SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 December 2015, 00:47
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
Leadslingers is made by vets.
Not bad.
A buddy of mine brought me back a bottle from Tx. I get it tomorrow. Can't wait.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 11 December 2015, 01:12
Been There Done That

http://williesdistillery.com/
Old 11 December 2015, 11:34
Confirmed User

Don't know how I missed this thread years ago. Some of these have probably been named. I also prefer bourbons and sour mash over blended CAN/Irish

-Buffalo Trace
-Knob Creek
-Makers Mark
-Bulleit
-Woodford Reserve

Here in the Omaha area, there is a Patriarch Distillary, run by former Mil guys. They use water out of Soldier River in IA, and they bottle their vodka and whiskey in canteen shaped bottles.
Some of me and my guys went there for Veterans day a couple years ago, and they treated us great.
If you find it in your neck of the woods try it

http://soldiervalleyspirits.com/

Last edited by billdawg24; 11 December 2015 at 11:38. Reason: added link
Old 11 December 2015, 12:19
Authorized Personnel

Like Spinner, I only drink my whiskey and Scotch neat. BillDawg, SN, and HT, thanks for the recommendations. Luckily, one of our local liquor stores has a bar adjacent, which serves everything, but specializes in Whiskey and Whisky and offers flights. The only exception is that they will not offer a flight with any of the Pappy's; however, it's a great setup and way to sample what's out there. Sometimes if I'm looking for something new, the owner will walk me into the bar and give me a snort to see if I like it. Great place. I'm going to open another favorite tonight... The Balvenie DoubleWood and have a few drams.

Happy Friday and cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 11 December 2015, 13:01
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg24 View Post
Don't know how I missed this thread years ago. Some of these have probably been named. I also prefer bourbons and sour mash over blended CAN/Irish

-Buffalo Trace
-Knob Creek
-Makers Mark
-Bulleit
-Woodford Reserve

Here in the Omaha area, there is a Patriarch Distillary, run by former Mil guys. They use water out of Soldier River in IA, and they bottle their vodka and whiskey in canteen shaped bottles.
Some of me and my guys went there for Veterans day a couple years ago, and they treated us great.
If you find it in your neck of the woods try it

http://soldiervalleyspirits.com/
Tried all of those but Bulleit. How did you like it?

You ever try Jefferson's Reverse? A tad pricey but well worth it.
Old 11 December 2015, 13:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg24 View Post
-Buffalo Trace
-Knob Creek
-Makers Mark
-Bulleit
-Woodford Reserve
A. Smith Bowman, here in Fredericksburg, uses Buffalo Trace mash to make their bourbon. It's a good bourbon and they put on a good tour.

http://www.asmithbowman.com/home.aspx
Old 11 December 2015, 13:09
sterious scizor

I just enjoyed a bottle of Teeling. If you like Irish whiskey, definitely give it a try.
Old 11 December 2015, 20:08
In From The East

Elmer T. Lee if you can find it.
Old 11 December 2015, 21:31
Confirmed User

Picked up a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye. Very good. Sales are up 400% in the last week after being crowned World Whisky of the Year recently. Such a bargain at 28 bucks for 750ml.
Old 11 December 2015, 23:00
Darwin Award Presenter

Just bought my brother in law the Johnnie Walker premium sampler pack, which includes black, gold reserve, titanium and blue. My favorite, the gold reserve (65 per 750)nice over rocks as a sipper.
Old 12 December 2015, 03:17
Confirmed User

To state the obvious, so much of it is personal preference. There was a time when my badass wife had a $100+ bottle of scotch waiting for me when I returned CONUS each time -- they were delicious, and I started reading up on the whole thing and pretending I was fancy or something. Now I've got quite a good collection in the whiskey bar -- but to be honest, I find mass produced Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace about as good as it gets. I honestly prefer these two as well as any high end imported single malt, or domestic bourbon I've tried (and I've tried nearly everything except for Pappy's). Guess it's the southern Indiana hillbilly in me.

In other news, I bought myself a copper still a while back, and tried my hand at that. I got all crafty and made some good pear shine that everyone liked, but even my best efforts on the bourbon side of things didn't taste as good to me.

Last edited by Regulator3; 12 December 2015 at 03:24.
Old 12 December 2015, 10:30
Animal Tamer

TX

If you haven't tried it you are missing out. Best blended whiskey I've ever tasted. Fairly new and made in Fort Worth, Texas. Just starting to see it show up here in Louisiana. Little more expensive than Crown but well worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (150.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 12 December 2015, 11:54
Confirmed User

Thanks for all of this intel!
Old 13 December 2015, 07:16
Been There Done That

While I'm not much for New York, these New Yorkers are making some of the best Whiskies in the country right now. Stupendously good liquor.

http://www.tuthilltown.com/spirits/
Old 13 December 2015, 12:17
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

I'm prefacing this by saying that I have no sense of taste or smell. For taste, I only have spicy, biter, salty, and sweet.

I was recently introduced to Jeremiah Weed in the form of a Weed and Water. My mind was blown. While I could tell it wasn't straight water, it had no discerning taste of alcohol at all. It was fairly mind-blowing. I was able to drink it the entire night and never once had acid-reflux.

As for Leadslingers. I'm still waiting to get a bottle. Jared, Mat, and the guys at Art15 Clothing came up with it. Good guys that also helped produce the Range 15 movie that's coming out next May.
Old 13 December 2015, 12:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post

As for Leadslingers. I'm still waiting to get a bottle. Jared, Mat, and the guys at Art15 Clothing came up with it. Good guys that also helped produce the Range 15 movie that's coming out next May.
IIRC it was going to be Gunslingers and they changed bourbon venders and then the name, 1st vender was is a Ranger/SF vet.
Old 13 December 2015, 12:34
Been There Done That

Tried most in this thread and my weekend drinking bourbon is Bulliet. Saw a bottle of 10yo Bulliet a short while back and it was awesome, needles to saw can't find it now. Just got a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve yesterday and wasn't impressed.
Old 13 December 2015, 12:54
Always the student

I was very fortunate, living in the Midwest, to sample a bottle of the Leadslingers with my brother. Damn, that was very smooth. He and I finished the bottle...on the rocks.
Old 13 December 2015, 22:19
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
While I'm not much for New York, these New Yorkers are making some of the best Whiskies in the country right now. Stupendously good liquor.

http://www.tuthilltown.com/spirits/
Their baby bourbon is remarkable.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 14 December 2015, 08:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Their baby bourbon is remarkable.
I wholeheartedly agree. I normally drink that and the Manhattan Rye. And, while I normally wouldn't drink "flavored" whiskey, the Hudson Maple Cask Rye is simply phenomenal.

Our new posting rules