SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 October 2009, 17:36
Been There Done That

1. What you voted for in the poll;

One percent or less. The 40% figure is insane in an urban area. The rural parts of the country might have a month worth of food ready and access to well water.

2. You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like;

Good but needs improvement, more fuel caches and prepardeness drills.

3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic;

The number of people you asked (ask as many as you like).

Four, relativley normal people (I dont actually know that many) Surprissingly I know plenty of people who should be prepared for this (food, water, power medicine) but all they have is fighting gear and tools. They should be okay if zombies start any trouble, or if a harley needs to be rebuilt but probably only have a few days worth of food, liquor and water.

I

Last edited by IrishSoldier; 10 October 2009 at 17:44.
Old 10 October 2009, 17:56
Been There Done That

1.What you voted for in the poll.

20-30-% for the members of my family that I talked to.

2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like

I have a month's supply of water - bottled and 13,000 gallons in my swimming pool, complete with chemicals to make it safe to drink. Anyone who has a pool has a long term supply that is relatively safe and is right outside your door. Don't forget local pools for outside sources- drain them first if possible. I have 10 5 gallon collasible water containers that 'inflate as they fill- easy to carry empty in a ruck.

2 months supply canned goods- the commissary just had a case lot sale and I stocked up to this level. Conducted a recon of the neaest Dollar General store (closest store to the house)- easy to break and enter into.

Meat frozen and 'canned' like salmon- I bought a canning machine in Alaska and use it to store jerky in for 'long term' storage.

Weapons - rifles, pistols, and shotguns with a double basic load both at house and other locations more ammo else where.

50 gals of fuel for chainsaws, converting generator to propane.

Propane grill, turkey fryer, coleman stove with 25 gallons of fuel, whisperlite stove, etc...

Electicity converters for all vehicles- to charge rechargeable tools- drill, saw, flashlights and to power transister radios.

My brothers down in FL hunt and fish and so do their kids. Plenty of meat jerked and frozen there- tey both have generators and the older of the two is a gas/diesel mechanic than make the flintstone mobile a hot rod

3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic

They're on crack- my sister doesn't think this will ever happenand there thinks we're crackpots. I don't think she would last a week unless she had just gone to the grocery store...think grasshopper and ant...

4.The number of people you asked (ask as many as you like).

Old 10 October 2009, 18:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Btw, in this doomsday scenario, where are all the inmates? Still locked up, or jailbroke?
Complete collapse of infrastructure? Inmates completely forgotten and cooped up with zero subsistence? Two words:

CANNIBAL FEAST !!!
Old 10 October 2009, 18:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

My biggest fear for country folk is not their ability to survive, but their ability to decide when to repel boarders from the city. Many people in the City live there because they believe they deserve entitlements (I know B5R, not all of them but enough to make a difference). They will come to the country in search of them if the disaster is bad enough. (We live near the New Madrid Fault). Most of my neighbors would take in as many people as they could (Provided they mind their P and Q's) but at some point, you would have to deny people refuge. I encourage them to decide what that number is and the lengths they will go to to repell newcomers.
In this vein a common theme that is brought up is the notion by those that donít prepare, that somehow all they have to do is head to a friendís house who is squared away. My thought is thatís a good way to get shot. Others I have talked to feel the same way. I have told a few folks that if they showed up with supplies then they would be welcome, but that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
Don't forget a couple other things people will *kill* you for, if necessary...even if not. Once they are without for a while it will get seriously ugly out there.

Disaster always brings out the worst in people.
New Orleans showed this on a small scale. I think one week into a major collapse all your major cities that now have nothing would be total chaos.
Old 10 October 2009, 18:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
I have a couple hundred lbs of green beans laying around at all times. That's my survival plan: trade awesome fresh roasted coffee for whatever I need. can you imagine, los angeles is burning, rioting spread across the us, but I'm slinging world class espresso from the rubble?

Would be shades of Vienna
Old 10 October 2009, 19:28
Just me & my Jeep...

