Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 4 September 2017, 09:34
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I've taken to repurposing my kids old backpacks. They don't look tacticool and are generally in good shape.

I keep a sort of get home bag in my work car. It's low profile, and holds seasonal clothes and shoes for work (we wear suits/ties as the UoD) and have to switch up at times. So I have a set of street clothes always ready.

I also keep a Beofang, extra mags for my handguns (s), and a bunch of snack that I chow on. I would have a 15 mile trek from work to home on a normal day.

I think i can get 24 hours out of it if needed.

I also have one that I keep work gear in as well as my MacBook, forms, and common crime scene stuff.
Think about water and an IFAK.
Old 4 September 2017, 14:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Think about water and an IFAK.
Done. I always have a water bottle with me. I currently have a Brita hard plastic bottle with filter at my side pretty much all the time. I also have a Lifestraw filter in the wrapper.

I have an IFAK in the cruiser at all times as well as a separate one for my Tacticool raid vest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8600.jpg (41.2 KB, 493 views)
Old 20 November 2017, 14:26
33,024 - R.I.P.

For those interested, Badlands has their early holiday sale going on. Today’s special is their BOS pack. Normally $249, on sale for $99. That is a wicked deal for an awesome pack. I have two Badlands packs, and they are extremely rugged and light.
http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/pa...-tactical-pack
Old 20 November 2017, 14:52
Confirmed User

Goruck has some good deal going as well.

Must.

Resist.
Old 20 November 2017, 19:40
The Sagacious One

I thought I would test one of these, for the price, you cannot go wrong.
Old 21 November 2017, 13:54
33,024 - R.I.P.

Looks like one of the old Eberlestock Phantom bags.
Old 21 November 2017, 15:50
Aww F**K it

Interesting. I think I will pick one up.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 27 November 2017, 13:56
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
For those interested, Badlands has their early holiday sale going on. Today’s special is their BOS pack. Normally $249, on sale for $99. That is a wicked deal for an awesome pack. I have two Badlands packs, and they are extremely rugged and light.
http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/pa...-tactical-pack
Looks like their Cyber-Monday deal includes the BOS pack for $99 again. I jumped on this like a bum on a gas station sammich.
Old 9 January 2018, 11:50
Confirmed User

I saw your post and ordered one the same day, and it arrived yesterday on 8 January. The website said 1-3 week delivery time, so I sent an email over a month later and got an auto-reply that customer service will contact me in 48 hours. Four days later with no contact I sent another email-- this time saying that customs sometimes delays shipping and I should receive it NLT 27 JAN 2018; two months after ordering.

The bag, from "9.11 Tactical" is of course made in China, and I find it laughable that Cold Dead Hands says this bag is marked down from $298.90. The zipper to the main pouch is broken- the teeth won't lock no matter how much I try and re-route the zipper or line up the teeth. The hook-pile tape/velcro on many of the pouches won't fasten; they used the hook side on both ends so there is no bite. You get what you pay for, so lesson learned- but this seems more suited for an airsofter. By the way, if you do a search for "9.11 Tactical Rifle Combo Backpack" you'll see this exact same bag listed for anywhere between $32 to $39.

*maybe I got a lemon- but just my experience.
Old 26 March 2018, 08:41
The Sagacious One

Sorry I missed this. I have to go check mine out, I have been traveling the last 3 months.
Old 26 March 2018, 08:42
The Sagacious One

Does anyone carry Potassium Permanginate?
Old 27 March 2018, 00:13
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
I saw your post and ordered one the same day, and it arrived yesterday on 8 January. The website said 1-3 week delivery time, so I sent an email over a month later and got an auto-reply that customer service will contact me in 48 hours. Four days later with no contact I sent another email-- this time saying that customs sometimes delays shipping and I should receive it NLT 27 JAN 2018; two months after ordering.

