Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 8 May 2007, 14:56
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyoper22
i've had an automatic Benchmade 9050SBK serrated for the past 4 years. the best thing about it is the grip on the handle. if you want meatier handle and grip, this knife is the one.

http://www.benchmade.com/loading.aspx?model=9050

another one that has a meaty grip that i can think of is the Gerber Gator grip, and it's only a fraction of the price of a BM. it won't disappoint you.

http://www.rockynational.com/1106_06...ated_Edge.html

goodluck with the search.
Cheers.

That gerber gator looks like something I am looking for (though I am not a gerber guy). The benchmade did me right but it looks like I am going to ahve to take a look at that gerber.
thanks
Old 8 May 2007, 15:14
Confirmed User

yeah, same here, i'm really not a Gerber guy. i think that they use too soft of a metal for knife and tool abusers such as myself, but the price is always right. the grip on that Gator is more than decent btw.

the only thing i don't like about the Gator is the sheath it comes in, it's durable nylon, however, the grip on that knife is so strong that it doesn't go in and out tactially at all.

cheers.

Last edited by psyoper22; 8 May 2007 at 16:14.
Old 8 May 2007, 15:44
Administrator

Take a look at this one. I have one and I love it. It has the biggest chunk of steel for a blade I have ever seen on a folder and a big meaty handle. I also carry Microtechs, but I am careful about how I use them as they are expensive. I've had two AFO's. This knife is better. I've had half a dozen Gerbers and broke every damn one. Their steel is too brittle. This knife is virtually indestructible and is only $100.00 or so. Get one in your hand and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.crocblades.com/store/cata...roduct=882SBTG
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 8 May 2007, 16:09
Nexus Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t10Guy
looks like a good one. Need a slightly bigger blade though.
You carry one Saw7616? Like it?

I'm very HIGH drag... I carry a benchmade auto... I got one of these for my dad... he's retired, the assisted open works well for him.

edited cause I'm a moron

Last edited by Saw7616; 8 May 2007 at 20:20.
Old 8 May 2007, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Take a look at this one. I have one and I love it. It has the biggest chunk of steel for a blade I have ever seen on a folder and a big meaty handle. http://www.crocblades.com/store/cata...roduct=882SBTG
Well that is what I am looking for, I will check that one out. Need a good heavy blade.
Old 8 May 2007, 17:32
Been There Done That

If you had the Benchmade "Emerson," why not upgrade to the Emerson "Emerson?" Their knives are better than Benchmade anyways. Or just go for a Strider.
Old 8 May 2007, 18:32
Grumpy Bastard

If you were happy with the CQC7, but the scales were a little small for you, try the Commander. Scales are a tad larger, blade is a little less 'high speed' more a 'general purpose' configuration.
Could be worth a try?

Best of luck with your choice.
Old 9 May 2007, 15:08
Been There Done That

10 years of service from Benchmade would make my decision easy. I have one that is working great for me and will gladly fork out for another when the time comes. Good luck in the search and remember to keep the edge sharp.
Old 10 May 2007, 00:14
Confirmed User

I would highly reccomend EMERSON (with the wave feature)

Specifically the Emerson Commander, it has an unbelieveable feel to it, perfectly fits the your hand (and your pants) and opens faster than any auto.

To be honest, until the patent expires on the wave feature, I would not even consider another folding knife maker, its just that awesome.

Pull it out...ITS OPEN

Commander can be had on ebay for $150, carries lifetime warrantee.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:11

Like the Wave huh? I checked out the Gerber Gator grips and I like the grip, I just hate gerbers. And the benchmade emerson lasted so long I am going to take a look at the Commander.
Old 10 May 2007, 19:31
Confirmed User

Ive had 2 gerber gators. Both of them ended up breaking off at the tip.
I loved the feel of it but I am very rough on knives and needed somthing stronger.
Old 10 May 2007, 19:58
Confirmed User

yeah, it seems as though Gerber uses soft metals to make their tools and knives. i had a Gerber multi-tool in Iraq, and one side of the plier levers broke clean off while normal usage. i was very disappointed.

however, it's more of a knife thing that tips break off; i think it really depends on what you use it for. i'm a big abuser when it comes to knives and tools.

if i were to ever want a reliable knife that didn't break in any way, i'd buy a good, one-sided fixed blade. they can take a beating.
Old 10 May 2007, 22:47
Confirmed User

