SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 9 March 2018, 16:19
Confirmed User

Hasta Muerte Coffee - More craziness from Oakland, CA

Just saw this instagram posting from a local coffee shop regarding an incident in which a Police Officer who happens to be latino as well was refused service:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfhk_ZHAIMU/?

Here's the narrative in the posting:

hastamuertecoffeeLast Friday February 16th a police (OPD) entered our shop and was told by one of our worker-owners that “we have a policy of asking police to leave for the physical and emotional safety of our customers and ourselves.” Since then, cop supporters are trying to publicly shame us online with low reviews because this particular police visitor was Latino. He broadcasted to his network that he was “refused service” at a local business and now the rumblings are spreading.
We know in our experience working on campaigns against police brutality that we are not alone saying that police presence compromises our feeling of physical & emotional safety. There are those that do not share that sentiment - be it because they have a friend or relative who is a police, because they are white or have adopted the privileges whiteness affords, because they are home- or business- owning, or whatever the particular case may be. If they want to make claims about police being part of the community, or claims that race trumps the badge & gun when it comes to police, they must accept that the burden of proof for such a claim is on them. OPDs recent attempts to enlist officers of color and its short term touting of fewer officer involved shootings does not reverse or mend its history of corruption, mismanagement, and scandal, nor a legacy of blatant repression.

The facts are that poc, women, and queer police are complicit in upholding the same law and order that routinely criminalizes and terrorizes black and brown and poor folks, especially youth, trans, and houseless folks.

For these reasons and so many more, we need the support of the actual community to keep this place safe, not police. Especially in an area faced by drug sales and abuse, homelessness, and toxic masculinity as we see here on this block. We want to put this out to our communities now, in case we end up facing backlash because as we know OPD, unlike the community, has tons of resources, many of which are poured into maintaining smooth public relations to uphold power. It will be no surprise if some of those resources are steered toward discrediting us for not inviting them in as part of the community.

Thus far, they're catching a ton of flak but they're standing by their stupidity. The other amazing part is there's actually 643 thus far who support their position. Response times in Oakland are pretty bad but I suspect it'll be even slower for these folks if they ever need assistance from law enforcement.
Old 9 March 2018, 16:32
Been There Done That

Let's go rob and shoot up the joint and see how safe they feel. Fucking idiots.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 9 March 2018, 17:51
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
The facts are that poc, women, and queer police are complicit in upholding the same law and order that routinely criminalizes and terrorizes black and brown and poor folks, especially youth, trans, and houseless folks.
Hard to argue with that statement. Law and order bad. You heard it from a barista in Oakland first.
Old 9 March 2018, 18:06
Never to old to learn

Hell if it states Oakland CA, I just think so what is new, just the same old shit.
Old 9 March 2018, 18:23
Confirmed User

Seems like a good opening for uh, someone enterprising to open a coffee place across the street:

Haven Coffee: grab a shot without being shot. White male cops welcomed.

If I hear someone say 'toxic masculinity' one more time.......
Old 9 March 2018, 18:23
Shovel Whisperer

Good News. Their FB page is down. Their Shit reviews are stacking up on yelp. . . .

Way to go!
Old 9 March 2018, 18:25
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Hard to argue with that statement. Law and order bad. You heard it from a barista in Oakland first.
Spot on! He/she/ze should know. That 5 year degree in "emotion" and 1800th century lesbian butterfly poetry is paying off.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 9 March 2018, 18:27
Authorized Personnel

God forbid "toxic masculinity." It might actually catch on and become infectious causing males to actually act like men.

Well, I guess the pansy brigade can't deal with men. I bet they don't even sell straight-up black coffee because it's too harsh.
Old 9 March 2018, 18:33
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
God forbid "toxic masculinity." It might actually catch on and become infectious causing males to actually act like men.

Well, I guess the pansy brigade can't deal with men. I bet they don't even sell straight-up black coffee because it's too harsh.
Did you just assume that coffees sexual orientation and race?

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 9 March 2018, 18:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Did you just assume that coffees sexual orientation and race?
Indeed I did....
Old 9 March 2018, 18:58
Confirmed User

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHrqSWHFcG/

Fuck em.
Old 9 March 2018, 19:31
The atomic zit

Is, “talk with your neighbors not the police” a decent translation?
Old 9 March 2018, 19:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Thus far, they're catching a ton of flak but they're standing by their stupidity.
I admire their courage in their convictions. I expect that instead of calling the police in an emergency, they'll find another, less violent, way to solve their problem.
Old 9 March 2018, 19:39
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I can't believe I've never bought from you.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 9 March 2018, 20:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Is, “talk with your neighbors not the police” a decent translation?
'everyone welcome, unless you're x, y, or z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I admire their courage in their convictions. I expect that instead of calling the police in an emergency, they'll find another, less violent, way to solve their problem.
When the zombies come, they'll be the first to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I can't either. haha, anytime....
Old 9 March 2018, 20:27
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Not something to admit in public. His coffee is outstanding. And that is coming from a guy who has drank the best in Central America and central Africa.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 9 March 2018, 20:46
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Seems like a good opening for uh, someone enterprising to open a coffee place across the street:

Haven Coffee: grab a shot without being shot. White male cops welcomed.

If I hear someone say 'toxic masculinity' one more time.......
Do it! I sure hope they don't call the cops for anything.

http://www.hastamuertecoffee.com/#hasta-muerte-coffee

Loony tunes
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 March 2018, 20:58
Swimming Upstream

....please delete
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 March 2018, 21:41
Shovel Whisperer

Wow.
Gees. Think I could get a no interest loan endorsed by my City too??

https://www.kiva.org/lend/1281318
Old 9 March 2018, 22:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Not something to admit in public. His coffee is outstanding. And that is coming from a guy who has drank the best in Central America and central Africa.
that's very kind of you! Thank you!

Our new posting rules