The bag, from "9.11 Tactical" is of course made in China, and I find it laughable that Cold Dead Hands says this bag is marked down from $298.90. The zipper to the main pouch is broken- the teeth won't lock no matter how much I try and re-route the zipper or line up the teeth. The hook-pile tape/velcro on many of the pouches won't fasten; they used the hook side on both ends so there is no bite. You get what you pay for, so lesson learned- but this seems more suited for an airsofter. By the way, if you do a search for "9.11 Tactical Rifle Combo Backpack" you'll see this exact same bag listed for anywhere between $32 to $39.

*maybe I got a lemon- but just my experience.
Quote:
Sorry I missed this. I have to go check mine out, I have been traveling the last 3 months.
I checked mine and the zippers seem to be in good shape and all of the velcro is appropriate. Maybe you did get a lemon. The vecro on the side pockets is a bit flimsy however.
Old 27 March 2018, 09:54
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Does anyone carry Potassium Permanginate?
For fire starting or disinfectant? Mix with a little alcohol, and ...
Old 27 March 2018, 13:01
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
For fire starting or disinfectant? Mix with a little alcohol, and ...
Either? Didn't know about the fire starter.
Old 27 March 2018, 15:57
Confirmed User

I'm on a wilderness SAR team. We all have NASAR packs ready. I keep mine in the back of the truck with a set of mountain boots.
Old 20 April 2018, 21:59

I can talk about this forever, apologies in advance for the long post.
As mentioned earlier, Go-Bags are going to vary drastically based on the region you live, physique you currently possess, type of bug-out situation, and main threats you expect to encounter. It's pretty hard to cover everything with a universal Go-Bag, but all Go-Bags should take care of your basic essentials of survival. In no particular order:

- Shelter (clothing especially) in my opinion is universally most important.
- Water (and medications if you have medical ailments)
- Personal Protection
- Food/Nutrition
- Tools
- Fire
- Communication (sort of)

Try to have those covered. Try to have backups for the essentials or another method of providing the function of the primary item. Try to include things that have multiple purposes. Try to keep your weight down, but don’t sacrifice ruggedness in order to achieve a light weight. What good is your gear if it’s susceptible to being damaged quickly? Try to adopt a minimalist attitude but keep your gear load-out in line with your skills. One of my favorite survival instructors, and legend, Mors Kochanski's emphasis on "the more you know, the less you carry" is a good model to base your kit on. And your wits are part of that kit. Learn to do things. Learn many ways to do things. Practice and experiment. If you can’t, throw a good survival book in your kit. Or make your own survival book. Also, your bag should rotate gear in and out based on the mission, time of year, and improvements/changes based on your knowledge. A couple things that I may be useful to ponder on that didn’t see listed yet would be monocular night vision goggles and Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio.

I have two bug out bags. One is almost always on me, or as close to me as I can if the situation doesn’t permit it actually being allowed to be on me. That usually means it’s in the car. This bag is supposed to get me from point-A-to-home and have me covered for a couple days if I encounter something preventing me from getting home anytime soon. It’s also supposed to be there to help others if they need it in case of a car accident or whatever. The other bag is my civilization starter bag. It’s bigger. It stays at home. It has axes and saws. It’s supposed to contain enough for me to live off the land indefinitely. It’s my “lazy bag” because the way I view it, it allows me to do things a lot easier with the tools within. But I refuse to allow it to be the ‘must have’ way to live off the land (ex. a saw can fell a large tree easy, but there are other ways to do so with very primitive tools found in the forest; a tarp makes an easier shelter than collecting branches or whatnot, etc. etc.).
There are a couple things in it that are big and heavy that serve a purpose that the “always on me” bag doesn’t, regarding survival. But your mindset needs to be in the ‘my environment provides everything I need to survive, I just need to know how to use it’ mode. If you don’t know something, then you get the tool or aid in that lack of knowledge or ability that may not be afforded in your environment or situation. But do yourself a favor and go and learn how do whatever task you need without the ready made convenient tools so you don’t have to carry your house on your back. Learn to make your cordage from plants, or how to find alternatives. Learn how to make the tool you think you need from what’s around you. Learn how to improvise. Go to those bushcraft forums and see what nifty tricks they have learned to get around certain issues. How did the indigenous populations do things in your area? You get where I’m going. Learn your woods! Learn your tree saps!

