Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 6 April 2012, 10:23
TwoFootOnion

Digging this thread.

+1 to all the .22 proponents...I believe a .22 rifle is ESSENTIAL to any collection of survival (Bug out, Go Bag, EDC...whatever the buzz-term is...) gear.

...And as far as the "knock down" discussion is concerned SOTB is dead on...with 12 years in the Coroner Bureau under my belt, I have seen .22 and .25 do the job just fine. It all depends on what you are comfortable / familiar with.
Old 6 April 2012, 10:34
TwoFootOnion

And to answer the OP's original question...all the gear previously mentioned is great. I just added these to myself and my wife's "go-bags:"http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/prod...d-survival-bag

They are compressed to about the size of an old VHS cassette and are really light. I have a buddy who has an open one and played with his...they are very warm. A few notches above a space blanket in terms of durability.
Old 6 April 2012, 10:37
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Condoms

You can use them to waterproof stuff, blow them up to entertain yourself while in your hardpoint, and plus my wife is hot, and I plan on bringing her with me and having sex while we are on the lam.

I can always eat her later if things really go south.
HAHA, make sure they're non-lubricated though
Old 6 April 2012, 12:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Condoms

You can use them to waterproof stuff, blow them up to entertain yourself while in your hardpoint, and plus my wife is hot, and I plan on bringing her with me and having sex while we are on the lam.

If you get the non lubricated type, they can be used to carry water...
Old 6 April 2012, 12:35
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
If you get the non lubricated type, they can be used to carry water...
the wife? or the condom?
Old 6 June 2012, 18:17
Confirmed User

I carry a Ruger LC9 so in my Vic B.O.B I keep a .22 revolver. The .22 has a six inch barrel, adjustable sites and a 9 shot cylinder. The longer barrel allows for longer range shots out to 50 yards accurately (somewhat) so you can hunt with it along with self defense. And as stated before I can carry 100 rounds in the same space and weight of two Glock mags.

For water a 32oz Nalgene bottle wrapped with riggers tape. It's more durable then water bottles and can be filled easier/faster. A leftover military canteen cup for heating water or cooking

Also I keep a small wooden handle garden shovel in the back off my truck and would grab and carry this also. The head is sharpened and can be used as a weapon as well. It is about 2 1/2 feet long and very durable. It can be strapped to the outside of my Spec Ops day bag or carried. They cost about 10 bucks at Lowes and have many uses.

Comms are important and cell phones might not work so I keep a small hand held radio that uses two AA batts and is no bigger then a pack of cigarettes. This radio only receives but you can get news and info along your way. It picks up AM/FM, TV, Weather and Short wave bands. Be sure to have ears phones so you do not broadcast you presence.

I keep a pair of hiking boots and field cargo pants next to the bag in case I am caught in clothes not appropriate to hike my way back home.

Everything else is what others have as basic food and med supplies.
Old 8 June 2012, 06:05
Confirmed User

I have a Ruger Single Six as part of my grab and go gear. The cylinder easily changes between .22LR and .22Mag, which allows a little versatility. Plus the wife can shoot it easily.

I also have a tomahawk in my gear. Maybe not as effective as a regular hand axe, but a bit more intimidating hanging from my ruck. Plus, I've been able to throw one since I was a kid.
Old 18 June 2012, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
Depends on your location, and what your plan is. I have a few different ones, I don't call them go bags, just "stuff".

For example, the full ruck I keep at the house, is different, and much more minimalist, than the satchel (man purse) that goes in the trunk. One is designed to get me home, the other to live out of. Know what I mean?
Same here. I have "Go Bags" for myself and the family. I also have a "hunker down kit" in case we are trapped with access to the house. Also "survival kits" for each ofthe vehicles as well.
Old 18 June 2012, 13:31

I am putting together a "Bug Out Bag" now. I have already included dehydrated food, map, compass, 550 cord, water purification tabs, knife, leatherman, light weight sleeping bag, poncho, first-aid kit, & sunblock. I am sure I am forgetting something.
I am liking the idea of including a .22 pistol as well. The ammo is cheap, easy to come by, and light.
Old 18 June 2012, 14:13

^ I also have waterproof matches and 2-qt canteens filled with H2O.
Old 18 June 2012, 15:55
Been There Done That

Looks like this guy is going to make money off of the ideas in this thread...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1440318743/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
Old 18 June 2012, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Looks like this guy is going to make money off of the ideas in this thread...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1440318743/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
May be worth a read. I don't know if I would pay 12 bucks for it, but I am sure I could pick up some tips.
Old 19 June 2012, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronErik View Post
I have a Ruger Single Six as part of my grab and go gear. The cylinder easily changes between .22LR and .22Mag, which allows a little versatility. Plus the wife can shoot it easily.

