SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 21 December 2016, 22:38

Salomon Quest 4D GTX Forces

Evening everyone. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the durability of these boots in the overseas AO. They are my current duty boots with my job here Stateside. They are probably the best pair of boots I've owned.

I used to swear by Bates and Danner while in the Corps. I've had a decent pair of 5.11s that lasted a long time until I had a blow out. But the Salomon Forces are amazing. My concern is whether the boots will hold up over in Afghanistan.

Thanks for anyone's advice. Better to learn from others' experience. I've deployed to many areas, Afghanistan was never one of them, so if everything goes well with the background check it will be a new experience.

Old 21 December 2016, 22:41

Apparently I screwed up the link to the boots. Hopefully someone has used them in the past.
Old 21 December 2016, 22:44
Confirmed User

I had them in Afghanistan. I liked them if it was cold, wet, or we were expecting to patrol over canals. For just hanging around the FOB, hotter weather, or lighter ops I preferred Merrills...it just depends what you're expecting to do. But in general, can't go wrong with the Quests.
Old 22 December 2016, 05:18
Ne Obliviscaris

While I haven't owned the boots you mention, I've owned Salomon products and still have a pair of trail shoes in my rotation. Great product. My last boot purchase, I went with the Salewa ALP FLOW MID GTX's to try something new. Should've bought a pair of Salomon Quest GTX's. I'm not impressed with the Salewa's.
Old 21 February 2018, 10:23
Been There Done That

Anybody else wearing these now, looking to get a new boot and recently bought the Merrill Moab which are ok but they offer zero ankle support so looking for something a little higher.

Funny because I've tried several different brands and types of boots over the years but as mentioned in the other thread I seem to always go back to my OD Jungle boots.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Our new posting rules