“Always on me bag” has an Esee 3 (or sometimes an Esee 5), small sharpening stone, firesteel with compass and whistle on it, bic lighter, storm proof matches, another firesteel, 8 fastlight firecubes, GOOD medkit, surefire flashlight (and backup batteries as well as a backup light), a lot of 550 chord, several different water purification methods (Sawyer Squeeze, Iodine Tablets, Potable Aqua), a couple large leak-resistant plastic bags for water procurement and filtration or whatever, Emergency Poncho, another emergency blanket, snarewire, shoegoo, battery bank, 2 different kinds of emergency blankets, mirror, another whistle, another compass, P38 can opener, razor blade, mini fishing kit, multitool, packing tin (that I could cook in as well), write in the rain paper, duct tape, and a couple other doodads. These all go into a 10 liter packing cube. It’s not even full. Nothing in there is big. This is small, light, and I can grab it by itself if I have to for whatever reason, and I’d generally be good to go. Everything in there has multiple purposes, and they all help lead me into creating, finding, or maintaining other things. It’s not tacti-douche so no one would ever notice or care if I grabbed it in public.

That 10 liter packing cube goes into my GoRuck GR2 along with my nalgene bottle, hydration bag, survival scarf (good as a mosquito cover, sunblock, blanket, stuff sack, primitive water filter… uses are endless; get one), hiking shoes, extra socks and pants, baseball cap, light gortex rain jacket, and plenty of space for other things (like a glock and a couple mags of ammo). Again, the GR2 is not cammo’d-up or noticeable in any major way. I wear a leather belt, always, and it serves as my strop for my knife, as well as whatever else you can think of a belt doing for whatever situation. I always wear long sleeve shirts, long pants, closed shoes, and usually an undershirt. Even when it’s 100 degrees out. I don’t like mosquitos. I don’t like ticks. I don’t like sunburn. I don’t like poison ivy, sumac, or oak. I prefer sweat to scratches from twigs. Not saying you have to, but that’s up to you. You’re either dressed appropriately for the situation, or you aren’t. Dressing right prevents a significant amount of the injuries you may face. Honestly, shorts and a T-shirt at 100 degrees doesn’t make me feel all that much better anyway. If it is an issue, try rolling up your sleeves or getting the pants that have the zip-off legs, or whatever.

Don’t wear cotton in cold weather or if cold weather could be in your forecast (hot day, to cold night; weird spring days that shift with the wind). That’s by far the worst material unless you’re worried about it burning and fusing to your skin. Has terrible insulation properties. Doesn’t keep you warm when you need it to; doesn’t keep you cool when you need it to. Doesn’t dry worth a damn. Not particularly rugged. Not light. Just make your life easy and go with synthetics.

Only thing I don’t carry a lot on me is food and a gun. I have survival food rations in the form of calorie bars- but I don’t typically carry that on me. I know my limits and foraging capabilities in my area. Learn yours. Food is usually the least of my problems in the short term. And when I properly take care of the other things, it’s much easier to take care of foodstuffs. I have a lot of options, and a lot of places to raid, if need be. This isn’t the case for everyone, so I’d recommend you do what you gotta do. Learn your local plants, bugs, flowers, stems, berries etc. You can even consume tree bark for nutrients (or medicine) if you know what you’re doing. Yeah, it sucks, but you’ll live if you select the right source, and know how to do it. Our ancestors did it; you can too. Just realize, you can go a lot longer without food than you’d think. It’s not ideal to push yourself anywhere near the limits of starvation though, as you can cause great harm to your body and cognition. You also tend to go downhill real quick once you get to a certain point. If I were to carry something, it would probably be a jar of peanutbutter. That’s pretty near impossible to beat weight to calorie ratio. Sorry if you’re allergic to peanuts. I’d recommend trying to find another calorie rich, dense, and easily stored food with long shelf life.