Ok, quick question (don't mean to hijack: it's relevant)If you could pick ONE food to stockpile, which would it be? Say you have access to ONE single thing: all the beans you want...or all the rice. Or all the ramen noodles...which food would you pick? Anyone...?
Old 10 October 2009, 19:33
Clan Stiýbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
Ok, quick question (don't mean to hijack: it's relevant)If you could pick ONE food to stockpile, which would it be? Say you have access to ONE single thing: all the beans you want...or all the rice. Or all the ramen noodles...which food would you pick? Anyone...?
RICE, hands down. You can find other stuff in the wild to put into it or go along with it. Whatever meat you kill and roast can be added to give it some flavor too... Squirrel, Rabbit, Ground hog, even Rat & mice... if it has flesh.. its usually edible. Besides, you can also pound the rice out to make flour. It has tremendous nutritional value to keep you going. Add whatever else you can throw in a pot you will survive very well.
Old 10 October 2009, 19:33
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
I have a couple hundred lbs of green beans laying around at all times. That's my survival plan: trade awesome fresh roasted coffee for whatever I need. can you imagine, los angeles is burning, rioting spread across the us, but I'm slinging world class espresso from the rubble?

Is it feasible to have a small home-roaster? How do they work? Where/how does one acquire the skillset needed to roast coffee? These things could be good to know...Either that, or you'll have to figure out how to keep me supplied with coffee in a post-apocalyptic world. Without coffee, I'd likely just contribute to the chaos and violence.

While true:
Continue
Old 10 October 2009, 19:53

Kirk, Just so you dont think I'm bullshitting you, here is a picture of what my hunting kit I take out whenever I go hunting. Unless I'm hunting the woods (100+ acres) behind my house. I'm MUCH more prepared than this at home... you could call this a "Go Bag" I guess.

I look at it this way.. if I'm out in the woods with a gun, other people are too, stuff happens. What If I get lost and end up spending the night in the woods? What If I find someone who's been accidentally shot or hurt seriously falling down a ravine (lots of those here)? I HATE not being prepared. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy.. but what IF? She was happy that I was like this when the hurricanes hit South Florida before we moved. We were fine, others had no power or food or water.

My Kit consists of: 2 - 27 mile Cobra walkie talkies (always fully charged). Cell phone, 40 channel CB radio (with 100watt mobile linear and power mike) in my truck. Two thermal blankets, a folding poncho, ALOT of medical supplies.... Fireworks (12 bottle rockets & 2 packs of firecrackers) This helps people locate me if I'm lost without having to use my precious ammunition (I also have a case full of fireworks at home too). High carbon steel hunting knife, Mag-Flashlight with extra rechargeable batteries, extra bulbs, hand warmers, steel whistle, long leather laces, extra bullets, water bottle, lighter and magnesium fire starter (in case stuff is wet) in case I have to hunker down for the night. Sounds and looks like alot, but its not heavy or cumbersome at all.

Earlier I said that I use to sell knives and swords. Here's just SOME of what I had handy to take a picture of. It ALWAYS better to have more than what you need! The swords are great for close self defense and for utility work too. If someone pulled a little bitty 12 inch hunting knife on me - I'd pull out a razor sharp sword. I can easily sling the scabbard with TWO swords strapped across my back. They wouldnt fare very well against them... or I could pull out that huge honkin 16" survival knife (pictured next to swords)...Little secret ~ The Ninja swords... Even you guys can buy the two sword set for about $12.00, some of the leather handle and bone (real bone) knives only run about $2.00 each. I can give ya'll the link to one of my suppliers.. just PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunting Kit2.jpg (48.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg knives & swords2.jpg (61.8 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Ready to Go.jpg (28.9 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by OldSwabbie; 10 October 2009 at 20:01.
Old 10 October 2009, 21:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
RICE, hands down. You can find other stuff in the wild to put into it or go along with it. Whatever meat you kill and roast can be added to give it some flavor too... Squirrel, Rabbit, Ground hog, even Rat & mice... if it has flesh.. its usually edible. Besides, you can also pound the rice out to make flour. It has tremendous nutritional value to keep you going. Add whatever else you can throw in a pot you will survive very well.
Rice is definitely more versatile, but I gotta say, nothing beats beans nutritional profile. It's far better than any grain, outside rare funky ones like teff or quinoa. Beans have way more protein, carbs, fats, minerals, vitamins, fiber, antioxidants than most anything else, and they keep forever. Of course bean bread will taste like crap, and if you'r eliving in a cave the gas will kill you long before malnutrition.

