Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 23 May 2011, 21:11
Been There Done That

Judging by some of the jobs I have worked he'll probably be my next Project Manager.

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 23 May 2011, 21:25
Been There Done That

The dude man no longer abides...

Poor soul...You were just too high-strung...
Old 24 May 2011, 03:17
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Tibbs View Post
Judging by some of the jobs I have worked he'll probably be my next Project Manager.
Are you sure we never shared a PM somewhere?

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 24 May 2011, 17:18
Confirmed User

This is some really good information. Thx for everyone throwing there .02 in for the noobs on the board.

What are people's views on future psd work with the eventual slow down of Afghanistan and current withdrawals in Iraq. I don't want to do EOD work forever, I'm intrigued by the prospects of an opportunity to take a PSS job vice an EOD job. Ya the PSS job offers like 2/3 salary of an Eod job but I think I'd enjoy it even more and broaden my horizons. Don't get me wrong I live for EOD but it's not the same as a civy I won't be patrolling and manually rendering safe ied's.

My biggest worry with passing on the PSS job now is that maybe in a year when my EOD job is over it won't be as easy to get into a good PSS job

What are y'alls take on that subject. Remember I'm a total noob to the up coming civilian life and new to this community.
Old 27 May 2011, 14:12

Hello all,

I'm new to the IC world. I'm on here because I seek information on becoming an operator doing security work. I've searched the site and have found a little bit of information but not enough for me to understand. Here's a little bit about me, I was a Marine Corporal part of 1st Battalion 5th Marines, served 4 years as an 0341 (Mortarman) assigned to a Weapons Co., fought during the initial invasion in OIF 1, did combat operations in Fallujah during OIF 2. I have done SERE(Level A), MOUT, T.R.A.P, and Combat Aidsman training. Honorably discharged in April 2006. I currently do Information Technology for Los Angeles County as a supervisor.

Here are my questions:
Does having a long gap of unrelated experience a disqualifier?
Do I need to take any training courses prior to applying?
Do I supply my own gear?
What are my chances without a security clearance?
Old 27 May 2011, 14:26

I understand I misused the word operator in this case, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3allen View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the IC world. I'm on here because I seek information on becoming an operator doing security work. I've searched the site and have found a little bit of information but not enough for me to understand. Here's a little bit about me, I was a Marine Corporal part of 1st Battalion 5th Marines, served 4 years as an 0341 (Mortarman) assigned to a Weapons Co., fought during the initial invasion in OIF 1, did combat operations in Fallujah during OIF 2. I have done SERE(Level A), MOUT, T.R.A.P, and Combat Aidsman training. Honorably discharged in April 2006. I currently do Information Technology for Los Angeles County as a supervisor.

Here are my questions:
Do I supply my own gear?
Old 27 May 2011, 23:22
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3allen View Post
Hello all,

I've searched the site and have found a little bit of information but not enough for me to understand. ...............
Here are my questions:
Do I supply my own gear?

This is hard to believe. All of these questions can be answered for you on this site. Do some more research, a lot of it, then apply to a job that you may be interested in.
TO answer your questions, in short...

No
Probably
Depends
Depends.

Good Luck.
Old 10 July 2011, 08:22

I'm new on this site... I'll be retiring from the US Navy soon. I'm single, no kids (don't know how I lucked out there :)))

Previously I worked at Mobile Security (during pre-com, did not deploy), then spent 2 years 8 months in Bahrain where I was a Tactical Supervisor for Embarked Security Teams for most of my time there. After that I was stationed in Japan for 3 years doing basic AT/FP and LE. My last command is the FP Department at the sub-base in San Diego, but I've been away the last year. Just completing a tour in Afghanistan and will be back in San Diego (hopefully if the flight isnt cancelled ) tomorrow night.

I've been told by a couple different people in the business I met in Afghanistan, that I have enough experience to find work overseas with no problems. What is the feeling of the guys here?

I was looking into getting some additional training at US Training Center. Tactical Pistol, Carbine Operator, and High Risk Security Operations. 22 days of training all together. Good idea? I've read that people can often get that training provided if they can get hired with the right contract.

My real question is about age. I'm going to be 53 next month. I've looked at some of the various PT standards and don't feel I would have any problem passing them. People I spoke with in Afghanistan, some of whom were in my age group, didn't seem to think it would be a problem. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 10 July 2011, 18:00
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN MA1 View Post
I'm new on this site... I'll be retiring from the US Navy soon. I'm single, no kids (don't know how I lucked out there :)))

Previously I worked at Mobile Security (during pre-com, did not deploy), then spent 2 years 8 months in Bahrain where I was a Tactical Supervisor for Embarked Security Teams for most of my time there. After that I was stationed in Japan for 3 years doing basic AT/FP and LE. My last command is the FP Department at the sub-base in San Diego, but I've been away the last year. Just completing a tour in Afghanistan and will be back in San Diego (hopefully if the flight isnt cancelled ) tomorrow night.