I don’t carry a gun because I can’t take it to work, or half the places I got day-to-day. Besides, I live by the words by some smart guy that said “if you have to use a gun, you already did something wrong. Guns make people dumb. Duct tape makes people smart.” That said, of course there are situations you don’t get to pick where a gun makes the situation easier to deal with or maybe the only way you survive. If you can take a firearm, do it. Just don’t pretend it’ll solve a lot of your issues. Reality is there’s usually another way, and if you really take control of your situation and the steps along the way, you should be fine without one. There are also a lot of ramifications to using a gun, sometimes unforeseen, and most bug-out situations don’t incorporate that into the scenario very well. Guns can escalate non-issue situations, expose you, or dictate the rest of your strategy too much. If you’re not careful, it can control more of your situation than you yourself, and that’s not good. I’m not trying to sound anti-gun, but I have to sort of backup my reasoning. Just don’t let it fool you into thinking it’s your savior tool. It is a great food procurement tool, unless you’re worried about being found.
Old 20 April 2018, 23:21
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivyScum View Post
Your long post
So a bit of feedback on your GO BAG insight. No IFAK? First aid is a must in every bag I build. TQT, bandages, ouchies and booboos and stomach distress.

You are barking up the wrong tree with your preachings on firearms. Believe what you want, but many of the the folks here are masters of the art and not a bunch of rednecks waving a Taurus 44 magnum around in their wife beater T shirt. While I myself remain a humble student of the master(s), there are people here that solve problems that they themselves do not start, problems that can only be solved through violence.

Lastly, I agree with your assessment of cotton. It Kills in the Field.

Welcome to SOCNET.
Old 21 April 2018, 00:11
Six Minutes!

Quote:
\
As mentioned earlier, Go-Bags are going to vary drastically based on the region you live,

I don’t carry a gun because I can’t take it to work, or half the places I got day-to-day. Besides, I live by the words by some smart guy that said “if you have to use a gun, you already did something wrong. Guns make people dumb. Duct tape makes people smart.” That said, of course there are situations you don’t get to pick where a gun makes the situation easier to deal with or maybe the only way you survive. If you can take a firearm, do it. Just don’t pretend it’ll solve a lot of your issues. Reality is there’s usually another way, and if you really take control of your situation and the steps along the way, you should be fine without one. There are also a lot of ramifications to using a gun, sometimes unforeseen, and most bug-out situations don’t incorporate that into the scenario very well. Guns can escalate non-issue situations, expose you, or dictate the rest of your strategy too much. If you’re not careful, it can control more of your situation than you yourself, and that’s not good. I’m not trying to sound anti-gun, but I have to sort of backup my reasoning. Just don’t let it fool you into thinking it’s your savior tool. It is a great food procurement tool, unless you’re worried about being found.

Yeah I can't say I agree with you much on the second bolded part. To me, a firearm is like a knife... I always carry one. Maybe in your protected world view, you don't feel the need. Other peoples' experiences may vary.

The rest of your post about firearms is nonsensical, like someone who has lived a relatively protected life without exposure to the real bad world. There are at least 5 occasions in my everyday life in which a firearm on my person has de-escalated a potentially violent end to my life or serious bodily harm. All five of these times were in my home state away from the military.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 21 April 2018, 00:43
Policeman Officer

Quote:
If I have a gun and you don't you're essentially a cache with legs.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 21 April 2018, 00:56
Six Minutes!

In the interest of keeping with the subject of this thread, my GO bag consists of the following:

USAF issue IFAK- cause they didn't ask for it back
USAF MCU-2/P gas mask, carrier and 2 filters
poncho liner
dyneema shelter/poncho
100 ish feet of 550 cord
merino wool socks x2
US issue canteen with canteen cup
canteen cup stove with trioxane tabs
iodine water purification tabs
steripen (UV water purification)
batteries
sven camp saw
Mora knife
6 pack of Snickers bars
Glock 20SF 10mm
3 extra mags
Globalstar sat phone
2m/70cm HAM HT

These are all in a Sandpiper of California pack that I got at the PX in Kyrgyzstan.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

Last edited by Akheloce; 21 April 2018 at 01:09.

Our new posting rules