SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 9 February 2018, 16:28
Administrator

Itís official: Army unveils brown beret, new patch for military advisers....

Hello? General Shit-Suzuki?

https://www.sofx.com/2018/02/09/offi...ab-army-times/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beret.jpg (21.0 KB, 529 views)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 9 February 2018, 19:00
Been There Done That

I'm still trying to figure out how they earn that tab, if it's not associated with the patch, like ABN tabs are.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 9 February 2018, 19:42
Unemployed Stunt Double

I'm not getting too wrapped around the axle on this one, for the following reasons:

1) There is far more demand for theater security cooperation than SOF can handle, and much of it does not require SOF. We have been using a hodgepodge of GPF forces to execute a lot of it, which degrades the GPF element's readiness and ability to conduct their true mission set. I think the SFAB is a good concept, if executed properly.
2) It is difficult to attract good personnel to a new and untested concept, and for good reason. If the new and untested concept doesn't gain traction, folks that volunteered for it suffer career consequences (see the AF-PAK hands program, any version of the multiple failed Warrior Transition Units). Guess what...uniform bling can attract folks to come give it a try.
3) Hats. I can't get excited about hats. In the Army, I've had a black hat for a while, then a maroon hat for a brief time, and, for the last 22 years, a green hat. Hats. They don't make the man, so they can give the SFAB any hat they want. The SFAB will succeed or fail based on a bunch of factors...and the hat is not one of them.

I have a notoriously cynical outlook...and I wholeheartedly support the SFAB concept, and their hats.
Old 12 February 2018, 07:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I'm not getting too wrapped around the axle on this one, for the following reasons:

1) There is far more demand for theater security cooperation than SOF can handle, and much of it does not require SOF. We have been using a hodgepodge of GPF forces to execute a lot of it, which degrades the GPF element's readiness and ability to conduct their true mission set. I think the SFAB is a good concept, if executed properly.
2) It is difficult to attract good personnel to a new and untested concept, and for good reason. If the new and untested concept doesn't gain traction, folks that volunteered for it suffer career consequences (see the AF-PAK hands program, any version of the multiple failed Warrior Transition Units). Guess what...uniform bling can attract folks to come give it a try.
3) Hats. I can't get excited about hats. In the Army, I've had a black hat for a while, then a maroon hat for a brief time, and, for the last 22 years, a green hat. Hats. They don't make the man, so they can give the SFAB any hat they want. The SFAB will succeed or fail based on a bunch of factors...and the hat is not one of them.

I have a notoriously cynical outlook...and I wholeheartedly support the SFAB concept, and their hats.
Well said. To add, the beret matches the one that 6 SOS is starting to wear, as well. So it makes sense from a security cooperation side of things.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Well said. To add, the beret matches the one that 6 SOS is starting to wear, as well. So it makes sense from a security cooperation side of things.
Splitting hairs, I know - the CAA beret is a darker shade called "charcoal brown" (at least the flash isn't crazy big like SFAB's appears to be, lol).

Just for background:

The CAA beret got it's kickstart in July 2017 when President Trump was presented with a prototype after a meeting at the White House to discuss FID activities in Afghanistan.

The SFAB beret was still green at that point; I'm fairly certain that once SFAB was switched to brown there was no attempt at deconfliction from the Air Force or CAA community.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/article/1410562/quiet-professionals-don-brown-beret/

Old 12 February 2018, 13:07
Been There Done That

Just what we need more parades, more berets, more uniforms, more patches, and of course more badges!
No time for training and of course no more wars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EFNY34V275HGNB5C55AZ7GXONI-1.jpg (41.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg QRJXVNCBXRGEJB2RXNYHROSXRE.jpg (50.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg KSPY2RHWEZGXNMSYYEAVQKQQWU.jpg (27.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 14 February 2018, 08:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buaya Darat View Post
Splitting hairs, I know - the CAA beret is a darker shade called "charcoal brown" (at least the flash isn't crazy big like SFAB's appears to be, lol).

Just for background:

The CAA beret got it's kickstart in July 2017 when President Trump was presented with a prototype after a meeting at the White House to discuss FID activities in Afghanistan.

The SFAB beret was still green at that point; I'm fairly certain that once SFAB was switched to brown there was no attempt at deconfliction from the Air Force or CAA community.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/article/1410562/quiet-professionals-don-brown-beret/

Good to know. Talked with the Some of the guys & gals about it back in October, mixed feelings about it from the small sample size.
Old 9 February 2018, 19:40
Been There Done That

That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It looks like a Pterodactyl took a shit on his head.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 11 February 2018, 15:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It looks like a Pterodactyl took a shit on his head.
I disagree.... (MultiNation Forces and Observers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3638074_orig.jpg (14.2 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg 5912655_ori.jpg (14.9 KB, 353 views)

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 12 February 2018, 09:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I disagree.... (MultiNation Forces and Observers)
I wore the UN beret for 6 months in the early 80's. Didn't like it either.

Old 9 February 2018, 19:52
Been There Done That

There's that pre-retirement attitude again.

Old 9 February 2018, 20:06
Calculating Infinity...

Berets.. shit brown, cool guy green, airborne red, old school black/new school tan... just reinforces my decision to go MC. Good luck, Army
Old 9 February 2018, 20:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Berets.. shit brown, cool guy green, airborne red, old school black/new school tan... just reinforces my decision to go MC. Good luck, Army
Haters gonna hate...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
That's how I felt, then MARSOC started handing out bling...
Old 9 February 2018, 21:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
There's that pre-retirement attitude again.
Probably, but there was a very important lesson in the SFAB beret debacle that I hope someone in the Army learned from. Donít use equipment that you donít know how to operate. In this case, the equipment was a computer with an internet connection.
Old 9 February 2018, 21:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Probably, but there was a very important lesson in the SFAB beret debacle that I hope someone in the Army learned from. Donít use equipment that you donít know how to operate. In this case, the equipment was a computer with an internet connection.
LMAO
Old 10 February 2018, 04:57
Been There Done That

I remember in the 70's VOL LOR Army, almost every branch and unit had a diffrent color beret. Then there were the Stetson hats Cav boots with spurs.
Change of command at Fort Hood, for the 1st Cav was done on horse back until a certain 1st Cav general received the guidon and his horse threw him and landed on him.
I was down the road one evening getting gas when these 3 soldiers were beside me getting gas , in uniform with their off color green berets on. These girls in the next car asked them if they were green berets, Special Forces? Of course they said they were and struck up a conversation with them.I Was SMH as I drove off .
Then was the Infantry units that wore a powder blue beret almost looked like UN blue.
That was like 1972 ?? Way back when!
Old 10 February 2018, 11:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
I remember in the 70's VOL LOR Army, almost every branch and unit had a diffrent color beret. Then there were the Stetson hats Cav boots with spurs.
Change of command at Fort Hood, for the 1st Cav was done on horse back until a certain 1st Cav general received the guidon and his horse threw him and landed on him.

That was like 1972 ?? Way back when!
Remember that all too well, just before I left AD. 1st Cav wore yellow baseball caps. Still have (somewhere) photos of change of command for my BN complete with a mounted color guard in old Cav uniforms. Tanks & horses - not surprised someone was thrown.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 10 February 2018, 09:29
Another pool cleaner

It should have been a Raspberry Beret.

Mr. Rogers Nelson would have approved.
Old 10 February 2018, 12:51

My question is, why did they not go with a totally different color, like midnight blue or something, that could look dope and wouldn't be stealing anyone else's thunder. There are so many colors out there, the fact that they keep choosing colors that are similar to existing SOF units tells me that they are trying to associate really hard.

Our new posting rules