SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 23 August 2012, 09:55
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75
....so if you can't actually BEAT the rush, rather than being caught in the "kill zone" it will be far better to hunker down for a while, then try to walk out with your cart(s).
+ a bazillion. Your badass shooting skills won't work for shit when you either run out of bullets or are simply maneuvering through miles of ambush and sniper situations. And when you go down -- if you are with family -- what do they do now? No, hole up and defend -- far better than trying to push through someone else's defenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75
Regarding BoBs... I'm steering away from dehydrated in those particualr applications, and am going instead with either DATREX or MAYDAY packs... they have many times the calories of dehydrated, and don't use up your likely limited water resources. I've also got a LifeStraw tucked into each bag, for when the pre-filled 100 oz water bladder goes dry....
Ditto. I've seen a number of these USCG-oriented products out there and they are offering huge amounts of calories. The jury is out on whether they are going to cause you digestive issues -- but seriously -- we're talking about a relatively short amount of time -- you can survive a little constipation once you get to where you were hoping to....
Old 23 August 2012, 14:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
+1 on the solid / non-puncture tires. Solid Polyethylene tires have come a VERY long way. For a human-powered cart like this, they probably perform better than pneumatic tires, measuring across the whole range of operational environments.
These are what I'm talking about

http://www.ruralking.com/tricam-10-n...re-fr1030.html

slide right onto the existing axle and voila'! no more flats...
Old 23 August 2012, 18:07
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
These are what I'm talking about

http://www.ruralking.com/tricam-10-n...re-fr1030.html

slide right onto the existing axle and voila'! no more flats...

You and me both. That's a solid PE tire. Runs "flat" from day one, as it's NOT a pneumatic tire, but rather solid. Nice. Harbor Freight carries stuff like this all the time for cheap. On foot diameter tires, mounted on a good hub with good bearings, on a good day / sale, maybe $30 ea.
Old 24 August 2012, 23:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Make sure you change out the 'standard bicycle type' tires on the game carrier to non puncture wheelbarrow tires- we used them to transport weapons, CL I-V, and MEDEVAC after we did that...
The Cabelas Super hauler already has puncture proof wheels. I am going to order the extra set of wheels and the brush guards. What a sight it would be, hauling this loaded down pig into the high desert. Can you say tactical circus? haha!
Old 24 August 2012, 23:32
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
The Cabelas Super hauler already has puncture proof wheels. I am going to order the extra set of wheels and the brush guards.!
Looks like all of that is on sale, too -- cool....
Old 25 August 2012, 02:44
Awaiting the Terrologist?

You know, this all makes me think ... it's been a long time since I dealt with babies and small children. My youngest (step daughter) is now 16 and no grandkids (yet) but how are those of you with ankle biters prepping to bug out?

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 25 August 2012, 06:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
The Cabelas Super hauler already has puncture proof wheels. I am going to order the extra set of wheels and the brush guards. What a sight it would be, hauling this loaded down pig into the high desert. Can you say tactical circus? haha!

these are the EXACT SAME MODELS we used(48 of them)- the Chinese made bicycle tires SUCK. They collapsed under load when a sharp turn was made. Over 3000 miles (total) use performing movements, CASEVAC, and transporting loads put on those tires.

BUY the extra long axle and put the tires I listed above on it. You won't be disappointed or BROKEN DOWN trying to figure out how to carry your chow and weapons...

After you get it assembled wrap the 'handle with pipe insulation and bind in place with grip tape
Old 25 August 2012, 07:40
The Sagacious One

Double Tap
Old 25 August 2012, 07:42
The Sagacious One

The food I focus on is right in the grocery store, the foil.plastic packs of salmon and tuna. Small and durable, no water needed, lots of nutrition and NO COOKING. Its also a treat when added to rice or noodles.

This is a good one as protein will be much harder to come by.

I also have the privilege of living where most of you are going, so I concentrate more having what I need here.

I do have a few small BOB for the car and truck etc.
Old 25 August 2012, 08:05
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
You know, this all makes me think ... it's been a long time since I dealt with babies and small children. My youngest (step daughter) is now 16 and no grandkids (yet) but how are those of you with ankle biters prepping to bug out?