I would recommend the Buck Strider in D2. I spoke to Duane Dwyer about them a couple of years ago and he said that the biggest difference between them, and an actual Strider is the hand fitting of all the parts. He said that the quality control in the Bucks met Strider standards and that they abused the hell out of them in the production test runs. Every time there was something lacking, Strider made them fix it. The quality in materials is supposed to be exemplary, but that the fit and finish is pretty much what you can expect from a production knife as opposed to a production custom. I personally carry a Chris Reeve large Sebenza. I found it in a pawn shop for 40 bucks. It is such a nice and rugged knife that I would have an extremely hard time going back to anything lesser.:)
Old 10 May 2007, 22:57
Probationary User

Gerber's really gone to hell the last few years. I have one of their older EZ-Outs, and it's great. The newer, skeletonized version is a POS. Had an older Gator, gave it to my father, and he broke its tip. He uses it as a knife/screwdriver. If you like that sort of thing, check out the Razel:

http://www.grahamknives.com/razel_info.htm

My current main-use EDC is this:

http://www.knivesplus.com/KA-4062-KABAR.HTML

A very sturdy knife, remarkable for the price, takes a super edge, and the tip is kind of reinforced by the blade's shape. There are other blade designs, including serrated, but I think this is the strongest.

There are always Spydercos. The Al Mar SERE 2000 is a piece of work. I'm currently holding out for this little number, been waiting for it a long time (assisted opener, too, and they offer a non-assisted version):

http://www.crocblades.com/store/cata...product=CR2903

Take care.
Old 25 May 2007, 16:48

Probably a little too little too late, but...

The Buck Strider SBMF is a nice Buck production of a Strider design. VERY meaty in the hand with a nice strong blade.

The Emerson Commander has already been recommended and is a good blade.

If you like something with a deeper in the pocket type carry, check out some of the SOG folders... several have decent spear points sharpened on both edges (at least for the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so) for better penetration should you need / value that.
Old 26 May 2007, 13:25
Confirmed User

Here is a real great place for buying knives

www.tadgear.com

Great service, large selection from production to customs, folders to fixed blades
Old 26 May 2007, 13:53
A Scoundrel and a Drunkard

Another vote for Emerson. Sharpens well unlike a lot of small folders. Mine has been well used and the blade is still as good as the day I bought it.
Old 26 May 2007, 14:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankborelli
Probably a little too little too late, but...

The Buck Strider SBMF is a nice Buck production of a Strider design. VERY meaty in the hand with a nice strong blade.

The Emerson Commander has already been recommended and is a good blade.

If you like something with a deeper in the pocket type carry, check out some of the SOG folders... several have decent spear points sharpened on both edges (at least for the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so) for better penetration should you need / value that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Take a look at this one. I have one and I love it. It has the biggest chunk of steel for a blade I have ever seen on a folder and a big meaty handle. I also carry Microtechs, but I am careful about how I use them as they are expensive. I've had two AFO's. This knife is better. I've had half a dozen Gerbers and broke every damn one. Their steel is too brittle. This knife is virtually indestructible and is only $100.00 or so. Get one in your hand and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.crocblades.com/store/cata...roduct=882SBTG

Yep. Day late and a dollar short. :)
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 July 2007, 17:19
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

I owned a couple of the original Buck Strider tantos and one of the spear points. Very solid knives. I used one while I was a deputy, continuing it into my career as a diesel mechanic. I used the knife during a search warrant on a camp trailer to break a lock. I had to actually kick the handle of the knife. It broke the camper lock but did not harm the knife at all. Just some scratches.

Then later, as a mechanic, I scraped gaskets, cut rubber hoses, etc. Finally broke the tip off trying to budge a slack adjuster that was rusted to an S-cam.

I gave that knife after grinding a new tip onto it to a friend. Then bought a new one. Someone ran off with it though. I will buy another one soon, however.

Great knives, very strong. Well worth the money.
Old 7 July 2007, 17:48
Been There, Done That

My every day carry knife is a Emerson 'Super' CQC7 with 'wave action' and tanto point. It's big and is faster opening then a most of the auto knives on opening, once you know how to work it.

I don't recommend using any good knife for prying open locks or as a pry bar, etc.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Last edited by Trip_Wire; 7 July 2007 at 17:53.

Our new posting rules