SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 19 June 2018, 11:15
Confirmed User

Suggested Gift for new Sheriff grad ?

Hi All,

A friend of mine is graduating from the Sheriff's Academy (detention and courts) very soon. I would like to get him a decent gift without breaking the bank. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 19 June 2018, 11:39
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Hi All,

A friend of mine is graduating from the Sheriff's Academy (detention and courts) very soon. I would like to get him a decent gift without breaking the bank. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Flashlights and knives are always good.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 19 June 2018, 11:49
Administrator

One year of professional liability insurance.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 19 June 2018, 12:15
Old Scroll

Key ring keeper (this one is the very best & most secure)

Handcuff key

Ask him if his agency uses "the Pipe" to register rounds. If so, get him one of these holders

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 June 2018, 13:52
Policeman Officer

Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement. Cheesy, but excellent.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 June 2018, 14:02
Been There Done That

Good set of plates and some TQs.
Old 19 June 2018, 14:02
Confirmed User

Great suggestions, gents. I would not have thought of most of these. SOCNET rocks.

Although I think I will have to pass on the Insurance item, Sharky. That one did make me chuckle (assuming it was intended with humor), but also made me think...

Serious question: could a 3rd party buy insurance for another - especially if the other is LEO? Maybe a cash/card gift for the amount the insurance would cost? If it was a serious suggestion, I would want to consider it somehow.
Old 19 June 2018, 14:47
Confirmed User

If he's going to be in detention/courts, he could always use a good pair or two of handcuffs then have someone professional engrave his name/ID # on them.

https://www.galls.com/peerless-light...002188&PMSRCH=

You can lay a million in cash out on a table with the dope to go with it and walk away for 20 mins and it will still be there.

Do the same to a pair of cuffs, pens, clipboards, flashlights, etc... and they will be gone without a trace as soon as you turn your back.
Old 19 June 2018, 15:03
Authorized Personnel

I would recommend a good card that tells him never to rest on his laurels and to work with passion every day. Then I would get him an audible audiobook gift card and credit for 3-5 books on emotional intelligence, leadership, and business. He will look at you funny, but tell him to stop thinking like a new cop and start thinking like a businessman if he wants to be successful in his career. He needs to not think he has reached his pinnacle and start running uphill. A million books on customer service and leadership will only get him thinking correctly, he will need to put it into practice in the jail yard and in a court full of citizens and plaintiffs. If you glossed over the Emotional Intelligence idea, please don't. I started when I was 18 years old in the early 80's, I teach it now because I wish I would have known it back then.

CG
Old 19 June 2018, 15:43
Administrator

Quote:
Although I think I will have to pass on the Insurance item, Sharky. That one did make me chuckle (assuming it was intended with humor), but also made me think...

My first 18 months in LE were spent as a jailer in a Sheriff's Office. In 18 months I had 3 Federal law suits filed against me for civil rights violations. For an inmate to file this is as simple as filling out what is called a 1983 form and takes about 30 minutes. All of them were determined to be unfounded and were dismissed, but the point is that sometimes it may not be that easy. I had the backing of my employer and our counsel at no cost to me, but his primary responsibility is to the Agency, not to me. Had any of those charges been found to require something beyond an initial hearing and there was any doubt about my actions being proper or not, I might have had to retain my own attorney, at my own cost. Professional liability insurance covers some/most/all of the costs of an attorney and possibly damages awarded depending on what policy you have in place.

Later on as a Federal Agent, I used FLEOA for this purpose, and it saved my ass a couple of times over the course of a decade.

So no, the comment was not made to be humorous, although I can see why you would think so.

Quote:
Serious question: could a 3rd party buy insurance for another - especially if the other is LEO? Maybe a cash/card gift for the amount the insurance would cost? If it was a serious suggestion, I would want to consider it somehow.

You could have him take out his own policy and reimburse him for the cost for one year of coverage. Probably not more than $200-$300 per year. It's something you hope you never need, but when you need it, you really really need it, and you can't get covered after the fact.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 19 June 2018, 16:31
Rocket Surgeon

Good socks. If he's in courts or detention he will be on his feet a lot. Smartwool or Merino wool are worth the money.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 19 June 2018, 17:35
The atomic zit

Darn Tough
Old 19 June 2018, 18:01

A Fisher Space Pen or similar. Pressurized cartridge writes when wet, under water and in space.
Old 19 June 2018, 18:12
Never to old to learn

when written a statement always remember (OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT) I was taught by an LEO friend an it saved my Butt when I had to write a statement about something pertaining to a report on a solider that fucked up. Never had a problem with the JAG Officers

Last edited by wildman43; 19 June 2018 at 18:13. Reason: spelling
Old 19 June 2018, 18:34
Authorized Personnel

A gym membership. Gotta stay in shape.
Old 19 June 2018, 18:53
Proud wearer of a Beard.

All of Joseph Wambaugh's books...
Old 19 June 2018, 19:06
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
Good socks. If he's in courts or detention he will be on his feet a lot. Smartwool or Merino wool are worth the money.
Magician would be proud
Old 19 June 2018, 19:08
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
My first 18 months in LE were spent as a jailer in a Sheriff's Office. In 18 months I had 3 Federal law suits filed against me for civil rights violations. For an inmate to file this is as simple as filling out what is called a 1983 form and takes about 30 minutes. All of them were determined to be unfounded and were dismissed, but the point is that sometimes it may not be that easy. I had the backing of my employer and our counsel at no cost to me, but his primary responsibility is to the Agency, not to me. Had any of those charges been found to require something beyond an initial hearing and there was any doubt about my actions being proper or not, I might have had to retain my own attorney, at my own cost. Professional liability insurance covers some/most/all of the costs of an attorney and possibly damages awarded depending on what policy you have in place.

Later on as a Federal Agent, I used FLEOA for this purpose, and it saved my ass a couple of times over the course of a decade.

So no, the comment was not made to be humorous, although I can see why you would think so.

You could have him take out his own policy and reimburse him for the cost for one year of coverage. Probably not more than $200-$300 per year. It's something you hope you never need, but when you need it, you really really need it, and you can't get covered after the fact.
Total concurrence!

Nothing quite like being kicked to the curb at someone's behest because you've become a liability beyond what they're willing to pay. . .also known as Tuesday.
Old 19 June 2018, 19:24
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
when written a statement always remember (OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT) I was taught by an LEO friend an it saved my Butt when I had to write a statement about something pertaining to a report on a solider that fucked up. Never had a problem with the JAG Officers
I would say stay in your lane... but this is good advice and I write exactly that all the time.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 June 2018, 19:35
Authorized Personnel

I was given a nice set of Cross pens with my initials and academy graduation month/year engraved. Still wear them everyday.

Our new posting rules