Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 14 February 2018, 18:41
Confirmed User

Any Tallahassee PD on board?

Got a pretty good pitch from your recruiter last week. Thinking about going back into police work.

Looking for on the ground info from someone there about work, training overall working conditions.
It sounded good, but you know, recruiters.

Thanks.
Old 15 February 2018, 16:18
Authorized Personnel

I don't work at TPD, but I scan their channels while out in my patrol car. I also know some people that love the agency and have been with it for years. Their TAC Team (SWAT) is good. I get some of the usual gripes about work when I run into them on calls. I am not a fan of their Chief, who basically told me I wasn't being hired by them because I was about to deploy (late 2015).

Their hiring process in 2015 went like this:
Background
Watch a video and then provide a writing/report (witness) sample
Oral board (mostly integrity questions)
--Conditional Offer--
Physical/Psych exams
Voice-stress polygraph
Chief's interview

You'll be busy and the violent crime seems to increase every year. I can't speak to the training opportunities, as I am normally attending State funded classes (Region 15) vs municipal/county (Region 3).

My ex got most of my TPD "friends" in the divorce, or else I'd give you a direct POC.

I wanted to work for them, but I won't re-apply while the current Chief is still there. Good group from the majority of my interactions with them.
Old 16 February 2018, 00:49
Confirmed User

Thanks for the heads up Wes, Still looking it over. The recruiting process is not set up for calling with questions.
Old 16 February 2018, 09:10
Old Scroll

Lived in Talli from 2000 to 2007. Great place. Hilly, which is a nice change from the unending Kansas-like flatness of the rest of the state. 2 malls, state capital, stuff to do: FSU football if that's your thing, 1 hour to the forgotten coast, generally lots of things going on. Crime rate (was) low but like every everywhere else has jumped mainly due to meth.

But for the continued proximity of my psycho ex, I'd call it a great place to live.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 17 February 2018, 12:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Tallahassee has one of the finest pool rooms I've ever seen, place called Pockets. Really nice tables and good atmosphere, for a college town.

Of course, that was about 15 years ago so things might have changed.

Our new posting rules