Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 24 March 2018, 00:08
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Running IV bags on guys who are dehydrated (whatever the reason) is a sure way to make points.
I used to tell the guys on my ODA that I didn't do IVs for dehydration, I only did rectal infusion, and I was always looking for an opportunity to conduct team cross-training on rectal infusion.

For some reason, the guys always stayed well hydrated.
Old 24 March 2018, 08:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I used to tell the guys on my ODA that I didn't do IVs for dehydration, I only did rectal infusion, and I was always looking for an opportunity to conduct team cross-training on rectal infusion.

I literally LOLd.
Old 27 April 2018, 00:56
Crisis Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed1394 View Post
FF/Paramedic here, 13 years total last 4 carrying Texas Peace Officer license as a reserve officer with a small town. My employer is a bigger more ďactiveĒ city. Super stoked to have finally accepted a SWAT medic position with my full time employer. I took on a challenge day one meeting with commander. I want all of our officers to carry on person a med card. Back story-I attended TCCC course three years ago and met a man who introduced himself as a SPECOPS medic getting some refresher. He Passed on a great idea Ive been trying to put together since. He meets with each of his members pre-deployment (small units 8-10) and builds a card for each perspective operator. I donít recall all of the info he obtained but it was minimal and trauma specific I.e height weight, allergies,thinners yes/no, airway size, blood type, and pre calculated drug doses for pain and airway management narcs. Any other relevant ideas that would be great for a 4x6 laminated card?
I kept the cards with me for my eyes only, if I felt the need to pass something on guys trusted me to do so, but agency wasnít aware of them
Old 27 April 2018, 15:59
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post

I do the same thing with my guys. "Camelbak-stomp rectal infusion rehydration...you have to bring your own Camelbak."

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 14 June 2018, 19:01
Navigating

Medic

Not the same topic, but SWAT medic related nonetheless. We have a firefighter in our city interested in trying out for our team. He gave me his resume and I looked it over. It includes information about where he worked, and some of the general taskings EMTs do on a daily basis. That type of information seems to be a given, would explaining some of the specific trauma he has dealt with be essential to add on his resume? I could be entirely off base, but I generally understand that firefighters maintain the fire station and vehicles. I would be more interested to know how many gunshot wounds you've treated. But, maybe that is an interview question.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 14 June 2018, 20:54
Policeman Officer

Man we have some firefighters with a ton of combat experience, more than the vast majority of our cops. It would be great to make the most of them but that's not how it works around here.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 June 2018, 01:46
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Man we have some firefighters with a ton of combat experience, more than the vast majority of our cops. It would be great to make the most of them but that's not how it works around here.
This guy isnít a vet or anything, heís an EMT that is a volunteer Firefighter in a pretty active area of the county. They do a lot entrapment work (all kinds of trauma related to that). With those types of crashes someone usually needs a TQ (trauma). No seatbelt (trauma). If heís ever actually done CPR on someone, itís exhausting. Iíd like to know if heís done that stuff.

Old 15 June 2018, 11:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
But, maybe that is an interview question.
Quote:
This guy isnít a vet or anything, heís an EMT that is a volunteer Firefighter in a pretty active area of the county. They do a lot entrapment work (all kinds of trauma related to that). With those types of crashes someone usually needs a TQ (trauma). No seatbelt (trauma). If heís ever actually done CPR on someone, itís exhausting. Iíd like to know if heís done that stuff.
I would agree with your first post that those are good questions that seem more appropriate for the interview phase rather than the resume'. I am learning at this point in my life that resume's are way shorter in length than when I used to send them out 30 years ago.
Old 15 June 2018, 11:52
Navigating

Ok, thank you for your input

Old 15 June 2018, 14:15
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Not the same topic, but SWAT medic related nonetheless. We have a firefighter in our city interested in trying out for our team. He gave me his resume and I looked it over. It includes information about where he worked, and some of the general taskings EMTs do on a daily basis. That type of information seems to be a given, would explaining some of the specific trauma he has dealt with be essential to add on his resume? I could be entirely off base, but I generally understand that firefighters maintain the fire station and vehicles. I would be more interested to know how many gunshot wounds you've treated. But, maybe that is an interview question.
Got your PM.

For my needs I want my EMT to have OPA's, NPA's and spinal immob. down cold. I want them to be able to set up all of my airway shit in about 30 seconds. I would want them to be able to have their skill set down cold and anticipate what I am going to do down cold. They must get really good at packaging the patient for extract.

My partner and I hardly said 2 words to each other on scene. We knew what the other was going to do.

Some, not all FF's are trained to the EMT-B, EMT-I or Paramedic level.

I would not care much about his fire experience to get him on a team. But his pre-hospital care/assessment skills must be down cold.

For the most part, trauma related, EMT-B's and Paramedics should be doing the same PHTLS/BTLS assessment. It is the intervention that is different.

I have found that trauma patients are pretty straight forward, complex medical on the other hand can be challenging to DX and TX.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 15 June 2018, 14:39
Navigating

I need to fix an error on my part, he is a paramedic, not an ETM. I apologize for that. The paramedic applying asked me to look at his resume before I forwarded it to our other two medics (PA and Paramedic). When my layman's eyes looked at it, the information on it didn’t want to make me want to pull it for the “interview phase.” But again, I have no clue about emergency medicine, so I defer to you experts. Just seemed if no one else put on their resume, “I saved someone with this practice for this injury,” he would stand out. Guess not! Lol thanks!

Old 15 June 2018, 14:45
Anesthetized User

Quote:
I need to fix an error on my part, he is a paramedic, not an ETM. I apologize for that. The paramedic applying asked me to look at his resume before I forwarded it to our other two medics (PA and Paramedic). When my layman's eyes looked at it, the information on it didnít want to make me want to pull it for the ďinterview phase.Ē But again, I have no clue about emergency medicine, so I defer to you experts. Just seemed if no one else put on their resume, ďI saved someone with this practice for this injury,Ē he would stand out. Guess not! Lol thanks!
Ok no problem. I think the PA and Paramedic on the team really need to evaluate and assess this applicant.

I look at applicants like this. Yes have all of your Paramedic shit down cold, and 5 years minimum experience in a busy setting. But, I can train a monkey to do my job. What I really want to know is how does he fit with the team.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 15 June 2018, 15:03
Confirmed User

256, PM inbound
Old 15 June 2018, 15:33
Navigating

back in my lane..thanks folks.

Our new posting rules