SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 25 June 2018, 09:23
Drawing my cutlass

People are ‘ghosting’ at work, and it's driving companies crazy

This term 'ghosting' is new to me, but I have a better word to describe it, rude.

And unprofessional.

Link here, I don't know whether you need a LI account to see the full article.

Quote:
Jo Weech, a Washington-based recruiter, found a software engineer she planned to hire, one with skills and experiences so rare she dubbed her a “purple unicorn,” recruiting-speak for a perfect find.

This candidate aced multiple interviews for a job supporting a federal contract. She breezed through a technical test. She had already nabbed a top-secret security clearance. Hiring managers wanted to bring her onboard. Weech called the candidate, intending to make an offer.

Suddenly, calls and texts went unreturned. Weech asked a colleague to reach out; he also got nowhere. Weech sent playful notes: “Please let me know that you have not been kidnapped by aliens. I’m worried about you.” She left voicemails. Then she started to get concerned: Was there an emergency in the candidate’s family? An illness? Car accident? Determined to make contact, Weech bought a greeting card and sent it via snail mail. Over three weeks, the engineer ignored a dozen messages.

Weech had been ghosted at work.

In fields ranging from food service to finance, recruiters and hiring managers say a tightening job market and a sustained labor shortage have contributed to a surge in professionals abruptly cutting off contact and turning silent — the type of behavior more often associated with online dating than office life. The practice is prolonging hiring, forcing companies to overhaul their processes and tormenting recruiters, who find themselves under constant pressure. “If you don’t love your job [as a recruiter], you’ll beat your head on your desk,” says John Widgren, a recruiter for Central Florida Health, a more than 3,000-employee health system outside Orlando.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 25 June 2018, 09:26
Been There Done That

What a stupid practice. Why bother with interviewing if you're not serious about the job?
Old 25 June 2018, 09:28
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
What a stupid practice. Why bother with interviewing if you're not serious about the job?
It's a strange, new world SGM.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 25 June 2018, 09:33
Authorized Personnel

It fits in with the "selfish" attitude that permeates our society today. It's all about "me" and it doesn't matter what time "you" have lost in scheduled interview time, having to advertise *again* after hiring someone a week ago who never showed up, etc.

The fact that it's out there making the news means it will simply grow in its use.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:33
Authorized Personnel

Firstly:

If you're at the point where you're being offered the position and you don't respond, your parents need their asses beat for raising you wrong.

On the other hand

Quote:
“I think they have learned it from the employers,” he said. “Employers were notorious for never getting back to people, and only letting them know what was going on if it turned out they wanted them to go to the next step.”

He added: “The employers have been far worse about this than any of the job seekers.”
Is also on target. Employers have traditionally been able to treat applicants pretty shittily - if you put out an advertisement you should let everyone who applies know one way or the other. It's not hard to send an email to people saying "you don't meet the qualifications"

But yeah, if you're being offered the position grab your fucking sack and decline the offer and thank them, because it won't always be a great market and people have long memories.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:43
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
But yeah, if you're being offered the position grab your fucking sack and decline the offer and thank them, because it won't always be a great market and people have long memories.
We get taught to always make a good first impression, I think that needs to be extended to always make a good last impression too.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 25 June 2018, 09:47
Confirmed User

"it won't always be a great market and people have long memories."

The phrase "burning bridges" comes to mind. A very unprofessional act on the part of any candidate.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:51
Been There Done That

Got to agree with KidA here.

I'm guilty of ghosting recruiters. IT recruiters. 9 times out of 10, they are a special breed of stupid. If I'm feeling charitable, I will educate them. Sometimes I just don't have time for that. I've been in the industry for two plus decades yet I still get asked to perform entry level jobs.

Was recently offered a job by a big software company I used to work for. During the initial screen, we discussed salary requirements. I was assured that the pay would be competitive and not a lateral move. Job was very similar to what I'm doing now. Made it all they way through. Got the offer. It was significantly lower than what I'm making now. No way they could renegotiate after the fact. Fuck them. After a quick note back thanking them for wasting my time, I stopped responding. Call that a ghost? Yep.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 25 June 2018, 09:53
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Combination of things.

Some of it is the way folks communicate today. So much online ability that simply not responding (like they do to emails or texts) in a passive aggressive way allows them to skip the uncomfortable conversation about why they are not taking the position.

Of course as pointed out above lots of employers and recruiters treated (for sure) tech people like they were disposable, not responding and what not. That people have started treating them the same way isnt surprising.

Of course I just look at the young people around me and even my daughter and can see that most will avoid anything uncomfortable.

Want to break up with someone? just stop taking their calls.
Want to avoid getting in an argument with someone, avoidance...

Even my daughter had a family in the area that owed her $150 for some dog sitting she did. The family told her they didn't have the cash the day they came home, just stop by next week.

