SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 17 August 2018, 15:39
Confirmed User

I was on one of the small town departments near Worcester. A friend of mine from the Guard was on one of the departments that borders Boston proper.

I recall my first time out on the town with him around the city. I was amazed how he would pull out his creds at nearly every place we went to, in order to avoid the cover charge. Some of the staff at the door didn't look like the types whom I'd want to know my profession! It seemed to be an unwritten rule for places to be "tin friendly" as they said, in order to do business in some areas.
Old 17 August 2018, 19:49
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglework View Post
Wow I must of slipped through, I was hired under Elrod and it didn't cost me anything!
There was a time when getting elected Cook County Sheriff was like being given a machine to print money. Elrod struck me as somewhat of a reformer, but many of his predecessors (and a few successors) really cleaned up. Of course, nobody in state government before or since ever did as well as the late Secretary of State Paul Powell. Back in those days, you didn't make your checks for license renewals and other SecState business payable to the Secretary of State, you made them payable directly to Paul Powell, as was the case with the Secretary of States that came before him. That changed of course when he died in office and they found all of that cash in the hotel room he lived in, as well as a bundles of uncashed checks from all of those suckers otherwise known collectively as "Joe Taxpayer".

Kind of ironic that the only office that Richard J. Daley ran for and failed to get elected was Cook County Sheriff. He took over as mayor shortly thereafter.

I think I read somewhere that he didn't want the post to begin with, be kind of funny if he tilted the election toward his opponent, knowing he could have won in a landslide.
Old 26 August 2018, 14:13

Yes when i got on in 86 we had a lot of badges out there.. i believe the most famous was Walter Payton! When Mike Sheehan became Sheriff he called all of them in and ended that practice, I remember being a young deputy at traffic court right after the Graylord investigation into judicial bribery and going into using one of the bathrooms behind the courtroom and having one of the recording "bugs" slowly work itself out of the ceiling in the summer heat! Things have much improved since those days.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:20
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

There was this park district in some south suburb, doesn't matter which one because they all suck, in which there was only one park, a tiny little parcel of land not even a half acre with a slide and swing set, and this park district had something like 150 officers on its "police force".

Another reason to be skeptical when anybody flashes some tin at you.
Old 26 August 2018, 20:01
Anesthetized User

Not SS, but I have my badge and actual ID from days gone by.

My LT said just keep it on my last day.

I have my FF/Paramedic helmet.

SPH 4-B.

And a bunch of other shit from days gone by.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)

Last edited by Expatmedic; 26 August 2018 at 20:07.
Old 26 August 2018, 21:42
Policeman Officer

Expatmedic are you keeping up with LEOSA?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 August 2018, 21:49
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Expatmedic are you keeping up with LEOSA?
Nah, I did not retire or have years if I read LEOSA right.

What are you thinking?

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 26 August 2018, 22:20
Policeman Officer

Don't quote me on this but I believe it's around ten years of "good time" required. We should have nationwide reciprocity but until then LEOSA is a great deal.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 27 August 2018, 01:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Don't quote me on this but I believe it's around ten years of "good time" required. We should have nationwide reciprocity but until then LEOSA is a great deal.
10 years of "civilian" LE time will get you covered even if you have bounced from a few agencies.

You can mix that up with Military LE as well. Both Active Duty and as a civilian working as a 0083 or 1811.

So, 8 years active duty and 6 years as a civilian would cover you.

Biggest issue is trying to find someone to cover you.

Our new posting rules