Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 22 November 2010, 18:23
Been There Done That

Masters Program for Active Duty SOF members

SB APPROVED

The following is an article being circulated within ARSOF. I spoke with program director and he has asked that this information get widest dissemination. All active duty SOF (all branches) are eligible as long as you meet the prereqs stated in the information article. Any questions PM me and I can assist or point you in the right direction. -KW3

The United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School has agreed to continue its partnership with the National Defense University, College of International Security Affairs (CISA) Fort Bragg for 2011-2012 academic year. The USAJFKSWCS has partnered with the National Defense University (NDU) to offer a fully accredited Master of Arts Degree program at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The Masters of Arts Degree program mirrors the Master of Arts in Strategic Security Studies (MASSS) degree offered by NDU’s College of International Security Affairs to students enrolled in the 10-month full time program from US departments and agencies, congressional staffs, and military and civilian representatives of the international community who operate in the Washington DC area. The MASSS curriculum offers a strategic perspective on the global threat environment, the rise of newly empowered and politicized ideological movements, the relationship between political objectives, strategy, all instruments of national power, and the roles of power and ideology. Through seminar participation, independent study, and the research and writing of a thesis, students develop strategies for working with other agencies, with the United States, and with members of the international coalition. Through a combination of theoretical and practical learning, the program prepares professionals to develop and implement national and international security strategies for conditions of peace, crisis, and war.

Students who complete the MASSS degree should be able to meet the following Learning Objectives:

(1) Analyze the 21st century geopolitical environment characterized by the rise of non-state armed groups and the uneven erosion of state sovereignty;
(2) Evaluate the roles of power and ideology, the rise of newly empowered and politicized ideological movements, and the bases for authority and legitimacy;
(3) Understand the relationship between political objectives, strategy, and all instruments of national power;
(4) Develop skills to think critically and strategically, to differentiate between policy and analysis, and to apply knowledge to practice in collaborative and complex circumstances with diverse partners.

The joint USAJFKSWCS/NDU Masters Program is open to all Special Operations branches and all enlisted, warrant and commissioned officers with a Bachelors Degree from a regionally accredited institution. The Directorate of Regional Studies and Education at SWCS is the point of contact for selection and accession for the Masters Program. For more information call 910-432-4607. Applicants must be Active Duty; Officers - Captains to Major (promotable), Warrant Officers - CW3 – CW4, NCOs - SFC – SGM. NCOs must not have more than 22 years of active federal service as of report date to National Defense University. Applicants should send copies of the ORB/ERB, last 3 Evaluation Reports, the NDU Application (available at http://www.ndu.edu/cisa/index.cfm?se...2&type=section) , complete college transcripts, and a Statement of Purpose – Minimum of 250 words not to exceed 500 words, and a Letter of Release signed by the 1st O-6 in the chain of command. Applications are being accepted now through 4 March 2011.

The National Defense University is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 16 March 2011, 04:40

Has anyone attended this program yet? I would like to know the specifics of the course and if it is demanded as they say.
Old 16 March 2011, 06:57
Making sure They Come Home

Double post

Last edited by ussfpa; 16 March 2011 at 07:00.
Old 16 March 2011, 07:00
Making sure They Come Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumagod00 View Post
Has anyone attended this program yet? I would like to know the specifics of the course and if it is demanded as they say.
Hey there "Operator" - stickys / intro / silly details.
We police our own here.

Send your bona fides to Magician for vetting.

PA
Old 16 March 2011, 07:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Pilot class still in session. Applications for next class is ongoing, packets are being reviewed now. I heard interest level is high. Program has been briefed to brass at Bragg, FL, and DC with full support from them.

I am not in the program, I have 2 Soldiers that are. Demanding???, they say yes. Define 'demanding'???? SF guys with focus and goal don't let 'demands' from them kicking some ass in a course.

Contact the number if you're interested. PM me and I can get a link up set up with one of my Soldiers but follow USSFPA's instructions before proceeding with a PM. I'll coordinate link up if you are serious. I don't want to bother them when they can be studying/researching.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 18 March 2011, 03:51

I am very interested, in fact I am looking to attend Class three.
Old 18 March 2011, 03:53

I am not sure what you need, I am new to this messaging.
Old 18 March 2011, 07:00
The Sagacious One

Quote:
I am not sure what you need, I am new to this messaging.
You are an "operator" that wants to get an advanced degree..... Hmm

OK, reread the email you received to join SOCNET and there are some pretty clear instructions on how to post your introduction. You can PM me if you need more help.

Welcome to SOCNET.
Old 18 March 2011, 12:41
Whatever Sucks the Most

Before you do anything else, remove the term "Operator" from your profile. Unless you are a graduate of a specific course, you are not entitled to use that term on this site.

The culture and climate of this site may strike you as inhospitable.

We are not for everybody.
Old 18 March 2011, 13:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Before you do anything else, remove the term "Operator" from your profile.

I removed it for him.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 18 March 2011, 13:24
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I removed it (Operator) for him.
In a world where that term is thrown around like a wet towel. Thank you, Sharky, for holding the standard.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.
Old 7 August 2015, 12:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Pilot class still in session. Applications for next class is ongoing, packets are being reviewed now. I heard interest level is high. Program has been briefed to brass at Bragg, FL, and DC with full support from them.

I am not in the program, I have 2 Soldiers that are. Demanding???, they say yes. Define 'demanding'???? SF guys with focus and goal don't let 'demands' from them kicking some ass in a course.

Contact the number if you're interested. PM me and I can get a link up set up with one of my Soldiers but follow USSFPA's instructions before proceeding with a PM. I'll coordinate link up if you are serious. I don't want to bother them when they can be studying/researching.
Anyone interested in the NDU program I am starting this Monday. If you need any particulars and details PM me and I can point you in the right direction with specific individuals at SWEG to speak to. Interest is HIGH and they are constantly looking for highly motivated and qualified individuals.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 7 August 2015, 12:49
Been There Done That

Now that it is 2015 can this guy put "Operator" back in his profile? ARSOF 2022 y'all.
22 Aug 17

Our new posting rules