Cheers,
That's a damn good question. I have a 3 and 4 year old and the wife is 3 months pregnant. The toddlers eat and drink what we do. The only thing I see is they slow you down if your on foot and need to move quick. Maybe one of those carts with an attached jumpseat(s)? For the baby, I have one of those harness deals. The bitch about babys is if they aren't on the tit, they'll need formula or in a pinch normal milk. We also go thru wet-wipes at the rapid rate at my house. So def stock up on those, anti-bacterial type. Also, those blankets another poster mentioned look good. I need to order a few poncho liners as well as a few mil issue ponchos. Those things are priceless for a hasty shelter. A few rolls of 550 cord will get packed. Basic assortment of 1st aid essentials and antibiotics. I'll be looking forward to what others say on the child isue.
Old 25 August 2012, 10:14
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Ditto. I've seen a number of these USCG-oriented products out there and they are offering huge amounts of calories. The jury is out on whether they are going to cause you digestive issues -- but seriously -- we're talking about a relatively short amount of time -- you can survive a little constipation once you get to where you were hoping to....
When I was getting my USCG Masters Captains license, we spent hours on end talking about life-rafts/boats/floats. And discussed the food rations in detail. The food rations you should look for are not "USCG" approved, but should exceed the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) standard. They have a shelf life of 5 years and are designed to not absorb your body fluids.
About the best on the market, IMO, is http://www.compactforlife.com/
They also have packaged water for life-rafts, probably not needed in a go bag.
Their emergency rations meet the same standard and shelf life. Not sure what the difference between those and the Maritime rations. Happy hunting.

"I wish you could see, what I can see... Sometimes, you have to be up really high... To understand how small you are. I'm coming home now." Felix Baumgartner
Old 25 August 2012, 11:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post

Cheers,
Excellent point! Bugging out with small children requires a lot more logistics and poses many different challenges than for two fit (or somewhat fit adults).

My stepson is 12, a very small 12. He cant possibly carry all his own gear in a go bag, plus water, plus food, etc. It is unrealistic to expect that from a child. They will be traumatized enough during this ordeal (hopefully it never comes to that) mentally and emotionally.

I made sure to pack some hard candy (gay farmers) and things he likes to eat so I can include them in his food rations. Its one thing to try to talk your old lady into eating bugs and drinking piss to survive, but that's not gonna happen with my 16 yr old girl! I also made sure I kept an old Iphone 3G which has a few different games he likes to play on it. This will help him find some kind of normalcy in uncertain times. I read a lot of info on prepping and bugging out, and it seems like people expect children to act like adults, and I'm sure they will try, but in reality they are just kids. Their entire job is just to be kids.

I would suggest giving young kids responsibilities so they feel they are a part of things, not like luggage. It will help keep them engaged. To an extent, you will lose noise discipline and the ability to move light and fast. As a result, I would think you would want to create a larger security perimeter if possible.

For babies, there are lots of different chest rigs and back rigs that you can carry them in. It is what it is. For tots, there are some pretty outstanding jogging strollers with bike type wheels. They would have to be modified to beef up their pussified state out of the box, but they could provide a means to carry little ones plus some of their essential gear.

I hope I sparked some creativity here. Any holes in my thinking? This could be its own thread I'm sure.

Bugging out with kids = tactical circus.
Old 25 August 2012, 11:11
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Bugging out with kids = tactical circus.
Dude, everday life in general and even just getting out of the house to do routine shit is a circus with my crew.
Old 27 August 2012, 15:34
Migratory Coconut

I'm thinking that you'd also have to pack some extra cloth + sewing kit or larger clothes for the kids. I don't know about the rest of you but my daughter is 6 and will grow out of everything that fits her right now in the next 6-8 months. I'd probably pack about 4lbs of light stuff that she can carry herself in her bag. Some of that would definitely be her drawing stuff, likely dry erase stuff to begin with and then switch to crayons and paper because Mac is right, kids need to be kids and have some amount of normal.