I also have a tomahawk in my gear. Maybe not as effective as a regular hand axe, but a bit more intimidating hanging from my ruck. Plus, I've been able to throw one since I was a kid.
Good call, and the tomahawk, a good skill to have.
Old 23 June 2012, 23:21

I just added some water filters and waterproof maps to my bag (replacing the old paper maprs.)
Old 24 June 2012, 00:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Condoms

You could eat her before things go south by going.. south.
Old 24 June 2012, 01:03
Confirmed User

Small pocket size road atlas or one that fits in your go bag. You might not be driving the roads but you will use them and the towns to navigate long distances if you have traveled far from your home.
Old 22 August 2012, 19:26
Been There Done That

Good stuff posted so far. I have two kids, so there will be extra gear to carry. Can I survive out of an Altoids tin? Sure, but fuck that. I have options, so I plan on carrying more than most. My philosophy is that the mission will dictate the load. If vehicular travel is not an option, I have a Cabelas game cart to load up (should make life a tad bit easier) I can always ditch stuff along the way if need be. With that said, I am pretty sure I will be acquiring things as well.

One thing I have in my bag is gold and junk silver coins. They can be used for purchases and barter. They are light weight and will still have purchasing power during and after the big show.
Old 22 August 2012, 19:43

I have some stuff to add to my bag after reading this.

One thing I've thrown in too is a roll of toilet paper in a ziploc. Can be used for bartering or just making life a little less shitty. (pardon the pun)

Does anyone else have an external frame pack as well?
Old 23 August 2012, 07:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Good stuff posted so far. I have two kids, so there will be extra gear to carry. Can I survive out of an Altoids tin? Sure, but fuck that. I have options, so I plan on carrying more than most. My philosophy is that the mission will dictate the load. If vehicular travel is not an option, I have a Cabelas game cart to load up (should make life a tad bit easier) I can always ditch stuff along the way if need be. With that said, I am pretty sure I will be acquiring things as well.

One thing I have in my bag is gold and junk silver coins. They can be used for purchases and barter. They are light weight and will still have purchasing power during and after the big show.

Make sure you change out the 'standard bicycle type' tires on the game carrier to non puncture wheelbarrow tires- we used them to transport weapons, CL I-V, and MEDEVAC after we did that...
Old 23 August 2012, 09:48
Old Scroll

+1 on the solid / non-puncture tires. Solid Polyethylene tires have come a VERY long way. For a human-powered cart like this, they probably perform better than pneumatic tires, measuring across the whole range of operational environments.

I'm a strong proponent of carts... I'm not expecting to be able to just drive out of the AO... roads will be completely blocked in the DC area, so if you can't actually BEAT the rush, rather than being caught in the "kill zone" it will be far better to hunker down for a while, then try to walk out with your cart(s). There was a bit of discussion here about that very topic about four months ago, I think.

The one problem that mostly everybody will have is the amazing amount of crap that we will want to bring with us. It will be hard to do the actual final packing, with the judicious trimming down of the load plan that will be needed to actually get everything onto a manageable vehicle.

Regarding BoBs... I'm steering away from dehydrated in those particualr applications, and am going instead with either DATREX or MAYDAY packs... they have many times the calories of dehydrated, and don't use up your likely limited water resources. I've also got a LifeStraw tucked into each bag, for when the pre-filled 100 oz water bladder goes dry. The intent of the bag is to simply get you home, so you don't need a balanced, wholesome & textureally pleasing bowl of reconstituted gruel, but rather something you can set your teeth to, and which will fill your belly for a day's hump, maybe two or three. These are both essentially USCG-approved lifeboat rations... the DATREX has coconut in it, and tastes alot like Lorna Doone cookies... shortbread. I've not yet tasted the MAYDAY ration, but I've got some enroute. Anyway, that's the chow & water portion of the Bug out Bags that I've got in the cars. Oh... change the water in the bladders every month or so. Just to be "fresher."

Our new posting rules