SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 18 January 2018, 19:25
Navigating

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Yup, only in the real world they'd eventually be fired.
Only in the real world haha
Old 23 January 2018, 19:02
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Wherever you go, lead by example. If you take the lead, and no one follows, go somewhere else and work.

Jobs are out there. Keep in mind that all cops are not that way. Also keep in mind that those guys are gonna be your back up. If they won't get off their asses because it's cold.... Seek better people elsewhere.

Good luck.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 24 January 2018, 18:12
Authorized Personnel

There have been these types since time began in every profession. I retired 8 years ago now and even though it seems like yesterday, it wasn't. The comments here are very typical from both sides of the aisle. The guys who are lazy and say - I don't write tickets unless someone really does something bad. And the ones that go over the top and brag about numbers of stops and arrests. I would rather think of it in a different fashion or mindset. When I made an arrest for DUI, I did not get an arrest for DUI, I stopped a drunk driver from killing him or her self and leaving their family without a parent or child. When I arrested the woman for child endangerment, I chose to see it as I saved the 4-month-old baby from hypothermia because it was 0 degrees and she was dressed only in a diaper while her mother held her and talked on a pay phone trying to score drugs for 30 minutes. Yes, I wrote tickets, but I also gave 5 times as many warnings. A wise chief gave me some great advice one day. Every stop you make, you warn every driver that drives by and sees you. They don't care what you did/do to the driver you have stopped. As a supervisor, it irritated me that there were guys who said I only stop the most egregious violators. What they meant was, I am lazy. A stop does not mean a ticket and a stop gets you out of the car and interacting with the public. You can give directions to the lost person who made the turn from the wrong lane. You can help more than you hurt. As stated earlier, you sound like the kind of guy I want in my community, so set the standard and leave the other officers to wallow in their mud.

Best of luck,

CG
Old 25 January 2018, 02:46
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
Wherever you go, lead by example. If you take the lead, and no one follows, go somewhere else and work.

Jobs are out there. Keep in mind that all cops are not that way. Also keep in mind that those guys are gonna be your back up. If they won't get off their asses because it's cold.... Seek better people elsewhere.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
There have been these types since time began in every profession. I retired 8 years ago now and even though it seems like yesterday, it wasn't. The comments here are very typical from both sides of the aisle. The guys who are lazy and say - I don't write tickets unless someone really does something bad. And the ones that go over the top and brag about numbers of stops and arrests. I would rather think of it in a different fashion or mindset. When I made an arrest for DUI, I did not get an arrest for DUI, I stopped a drunk driver from killing him or her self and leaving their family without a parent or child. When I arrested the woman for child endangerment, I chose to see it as I saved the 4-month-old baby from hypothermia because it was 0 degrees and she was dressed only in a diaper while her mother held her and talked on a pay phone trying to score drugs for 30 minutes. Yes, I wrote tickets, but I also gave 5 times as many warnings. A wise chief gave me some great advice one day. Every stop you make, you warn every driver that drives by and sees you. They don't care what you did/do to the driver you have stopped. As a supervisor, it irritated me that there were guys who said I only stop the most egregious violators. What they meant was, I am lazy. A stop does not mean a ticket and a stop gets you out of the car and interacting with the public. You can give directions to the lost person who made the turn from the wrong lane. You can help more than you hurt. As stated earlier, you sound like the kind of guy I want in my community, so set the standard and leave the other officers to wallow in their mud.

Best of luck,

CG
Thank you, gentlemen. Very much appreciate it. Crucible guy, enjoy your retirement. I've seen and heard it's a tough job to walk away from.

Old 25 January 2018, 03:10
Red Headed Stepchild

Great thread.
Old 25 January 2018, 23:24
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post

Best of luck,

CG
Spot on

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 26 January 2018, 17:43
BTDT

Do the right thing, it's your reputation that will follow you throughout your career.
Old 26 January 2018, 18:16
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Not being in a leadership position
I’m no officer of the law but I do know one thing, you don’t need to be in a “leadership” position to lead, people do it all of the time. Lead from where you are. What that means to you personally I don’t know. But I’d guess it means doing by example.
Old 5 March 2018, 16:19

Also don't forget, not all agencies are the same. If you have the ability to join an agency that may be farther away from home (i.e. federal or state agency) then you might find it more suited to your liking.

Always remember that probably 90% of the job is just knowing how to talk to people. Being respectful to folks you contact (even if they are dirtbags) can go a long way. The old saying "its easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar" rings true in a lot of situations. Other situations need a gallon of vinegar.
Old 6 March 2018, 01:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Any advise?
BTDT...

It is up to YOU to be the example. I faced this exact same problem as a Recruit, Officer, Detective, Sergeant, and Federal Agent.

Be the example that you wish others would be. It will allow you to hold your head high, and look in the mirror every day.

Oh, and when the shit hits the fan, guess who the bosses call on first? It sure as fuck isn't the lazy do-nothings who refuse to improve themselves.

Good luck with it, seriously so.
Old 8 March 2018, 16:45
Navigating

Thank you all for these responses. I think anyone, not just me can heed all the wisdom.

Our new posting rules