My daughter literally avoided them for like 2 weeks, never walking by their house or just going over to ask for the money... She told me it was "uncomfortable" and she would just wait until the next time they called.

People today are limiting face to face social interaction, are taught to avoid any confrontation or subjects that may be "iffy". They dont sit at the dinner table and have frank, pointed discussions about good, bad, how to address some problem they had during the day. They never learn how to bring up bad news.

I think this is a big part of it.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:54
Been There Done That

This is one issue among many that were so prolific that we revamped our entire recruiting process.

We went from a 5:1 ratio of applicants to positions filled to a 20:1 ratio and our turnover rate for new hires increased to 85%. Our cost per hire sky rocketed and the quality of our workforce was on an abrupt decline.

Overall, it took us 5 months to correct these problems but most companies are still struggling with it.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by t10Guy View Post
Combination of things.

Some of it is the way folks communicate today. So much online ability that simply not responding (like they do to emails or texts) in a passive aggressive way allows them to skip the uncomfortable conversation about why they are not taking the position.

Of course as pointed out above lots of employers and recruiters treated (for sure) tech people like they were disposable, not responding and what not. That people have started treating them the same way isnt surprising.

Of course I just look at the young people around me and even my daughter and can see that most will avoid anything uncomfortable.

Want to break up with someone? just stop taking their calls.
Want to avoid getting in an argument with someone, avoidance...

Even my daughter had a family in the area that owed her $150 for some dog sitting she did. The family told her they didn't have the cash the day they came home, just stop by next week.

My daughter literally avoided them for like 2 weeks, never walking by their house or just going over to ask for the money... She told me it was "uncomfortable" and she would just wait until the next time they called.

People today are limiting face to face social interaction, are taught to avoid any confrontation or subjects that may be "iffy". They dont sit at the dinner table and have frank, pointed discussions about good, bad, how to address some problem they had during the day. They never learn how to bring up bad news.

Well said, sad but true.

See it as well at my martial arts school. Students just stop coming, no return of texts or anything. Don't have the malls to tell me not coming to class anymore due to whatever reason. Or if is a problem not want to discuss.

It is the new way of communication combined with the wussifucation of society and a lack of common courtesy/proper manners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 June 2018, 10:00
A/1/75

Just brought this up today, some of my younger guys said they Ghost "Friends" pretty often and think nothing of it. Few months later they reconnect.

Charlie
Old 25 June 2018, 10:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Firstly:

It's not hard to send an email to people saying "you don't meet the qualifications"
I disagree to a point. Many companies use applicant management software that pre-screens and filters applications. So there are many that the recruiter never touches. Plus the sheer volume of applicants would make this a daunting task. Not impossible but I don't think that it is a value added activity.

Most people simply click an apply button these days and move on. Where it gets interesting is when they have gone through orientation, filled out forms, drug screen, fingerprints etc. then don't show up on their first day. You would think that they would have enough skin in the game at this point.
Old 25 June 2018, 10:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Just brought this up today, some of my younger guys said they Ghost "Friends" pretty often and think nothing of it. Few months later they reconnect.
Ironically, the under 30 crowd - the ones suppose to be all
Text savey - are the one who are the worst returning messages.

Friends/students in their 30s and 40s always return.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 25 June 2018, 10:15
Been There Done That

I think the applicant took a job somewhere else and just might not have access to to old work email/numbers. I have seen that before as a hiring official, both gov and cont.

But yes to the comments above, non-confrontational, passive aggressional is the main issues I see after hiring.
Old 25 June 2018, 10:27
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by t10Guy View Post

Bing-F'n-O! I flip out on both child and adult in my family when it's "I texted and no-one..." I say THE F'n PHONE ALSO RINGS, PEOPLE - DIAL THE GD NUMBER!!! "Oh, no-one does that....." So frustrating.
Old 25 June 2018, 11:06
Going cyclic!!

Doing all this online is gayer than Liberace's goldfish IMO.
Unless it's a national search, whatever happened to meeting with people face to face and having actual people skills?
Everybody wants to use computers for everything. I mean, they're freaking everywhere. you can change your house's settings, open doors, check on your baby all remotely with computers. And wasn't all this supposed to free up our time and make life easier? I'm not seeing it myself.Christ on a cracker, what next?
Grumpy old man rant over, lol
Old 25 June 2018, 11:19
Deplorable

Good help (employees) is hard to find. Employers eventually get what they pay for.

Social Media has brought us the candidates in question - so be it.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 25 June 2018, 11:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
Good help (employees) is hard to find. Employers eventually get what they pay for.
No, they get what they look for. It's really not about pay. It's more about how they recruit.
Old 25 June 2018, 11:41

I’m a Recruiter and this is 100% the truth. 20 years in this business and I shake my head daily regarding the level of stupidity in humans. It’s unreal how our society has changed in just that short amount of time.

Our new posting rules