I say both rice and beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsquid View Post
Is it feasible to have a small home-roaster? How do they work? Where/how does one acquire the skillset needed to roast coffee? These things could be good to know...Either that, or you'll have to figure out how to keep me supplied with coffee in a post-apocalyptic world. Without coffee, I'd likely just contribute to the chaos and violence.
Dude, you can roast coffee in a skillet, in a steel dog bowl with a heat gun, in a popcorn popper...the skillet is the original way used in the birthplace of coffee, Ethiopia. Just use low heat, stir constantly, and wait til the second phase of cracks or snaps starts. It's not going to taste as good as pro roasted stuff, but with a little practice it would be better than tasters choice or old stale beans.

Green beans keep indefinately when frozen. Unfrozen, you're good for 6-12 months before flavore changes become drastic.
Old 10 October 2009, 21:37
Confirmed User

And I was just thinking "this thread needs more katanas", and whoop, whatdoyouknow, there they are.

Old 10 October 2009, 21:38
Confirmed User

Most folks here in urban SoCal barely survive a holiday weekend with the stores closed one day. Fewer than 1% of the people around here would survive much longer than 3 months without serious help, let alone 18 months.

I'm involved with the local emergency preparedness organization, mostly ham operators. Some of these people have 72 hour kits, go-packs, etc, but virtually nobody else has the slightest idea what you are talking about when the topic is mentioned.

We are hemmed in by the ocean on one side, and unfavorable terrain on the east. It is 30 miles to open country, almost all uphill. It's hard to imagine how very many could leave in a hurry, or where they would go. Few are fit enough to do much other than drive, even in excellent weather. Most people would run their tanks dry sitting in the long parking lots that freeways become even on normal days if one upset occurs, let alone a major disruption.

At least we have a boat and can leave by sea. The boat has an adequate generator, fresh water maker, communications and 400 gallons of diesel. Of course, I don't know where we would go, but that would depend on what the problem is, I suppose. A lot would depend on weather as well for that to work out.

My kids and grandkids would be in real trouble though, and I couldn't leave like that. Very troubling to think about, isn't it!
Old 10 October 2009, 21:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
And I was just thinking "this thread needs more katanas", and whoop, whatdoyouknow, there they are.

Those aren't Katanas! Geez.. Let's see how long you're going to survive the zombie apocalypse swinging a ninja sword like a samurai sword...
Old 10 October 2009, 21:50
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Dude, you can roast coffee in a skillet, in a steel dog bowl with a heat gun, in a popcorn popper...the skillet is the original way used in the birthplace of coffee, Ethiopia. Just use low heat, stir constantly, and wait til the second phase of cracks or snaps starts. It's not going to taste as good as pro roasted stuff, but with a little practice it would be better than tasters choice or old stale beans.

Green beans keep indefinately when frozen. Unfrozen, you're good for 6-12 months before flavore changes become drastic.

Sweet! Now that you mention it, I remember having coffee in Harar, and they actually brought the skillet out to roast the coffee in front of you, then each person at the table sampled a bean. Good stuff.

As for green beans, I know a store here that sells green coffee beans, but I have no idea what kind...any recommendation for a good source? I think I'm going to have to perfect this skill. I like the idea of having coffee even after the fall of civilization.

While true:
Continue
Old 10 October 2009, 22:41
Martian for Pax Romana

I voted thirty percent. America has always had a spirit of ingenuity. As a nation, we have provided the greatest technologies that the known world has ever received. No other nation can even stand in close comparison. We have been innovators. We innovated Democratic principles and fused them with a new science of politics. We were instrumental in electricity, cooling, energy advancement, automobile development, assembly line production, aeronautical engineering, biochemistry, the human genome, weapons manufacturing, nuclear fission, and a whole host of other such things.