I've been told by a couple different people in the business I met in Afghanistan, that I have enough experience to find work overseas with no problems. What is the feeling of the guys here?

I was looking into getting some additional training at US Training Center. Tactical Pistol, Carbine Operator, and High Risk Security Operations. 22 days of training all together. Good idea? I've read that people can often get that training provided if they can get hired with the right contract.

My real question is about age. I'm going to be 53 next month. I've looked at some of the various PT standards and don't feel I would have any problem passing them. People I spoke with in Afghanistan, some of whom were in my age group, didn't seem to think it would be a problem. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
We don't know you, only what you've posted here and in your profile. Not enough to make an objective assessment of any aspect of your qualifications. Job descriptions are usually very clear about qualifications so use that as a guide.

Training is always a good idea so long as it is pertinent, accredited or recognized, and doesn't put you into financial obligations you can't shoulder.

Age isn't a terrible issue as long as you don't have issues. Some 50 year olds are in better shape than some 20 year olds I know.
Old 17 July 2011, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
We don't know you, only what you've posted here and in your profile. Not enough to make an objective assessment of any aspect of your qualifications. Job descriptions are usually very clear about qualifications so use that as a guide.

Training is always a good idea so long as it is pertinent, accredited or recognized, and doesn't put you into financial obligations you can't shoulder.

Age isn't a terrible issue as long as you don't have issues. Some 50 year olds are in better shape than some 20 year olds I know.
Of course that's true. I'm sure whatever job I'm hired for that there will be an evaluation process during training. I've been reading job descriptions and feel I won't have any problem qualifying for any of the FP positions. It seems that reputation is important in this business. Given that, I wouldn't apply for something I didn't believe I was qualified for. No way that would not come out and that would just be a waste of everyones time!

I just got back from deployment and already heard about someone who "inflated" their resume for a technical position. They washed out of training. Not something I want to do.

Good to hear confirmation that age won't be a major issue. I understand the importance of fitness especially in jobs like these so I don't see that part as an issue.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it!
Old 29 July 2011, 14:34

Hi I'm new on this site and learning somthing new every time i logon so please dont rip into me if i post this question in the worng place.

Has anyone ever heard of the CP company Clearwater? its a UK company that employs and trains you. I have searched the name but the searches dont come up with the company that i am thinking of. There website www.clearwaterprojects.com

If anyone has any info on this company your response would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29 July 2011, 14:55
Violent Social Worker

Employs then trains, or charges you for training with the promise to employ you later? Big difference. Just wondering.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 30 July 2011, 17:25
Been There Done That

Hey all...been awhile since I've seen this thread....as in 2005....

Post #8 isn't all that updated anymore.

Do your research to look for a good company. Lotso folks here on the board can give you way more valuable/current info than I can.

~D-6606~
Old 31 July 2011, 10:51

howdy folks,
i will be retiring one year from today, and have a few questions for the experienced guys out there. i am currently in afghanistan and trying to start the networking process. i believe my skillsets include a good background for FP, does anyone know what companys have a good hold on those type of contracts that are needing anyone a year out, or should i wait till i am about six months from when i will be free and available? Also, i have spent my entire career in the Infantry, been an NCO since 96, graduated Ranger shcool in 96 as well, i have served in every leadership roll there is for the infantry, through platoon level, to include time served in scouts and LRS. i feel that i have more of leadership and management skills that would prevail with FP rather than WPS. But i would enjoy being a leader in WPS. Planning and assessing is something i have always enjoyed and am damn good at it. what do you guys think about which avenue to persue? thanks ahead of time for any info and advice!!!
Old 31 July 2011, 12:44
In Vino Veritas

I know for a fact this topic has been covered here a few times. But in a nutshell, no one is going to talk to you a year out. Most guys have to wait until they are in the later stages of ACAPing (like a month or two out). That's what I read here anyway.

I'm not busting your balls but are you expecting to leave AD and as your first job be a "leader in WPS"? I'm just curious. I don't know if that happens or not and would actually like to know more about it, hopefully someone can chime in. I'm sure this happens to E-8/9's from SOF units but don't know about other people.

In my personal experience people that state they would make good leaders or that they want to lead people are usually A. not very good at it or B. no one wants to follow them. Just my experience from someone that is happy to be an Indian.
Old 31 July 2011, 14:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink View Post

I'm not busting your balls but are you expecting to leave AD and as your first job be a "leader in WPS"? I'm just curious. I don't know if that happens or not and would actually like to know more about it, hopefully someone can chime in. I'm sure this happens to E-8/9's from SOF units but don't know about other people.

