow birds (see: Things I Hate thread), so I have to go to a hospital 3 hrs away if I want to be seen sooner.
Basically what I am looking for, just emergency care. I pretty much go to urgent care about once a year for a cold or illness. Private insurance through the ACA is going to cost around $450 a month! So if I can get something to cover me for anything catastrophic, meet the "tax requirement", and save $450 a month that would be a good thing.

I mean ACA is $450 a month, and their is around a $5000 deductible on top of that?!

Old 29 January 2016, 11:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Basically what I am looking for, just emergency care. I pretty much go to urgent care about once a year for a cold or illness. Private insurance through the ACA is going to cost around $450 a month! So if I can get something to cover me for anything catastrophic, meet the "tax requirement", and save $450 a month that would be a good thing.

I mean ACA is $450 a month, and their is around a $5000 deductible on top of that?!
Buddy - use the VA to meet the "tax requirement" for now. Hopefully we get a Republican in office in January, and he is serious about repealing ACA on day 1. THEN you can revisit your insurance needs once all the dust settles from the repeal
Old 29 January 2016, 11:42
Been There Done That

^I really like what Cruz said last night in the debate, regarding the ACA.

Old 29 January 2016, 12:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I pretty much go to urgent care about once a year for a cold or illness.
Brother, make sure you're getting your annual physicals. Let the doctors find those problems before they become life-threatening. Too many of us men don't. My father never did annual exams; by the time they found he had colon cancer, it had already metastasized to the rest of his organs.
Old 29 January 2016, 13:11
Preparing to defend

I use Tricare and bought a MOAA supplement. I have used the clinic here and the CHS VA with no complaints. Tripod and Gsniper are spot on in their advice. Play the tax game for now using the VA as your provider. Because, actually it is, if you get right down to it. What is happening right now will not be the same this time next year.

Biggest take away from this whole thread is get and keep your ass checked!
Old 29 January 2016, 13:22
Been There Done That

The tax penalty tax game is not applicable to me.

As far as health insurance goes I use Tricare for Life/Medicare and Tricare Prime for wife. Wife uses Military Treatment Facilities and I use VA (100% Service Connected).

I have no healthcare complaints. I'm traveling around the country permanently living in a RV and have not encountered any problem being seen by a doctor, getting prescriptions refilled or getting exams and treatment.
Old 30 January 2016, 00:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
I'm traveling around the country permanently living in a RV
When you & your RV pass thru Eastern Washington - give me a call :)
Old 30 January 2016, 10:55
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Asking the VA to be your primary health care provider is like Charlie Brown begging Lucy to please hold that football for him just one more time.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 30 January 2016, 13:38
Been There Done That

On the same subject, has anyone used the VA's Dental Care program?
It seems fairly new.
Old 30 January 2016, 14:19
Never to old to learn

I have used the V.A Dental on a couple of teeth I got broken out during training. Below is a link to the V.A. Dental

http://www.va.gov/DENTAL/index.asp

Last edited by wildman43; 30 January 2016 at 14:21. Reason: wording
Old 30 January 2016, 14:46
Been There Done That

Have been Class IV since 1996. 100% happy with dental care I have received through the VA.

I just utilized the Las Vegas VA dental office for some treatment as a transient passing through. Walked in, with no appointment or prior communication and got every thing done in one day after a 1-hour wait.

Best dental exam/treatment chair I ever sat in as it is a fancy one that gives back messages to the patient during the exam and treatment.

The VA facility is relatively new and I was quite impressed in the little exploring I did of the facility.

Last edited by johca; 30 January 2016 at 14:48. Reason: !v to IV
Old 1 February 2016, 10:26
Confirmed User

I'm 40% and love everything they've done for me so far. No complaints.

Not sure if anyone has looked into this but I've been on the OEF/OIF program which is 5 free years of full healthcare (not just service connected injuries) and 1 or 2 years of free dental, from the date that you separate from Active Duty (as long as you served in OEF or OIF).

They have taken good care of me. Meds, ER visits, etc. I don't pay any co-pays at all, or for anything period. The Louisville VA is squared away, but I also stay on top of them. Going through a small GI issue at the moment and they're actually more proactive than I am.

Our new posting rules