The American nation may sometimes look apathetic, but it is very rapid to adapt. Adaptation is in our culture. Think internet, telephone, cell phone, etc. We can even suggest that other innovations from other cultures find the right market in America. Therefore, I highly doubt that any near catastrophe will cripple such a great society. We were the lesser enemy in WWII, but we became the greatest after we were attacked.

That was following a most terrible Depression. Non of that Great Spirit has died. It just underlies some of our worst cultural manifestations, but tragic events will continue to reawaken our latent energies.

The terrorist attack on 9/11 was a grave misjudgment of the America character. They thought that they would hurt us, but we have subsequently divided the lands of terrorists, and we are now in a better strategic position than before. I imagine that if the terrorists knew the consequences, they would never have attacked in the first place.
Old 10 October 2009, 22:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Those aren't Katanas! Geez.. Let's see how long you're going to survive the zombie apocalypse swinging a ninja sword like a samurai sword...
I'd swing em both like a claymore, it's the scot in me. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsquid View Post
Sweet! Now that you mention it, I remember having coffee in Harar, and they actually brought the skillet out to roast the coffee in front of you, then each person at the table sampled a bean. Good stuff.

As for green beans, I know a store here that sells green coffee beans, but I have no idea what kind...any recommendation for a good source? I think I'm going to have to perfect this skill. I like the idea of having coffee even after the fall of civilization.
1) you got to drink coffee in ethiopia, I am jealous.

2) lots of places to buy green, including from me. I will send you a pm about roasting and beans soon.
Old 10 October 2009, 22:56
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
how many of our wives would be willing and/or able to go back to beating laundry on a rock, or cooking every meal, cleaning wild game,
One of the advantages of having a wife who is a farm girl from a nation like Thailand. She grew up washing laundry in a tub (no need to beat it on a rock, there are better ways), butchering chickens and pigs (not much game in Thailand unless you like roasted insects) and cooking every meal. She also knows how to raise those animals, to farm rice, to care for an assortment of fruit trees (including knowing what to do with a banana tree after collecting the fruit), and collect rainwater. The farms still have outhouses, so there is no need for running water or electricity.
Old 10 October 2009, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
By the time I got done putting all the shit I plan to have on me.. ON ME.. I'd probably fall over sideways because I couldnt move much less swing a sword

All this talk about coffee beans have me moving that up on my list of "must have" stuff.
Old 10 October 2009, 23:32
Been There Done That

20-30%

Many weapons...many bullets. Safe room in basement. 3-4 month food supply plus a huge garden, season dependent and lots of game in area. 45,000 gallons of clorinated water in the pool in the back yard. My Jeep that I upgraded to electronic ignition, can replace with the old (EMP not effected) points and condenser distributer in 15 minutes up and running. 4 X 18-20 gallon tanks full of good gas (in the Vettes) and 5-10 gals of lawn machine gas.....enough tanks to carry 25 Gal on the Jeep externally and upgraded the Jeep tank from factory 14 to 23 Gallons. Enough field gear in rucks to live in the field forever, with lots of Arctic gear from Alaska. Many options of places to go and range/fuel to get to them. Only me to worry about now so can travel fast and light

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here

Last edited by Ranger Manges; 10 October 2009 at 23:35.
Old 10 October 2009, 23:51
Authorized Personnel

1. < 1%
2. I have a gun or two. I have ammo. I have radios to communicate with my friends. With the firearms and ammo I have, and the friends I have, we would take what we need. Unless we run into a squad + we would take what we need. There will be enough squad(-)ís that we will get what we need without taking on the squad (+) groups. I wouldn't need to take anybody else's stuff, but if need be we could.

I have enough canned goods and dry goods for 2 months, then we are on MRE's for 2 more. The dogs would be eating scraps pretty quickly. Water aplenty, purifier, stoves both propane and white gas and a single burner multi fuel that burns everything to include diesel. Camping and cold weather gear galore. Hand tools and power tools. Reloading presses for all my firearm calibers, the ones I don't have dies for I have plenty of ammo for. I have enough supplies to load 10K more cartridges.

I would never trade a firearm or ammunition, why give weapons to a (potential) enemy.

3. Total BS.
4. Iíve discussed it with about 15 folks, either friends or family.

Our new posting rules