In my personal experience people that state they would make good leaders or that they want to lead people are usually A. not very good at it or B. no one wants to follow them. Just my experience from someone that is happy to be an Indian.
Nothing like calling it like you see it Snaplink. That is why this site is awesome. WPPS/WPS has been going on for quite some time now. There is alot of experience on the ground. It is highly unlikely that someone is going to come in from the outside and be "the answer". Especially if they are an E8/E9. What to you call an E8/E9 in WPS? Dude, well, or window licker...experience on the program counts, not time in service. Luckily, that is stipulated in the SOW.

In my experience, PSD contracting is not necessarily a great first job for senior enlisted whether SOF or not. Think about it, for the most part a senior SF guy has had maybe one or two guys under him for a while or, if he is a team sergeant maybe ten, not including indig. SEAL types, not much better. Not necessarily a recipe for leader guy of the month. Rangers and Marines generally have more experience with taking care of more people. Often they still need time to wind down from the mil. Some can make it, but others burn in, or burn out because of the differences primarily they are learning to fit into the culture when they are used to making sure others meet the culture and standards.

Just my two pennies based on having experienced it. Regardless though, good luck.
Old 31 July 2011, 15:32
Confirmed User

In WPS, you have to have had leadership experience prior to. You can be on the WPS program for years and if no prior leadership experience it is very possible you can never move up.

Winston Churchill
Old 5 August 2011, 06:33
Confirmed User

Lots of great information here gents. I would like to add a couple of pointers on how to succeed in the FP/Static side of the house.

You are being evaluated from the moment you are BoG (Boots on Ground). Please heed the advice above and know that this is a small community and the PMs/CMs talk. If you come in to a static contract acting as if you're the end all of security contractors, you will not make a good impression. Just absorb as much as you possibly can and get to work. Work ethic and trustworthiness is rewarded above all else in my experience and best of all they speak for themselves. No boasting required.

Do what is asked of you. Meet your deliverables, show up on time and above all remain professional. You don't have to come in and light the world on fire with your "great ideas". Just do the job and stick to sharpening the FP fundamentals of your assigned venue/AO.

Don't complain. Bring up issues in a professional manner, but make the effort to show some initiative and provide a solution. Due to the competitiveness of the industry, many contracts have limited resources and everyone needs to chip in to make things work.

Remember, companies like to hire internally for higher positions if possible. If you are a highly qualified individual but couldn't get into the PSD world, being personally vouched for by your leadership will go along way to meeting that goal. When emergent openings occur or a big contract is awarded; company leadership will want a solid person or core of experienced personnel personally vouched for by their management team(s). Highly qualified static guys/gals with a solid work ethic are the 1st to go. Mainly because they are the cheapest to replace. Remember, your manager is putting his/her name on the line recommending you. Leave no doubt that you will not tarnish their reputation by vouching for you.

I'll trot back off into the sunset. I just wanted to share some of my experience to hopefully repay a small amount of the bandwidth that I have used while perusing this great site.
Old 20 August 2011, 18:58

Civilian Paramedic Questions

Ive been a Paramedic for over ten years and would like to go in a differnt direction now overseas and remote medic would fit well I think , not sure if I would fit in though ive no military backround
is it possible to get a job as a paramedic/medic with the community served on this forum?
is there anything I can do training wise to be a better candidate
any advice would be appreciated or I should just turn my focus elsewhere
like offshore medic or flight medic medical rescue groups
thanks
Old 20 August 2011, 19:23
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic484 View Post
Ive been a Paramedic for over ten years and would like to go in a differnt direction now overseas and remote medic would fit well I think , not sure if I would fit in though ive no military backround
is it possible to get a job as a paramedic/medic with the community served on this forum?
is there anything I can do training wise to be a better candidate
any advice would be appreciated or I should just turn my focus elsewhere
like offshore medic or flight medic medical rescue groups
thanks
A little late to the game. About 8 years ago when KBR was going nuts and hiring everyone, was the time to get in.

If you want to do remote medicine, there are threads here that contain that very info. How up to speed are your sewing skills, tropical medicine, occupational med. skills? Contact the usual suspects and see if they are hiring. I knew nothing about nothing when I got my first gig, and did it by filling out an application with resume then following up with a phone call. Remote medicine transcends the usual Paramedic skill set.

FYI, good spelling, grammar and punctuation helps when asking about jobs, career etc. Post like you are in a job interview.

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 20 August 2011 at 19:27.

Our new posting rules