SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 5 August 2016, 16:07
Authorized Personnel

I watched this totally unscientific but highly entertaining video today and thought about this thread.

https://www.funker530.com/steel-plates-versus-m240/
Old 6 August 2016, 14:17
Confirmed User

Really gained nothing out of that, other than the entertainment and reminder not to step in front of a 240. Regardless, intending on ordering on Monday, since they are closed today.

Still working on the numbers on donating the full kit, or just purchasing the level IV only, Providing more of the plate sets (4 vs 2 or 3); Carriers are relatively inexpensive comparatively speaking.

Have a great weekend.
Old 7 August 2016, 06:43
Not a ninja...

Pretty good multi hit capability.. up to a point!
Old 30 August 2016, 13:40
Very Deplorable

Does any have anything further on this or similar?
My partner and I were spitballing getting some plates for the upcoming predictable civil unrest. I have seen a lot of AR500 (the company) info and demonstrations, but there are a considerable amount of new "cheap" plates/carrier deals...
The "get what you pay for adage" seems like a good rule of thumb. Although, I was hoping to get some other suggestions, or should we stick to the AR500 Armor deals? I saw the recall as well... Which makes me wonder if I can actually rely on it performing in its natural habitat... Or if gonna take one in the aorta.

Last edited by justamedic; 30 August 2016 at 13:48.
Old 2 September 2016, 08:51
The Sagacious One

I have a set of their plates with the backer pads that I keep in my car in a 5.11 plate carrier. I shoot ar500 steel with everything from 300 WM to 10mm and it works great.

I also found a set of level IV plates on LAPG.com that are much lighter and I keep them in my House Armor.
Old 2 September 2016, 09:26
Freelancer

I recommend these for extended wear of AR500 plates. Especially if you go with a minimalist rig. Like the ones by Grey Ghost Gear.

I will try to get some pics of my plates and setup if I have time this weekend.

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/wa...ds-95WW00.html
Old 2 September 2016, 09:42
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
Really gained nothing out of that, other than the entertainment and reminder not to step in front of a 240. Regardless, intending on ordering on Monday, since they are closed today.

Still working on the numbers on donating the full kit, or just purchasing the level IV only, Providing more of the plate sets (4 vs 2 or 3); Carriers are relatively inexpensive comparatively speaking.

Have a great weekend.
Do some research on youtube and you can find some serious, although probably not scientific videos.
Old 2 September 2016, 10:03
Make a desert and call it peace.

Bulletproofme has some reasonable ceramic and other plate options. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 3 September 2016, 04:17
Very Deplorable

Thank you gents.
Old 4 September 2016, 08:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Do some research on youtube and you can find some serious, although probably not scientific videos.
Appreciate it. Took the recommendation, did some additional research and ordered them a few weeks ago. They arrived approx. 2 weeks later (not bad). Been covered at work, so the carriers and plates are still in the box. I intend on dropping them off next week.

Again, thanks for the assistance.
Old 17 May 2017, 13:50
Confirmed User

I know I am necro'ing the crap out of this thread, but saw that Grey Ghost Minimalist plate carriers are 35% off today (about $75). Stocking stuffers.
Old 28 May 2017, 07:46
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
I know I am necro'ing the crap out of this thread, but saw that Grey Ghost Minimalist plate carriers are 35% off today (about $75). Stocking stuffers.
They are very well made with a great price point.

I have been trying out UHMWPE plates really like the weight savings. Though I do need to change how I shoot due to thickness of plates. They fit fine into the GGG carrier.
Old 28 May 2017, 10:03
The Sagacious One

FWIW, I shot in my 5.11 plate carrier with AR 500 coated plates. No real issues.
Old 22 January 2018, 21:44
Freelancer

For the past year I've been using UHMWPE plates.

I bought them as I wanted something lightweight that I could don quickly in an emergancy (Home invasion). I just could not put steel on quick enough for my liking.

Pros:
1) Very lightweight my plates weigh 3lbs apiece.

2) Semi-buoyant for the boaters out there.

3) Very comfortable to wear all day and move around in.

Cons:

1) Price

2) Storage, for folks that live in hot climates. One could not keep them in the trunk of a car etc.

3) Thicker/ Bulkier than other plates.

4) Might not meet all threat levels for some users.
For me level III suits me as a civilian. I'm more worried about stopping homey with a Hi-point. Than Haji with a AK.

I purchased my set from Spartan Armor. They arrived quickly and I was impressed with the weight. Putting on my carrier my disc thanked me.
They are very thick best way I can describe it is to put a cereal box in your carrier. For my GGG carrier I had to play with it to get the plates in. They slid into a LBT slick carrier much easier. The plates feel slightly padded which added to the comfort level. I found it easy to move around and to drive with them on.

Shooting, I got a better shoulder weld with the poly over the steel. Prone, I had to re-train myself a little to get on target. As the thickness changes ones body position. After a few shooting sessions I got the carrier readjusted to where I like it. I strongly recommend one does some serious shooting to make adjustments.
For running and gunning I can't praise them enough. My back or shoulders didn't bother me at all at the end of a day of shooting.

Would I recommend Poly plates? As a civilian, yes I would recommend to other civilians. For LE/PMC applications that would be up to the individual to acess threats he/she might face out there. Put consideration into your climate and how you will store them. I recommend reading the manufacturers warnings on heat with UHMWPE plates.Not advised to keep in the cruiser trunk in July.
In closing I have no regrets of my purchase.

Our new posting rules