SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 29 October 2018, 19:22

Fishing in Mazatlan

Anyone ever fished offshore or inshore in Mazatlan? Will be there on a cruise towards the end of December and am eager to try the fishery.
Old 30 October 2018, 12:19
Spice Weasel

Mazatlán's shores are long and shallow, unlike shores farther south like Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco where you can get good depth closer in. But once you're out several miles, the big game fishing is good. Tuna, marlin, sword, shark. You can also bottom fish, if I'm not mistaken. There's a lot of shrimping that takes place out of Mazatlán, too. Prices aren't bad. In some cases you can charter an entire boat for $500.

Back a few years ago there was a guy who goes by "King David." I used him for just about any excursion because he knew everyone down there (even though he pretty much just did city tours). Unfortunately, I don't have any other contacts except my lawyers down there anymore, since I haven't done any business in Mazatlán for nearly a decade.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 30 October 2018, 13:39
The atomic zit

Inshore means bonefish! No advice, only envy!!!
Old 1 November 2018, 04:24
Been There Done That

All I saw there in Apr 14 was a lot of oysters freshly collected at the beach...

Supposed to be a lake near by that is CNR only that they expect the next world record Large Mouth bass to be caught. Evidently the lake was stocked with Florida Large Mouth Species a few years ago and there's no 'legal' harvest, so there's probably some hawgs in that water...
Old 1 November 2018, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Inshore means bonefish! No advice, only envy!!!
Ahh id love to get one on the fly!
Old 1 November 2018, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
All I saw there in Apr 14 was a lot of oysters freshly collected at the beach...

Supposed to be a lake near by that is CNR only that they expect the next world record Large Mouth bass to be caught. Evidently the lake was stocked with Florida Large Mouth Species a few years ago and there's no 'legal' harvest, so there's probably some hawgs in that water...
I clearly need to do more research, i had no idea that there was a big LMB fishery there. I have seen some YouTube videos from the GeoBass guys fishing for a variety of bass species down in that region of the world though. Looks fun
Old 1 November 2018, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Mazatlán's shores are long and shallow, unlike shores farther south like Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco where you can get good depth closer in. But once you're out several miles, the big game fishing is good. Tuna, marlin, sword, shark. You can also bottom fish, if I'm not mistaken. There's a lot of shrimping that takes place out of Mazatlán, too. Prices aren't bad. In some cases you can charter an entire boat for $500.

Back a few years ago there was a guy who goes by "King David." I used him for just about any excursion because he knew everyone down there (even though he pretty much just did city tours). Unfortunately, I don't have any other contacts except my lawyers down there anymore, since I haven't done any business in Mazatlán for nearly a decade.
Thanks for the info. My primary interest is marlin and sails. So far i see that the winter months are a good time frame. Ill do some research on "King David."
Old 1 November 2018, 23:30
Been There Done That

Google "Lake El Salto" Mazatlan, Mexico
Old 2 November 2018, 14:08
Confirmed User

Depending on your length of stay, if you want to go after LMB, try Lake Pichachos, it's about 45 minutes via van from Mazatlan. I've been a few times. https://www.ronspeedadventures.com/ is the guy for LMB. He has operations at Picachos, El Salto and Comedero.

It's hard to beat Pichachos for quantity, we averaged 200 fish per day last May and 150 in July (too hot). Most fish will go 3-5 pounds. Comedero is where the double digit bass are, but it's about 3.5 hours away and you really need 4 days to make it worthwhile.

Offshore should be good to great that time of year.
Old 2 November 2018, 16:59
The atomic zit

If you find a guide that can teased up a Marlin or Sail let me know!

I have an 11wt flyrod needs a workout.
Old 7 November 2018, 20:39

Labman and SgtMaj,

thanks for the freshwater advice, i did some youtube research and that looks like a pretty cool fishery i'd like to try someday. This trip, due to the co interests of the group I'm going with and the time of the year, were going to do an offshore charter. Ill let y'all know a status update when i get back.

Stretch, ill keep my ear out when I'm out there. I'm also into fly fishing but in the salt my experience is limited to tailing reds.

Thanks!
Old 7 November 2018, 20:56
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
...Stretch, ill keep my ear out when I'm out there. I'm also into fly fishing but in the salt my experience is limited to tailing reds.

Thanks!
I started my saltwater flyfishing on tailing reds.

Same drill. Sometimes you can see them, sometimes you cannot. Sometimes you fish to the tailers, and sometimes the fish to the space that the guide says they’re moving toward.

I caught bone fish my fish time out. Took me a couple times to land a redfish.
Old 9 November 2018, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I started my saltwater flyfishing on tailing reds.

Same drill. Sometimes you can see them, sometimes you cannot. Sometimes you fish to the tailers, and sometimes the fish to the space that the guide says they’re moving toward.

I caught bone fish my fish time out. Took me a couple times to land a redfish.
dude, I've done a little bit of everything but honestly a good redfish is hard to beat for me. I love sight casting for them regardless of tackle

Our new posting rules