Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 20 August 2013, 21:17
Broke D***

Picked up yesterday. The mag pouches, pistol holster, AND carrier are all made by Condor. As far as the plates go they don't seem to shabby. The bedliner on them is pretty rough, but it doesn't seem that it would be enough to significantly wear out the carrier over time. The edges are pretty well rounded on the plates. The only thing I would have done differently is to buy the carrier somewhere else (Probably would've saved some money that way) and to get the curved plates, but all in all I'm pretty happy with them.

They also sent in a sheet showing the tests they ran on the plates. I'll scan it tonight and upload pics of the plates.
Old 10 December 2013, 11:38
Bitter old man.

Spall test on coated plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkJM1elAyc
Old 25 March 2014, 05:37
Make a desert and call it peace.

They're running a sale on some stuff at present, and I got my income tax refund, so I picked up a couple things. One set of plates for the house gear and a carrier plate combo to throw in the car. I'll take some pics and provide a review when they arrive. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 25 March 2014, 07:28
The Sagacious One

Heavy or not, a good price that will allow for some "spares". I shoot AR500 steel targets and they easily withstand 300 WM rounds. I think this is some decent kit for $.

They also have IIIA soft armor panels as well. That should shave off some of the weight.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 25 March 2014 at 07:49.
Old 25 March 2014, 08:23
Confirmed User

AR500 withstands 338 Lapua.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 25 March 2014, 08:29

Depends on thickness, projectile, impact velocity and a bunch of other factors, but it's certainly possible. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 25 March 2014, 09:30
The Sagacious One

Here is one of my full size AR500 IPSC targets. It has literally thousands of rounds from 300 WM, 30.06, 6.8 7.62 x 39 as well as a myriad of pistol rds and shotgun slugs and buck. It also has small holes where some dicks shot it with AP from an M1 Garand.

Old 25 March 2014, 10:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Depends on thickness, projectile, impact velocity and a bunch of other factors, but it's certainly possible. S/F...Ken M
I have 1/2 in. AR500 and have shot numerous rounds at it with my 338 Lapua.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 5 April 2014, 09:57
Bitter old man.

Here is a test against 7.62x54R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyfx-pJhO4
Old 25 April 2014, 08:17

OK, my gear was delivered the other day. Took about 4 weeks from order to delivery, so it's not off the shelf, next day type service but they're up front about it and I think that's reasonable.

I bought a sale item, which was a tan basic plate carrier assembly with MOLLE webbing on it. If you don't add any pouches or anything, it's flat enough where you could wear this under winter or other heavy clothing without looking like somebody threw a overcoat on top of their stormtrooper armor.

It was $200 for the entire assembly, one curved front plate, one flat rear plate and the carrier. I find that reasonable.

The carrier is bottom load, with no internal straps to secure the plate to the vest other than the Velcro fastener at the bottom. It is secure enough at present, but I'm not sure of the long term. If the Velcro fails, the plate will fall out and bash you right on top of the thighs. Would hurt. The seams are double stitched and it's got a "Made in the USA" tag, made by Palm, which is nice. Is it as good as my old SOE stuff? No, but quality seems very reasonable for the $. The shoulder straps are adjustable(more Velcro) and have good padding sliders. The straps are far enough apart where they don't chafe the neck unless perhaps you're named Magnus and install truck tires without tools for a living or some shit. I'm not going to do a MCCRES with it, but it's comfy enough walking around the house for a bit. I'm sure my neighbors wonder about me anyways. Oh well, tough shit, I lived here first.

The plates themselves are thin, about 1/2" much less bulky than ceramic (SAPI etc) but noticeably heavier. They're coated with bed liner, but not the heavy buildup they offer.

Overall. Good deal for basic rifle rated armor. This setup is going into my car along with the "get back to the house" kit. S/F....Ken M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0072[1].jpg (21.2 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0073[1].jpg (41.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 15 November 2015, 10:04
Not a ninja...

Gents,

It has been a year and half and these have a 20% discount.. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about ordering..

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...iday-sale.html
Old 15 November 2015, 23:48

I've bought multiple sets from there. They have LVL III+ now. The "+" being an industry terminology, as there is no "III+" NIJ standard.

I've got multiple sets of armor carriers and plate carriers too. IMO, the plates do what they are designed to do, nothing more, nothing less. The comfort factor is a derived property from the plate/armor carrier -- not the AR500 itself.

Youtube is full of videos by people torturing the living shit out of the plates. From .22LR to .50BMG. And every conceivable caliber in-between.

Would order again if I had to.
Old 16 November 2015, 00:02
Confirmed User

They are pushing this heavily on Facebook through targeted advertising.
Old 16 November 2015, 10:18
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I've bought multiple sets from there. They have LVL III+ now. The "+" being an industry terminology, as there is no "III+" NIJ standard.

I've got multiple sets of armor carriers and plate carriers too. IMO, the plates do what they are designed to do, nothing more, nothing less. The comfort factor is a derived property from the plate/armor carrier -- not the AR500 itself.

Youtube is full of videos by people torturing the living shit out of the plates. From .22LR to .50BMG. And every conceivable caliber in-between.

Would order again if I had to.
Same here very happy with their products.
Old 16 November 2015, 15:41
The Sagacious One

Get the extra rhino coating. It does a good job of controlling Spawl. FWIW, Sportsmansguide has Ceramic level 4 plates on sale for under $200 each, if you are a member.
Old 16 November 2015, 16:09
Not a ninja...

Rgr, done. Not too bad I think, $175 for curved, III+, with the extra buildup and the trauma pads. The one thing I liked about the steel over the ceramic was the durability.

Thank you for the help.
Old 16 November 2015, 17:19
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Get the extra rhino coating. It does a good job of controlling Spawl. FWIW, Sportsmansguide has Ceramic level 4 plates on sale for under $200 each, if you are a member.
I follow my platoon Sgt's first rule of combat.

"Don't get shot."

Mine came with Line-X and I bought the advanced shooter cut plates.The videos I have watched the Line-X really controled the spall.
Old 27 July 2016, 19:25
Confirmed User

Been researching here, and a novice when it comes to this body armor and carriers. AR500 stood out, from a price perspective, but have seen up and down posts. I am interested in picking up a couple of rigs regardless of manufacturer (within reason).

Again, I am a novice. Interested in knowing opinions about this company's products, current, and the better of the "brands". I intend to purchase a couple of them: carriers and plates. New is preferred.

I will donate them locally in my AO. I have already donated a couple of weapons for training purposes to my local PD, this would seem to fall in line. I would appreciate input on this subject.

Either here or on PM. I appreciate it.

Last edited by jportal50; 27 July 2016 at 19:37.
Old 27 July 2016, 22:38
The Sagacious One

Level IV AR500 plates and one of their carriers can be had for under $300. Its a good deal for you and a life saver for the local PD.
Old 28 July 2016, 13:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Level IV AR500 plates and one of their carriers can be had for under $300. Its a good deal for you and a life saver for the local PD.
Thank you sir!! That is what they will be.

Our new posting rules