Some great ideas thus far.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 27 August 2012, 16:06
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsurccapt View Post
When I was getting my USCG Masters Captains license, we spent hours on end talking about life-rafts/boats/floats. And discussed the food rations in detail. The food rations you should look for are not "USCG" approved, but should exceed the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) standard. They have a shelf life of 5 years and are designed to not absorb your body fluids.
About the best on the market, IMO, is http://www.compactforlife.com/
They also have packaged water for life-rafts, probably not needed in a go bag.
Their emergency rations meet the same standard and shelf life. Not sure what the difference between those and the Maritime rations. Happy hunting.
I find it fairly irritating when they are not clear right up front with you on product specifications. they claim 255 calories per biscuit, but don't say clearly how many biscuits per package... may be 18, but that seems high. I certainly have a hard time believing 4590 calories in that one block package of BP5 shown.

How about Datrex Rations, or Mayday Rations? Both are very readily available, and both are 2400 calories per pack, USCG approved as lifeboat rations, and both have a 5 year specified shelf life. Oh... they're pretty cheap, too.
Old 27 August 2012, 16:27
The atomic zit

Quote:
...your post...
FWIW,

I "contacted" compactforlife...

I request nutritional information on your BP-5 product.

I request nutritional content and calories per weight.

Respectfully,

Stretch

BTW: I will sell and ship you 6000 kcals per block for 1/2 their price... :D

please note that all shipments will be 100% fat, including, but not limited to milk fat, pork fat and/or any other fat we like, or don't like...
Old 27 August 2012, 17:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
I find it fairly irritating when they are not clear right up front with you on product specifications. they claim 255 calories per biscuit, but don't say clearly how many biscuits per package... may be 18, but that seems high. I certainly have a hard time believing 4590 calories in that one block package of BP5 shown.

How about Datrex Rations, or Mayday Rations? Both are very readily available, and both are 2400 calories per pack, USCG approved as lifeboat rations, and both have a 5 year specified shelf life. Oh... they're pretty cheap, too.
B 2/75
Have you ever tasted any of these rations? I have not. Cardboard? I have not seen anything that is worth buying out there yet. What am I missing? There has to be something out there worth the $$$.

Tuna, spam repacked in zip locked, airtight bags might be the way to go for short term. I would have to have an alful lot of pkg gravey for the biscuts
Old 27 August 2012, 17:50
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
FWIW,
I "contacted" compactforlife...
I request nutritional information on your BP-5 product.
I request nutritional content and calories per weight.
Respectfully,
Stretch

BTW: I will sell and ship you 6000 kcals per block for 1/2 their price... :D
please note that all shipments will be 100% fat, including, but not limited to milk fat, pork fat and/or any other fat we like, or don't like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
B 2/75
Have you ever tasted any of these rations? I have not. Cardboard? I have not seen anything that is worth buying out there yet. What am I missing? There has to be something out there worth the $$$.
Tuna, spam repacked in zip locked, airtight bags might be the way to go for short term. I would have to have an alful lot of pkg gravey for the biscuts
Stretch: I guess I just don't get it... you cracking a funny?

Stopp: I have tasted both the Datrex and Mayday rations.
Both are pretty good. Datrex has a flavor like Lorna Doone shortbread cookies, and the Mayday tastes of Apples. Neither one makes you particularly thirsty. That "compactforlife" product admits to having a rather large water requirement for consuming their product... not something you want to hear when you already KNOW that you'll be on the road, and the water currently on your back is what you've got unless you forage for more. Considering these packs should stay in your BoB in the trunk of the car unmolested for up to five years before they hit 'shelf life,' and that their only mission in life is to give you some energy as you hump home from work, because your car isn't making it, then YES, they are more than adequate to the task. They taste pretty good; I wouldn't likely sit around and nibble on them as I'm watching Breaking Bad, but when I was 20 I probably would have.
Old 27 August 2012, 18:23
The atomic zit

Quote:
Stretch: I guess I just don't get it... you cracking a funny...
Half and half. Half serious, half joke.

Serious part:

I agree that there is no indication of what is what, nutritional wise on the website. I sent an email asking that question. If they respond, I will post it up.

Joke part:

I will sell you vegetable fat or animal fat, unless there is another kind. Fat is full of calories and at 255 kcal/biscuit and long as you don't care what they weight or how much space they take up, we should be good to go... :D

Take Care.
Old 28 August 2012, 02:23
Sardonic Fattist

I've eaten a biscuit from a SOLAS rated life raft ration pack. Never again hopefully. Tasted like sawdust and gave me a helluva thirst.
Rule# when abandoning ship is grab some food on the way out because the rations suck. Definitely not something you want in a go-bag

Our new posting rules