SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 29 October 2018, 09:05
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Yeah, that was embarrassing. I still regret not going to Tony's disguise class when I had the chance though. He probably cried when he saw that wig.

Did you miss the part about me saying "that same time frame"? I'm talking 1970's-1980's Moscow Rules time frame.
It would still be pretty embarrassing.

Quote:
In the mid-1970s, Congressional oversight of the CIA increased, and headquarters scrutiny of CIA stations increased as well. This was especially so in Moscow, where a possible leak had been discovered. As a result, years elapsed during which the Moscow station was essentially shut down. When activities resumed, the station and case officers were tightly managed from Washington, D.C. Good leads were sometimes turned away for fear of being a Soviet plot. As Hoffman wrote, “Running a spy was undertaken with the concentration and attention to detail of a moon shot.”
Emphasis mine.

Quote:
As recounted by The Billion Dollar Spy, one CIA officer new to the Soviet station was amused to sometimes reach for his coat only to find it had vanished. (Later, it would mysteriously return, now likely bugged by the KGB.) His apartment was bugged and his lines were tapped. Once, he used an unsecure line to set up dinner at a restaurant with friends. While driving to the restaurant, he figured out that the cars behind him and in front of him were KGB surveillance. At some point in the drive, he and his wife got lost, so they decided to just follow the KGB to see what would happen. The KGB took him straight to the restaurant.
From: http://mentalfloss.com/article/64872/11-things-you-didnt-know-about-cia-operations-soviet-union

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 29 October 2018, 14:35
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
I would love to see them flip the coin and do a show about our people in Moscow in that same time frame.
I'd like to see them do a show about the development of Acoustic Kitty.

It would be a comedy, of course.
Old 30 October 2018, 08:02
Confirmed User

All these posts remind me of the Nelson Demille novel, Charm School ...If I remember correctly, it describes a Soviet espionage school where Soviet spies learn to act like Americans and blend into American society.

I remember the contrast of the Soviets trying to act American while still in a more strictly structured Soviet society....

If I have the right novel, that needs to be a good movie or series...... Off to work on my Netflix pitch for a 6 part series...
Old 30 October 2018, 10:54
Policeman Officer

Great book.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 30 October 2018, 11:59
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Like the kid from Colgate who got rolled up at a wireless dead drop, had his weave stolen and cried on tv?

Hard pass. Thanks.
I remember one of my instructors from over there, when asked about it (I was going through a course when it happened), saying "I don't know if that shit was planted on him after arrest to make us look like idiots, but I sure hope it was, because we sure as shit never taught anyone to do that at the course."

I really hope the FSB put all of that (money, knife, compass, maps, wig, etc.) on him, as it looked like a bag filled with what a 20 year old who reads spy books thinks a spy should have.
Old 30 October 2018, 12:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Like the kid from Colgate who got rolled up at a wireless dead drop, had his weave stolen and cried on tv?

Hard pass. Thanks.
Ok, I have to ask, what happened?
Old 30 October 2018, 15:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Ok, I have to ask, what happened?
https://newrepublic.com/article/113216/ryan-fogle-cia-spy-arrested-goofy-blond-wig
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 30 October 2018, 17:20
A Texan in exile

Quote:
I would love to see them flip the coin and do a show about our people in Moscow in that same time frame.
Yup, Marti P and folks like her. That would be very cool
Old 30 October 2018, 17:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
https://newrepublic.com/article/113216/ryan-fogle-cia-spy-arrested-goofy-blond-wig
Um, wow...lol

Our new posting rules