Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 5 September 2013, 16:31
Morte et une dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
While the cartoon is meant to be funny, I believe some people don't realize just how true it is. I've done backgrounds on many people that looked extremely qualified on paper....until I did a little Internet searching on them.
Likewise.
Old 5 September 2013, 17:22
Been There Done That

Holy shit with the suits already. Have you guys never heard of Joseph A. Banks? Get good suits for way less than other places.

Biggest rule is just not to buy a $100 black suit and wear it with a black tie and a white shirt like you think you're in fucking Reservoir Dogs. That will get your application thrown into the "Nug" pile.
22 Aug 17
Old 5 September 2013, 18:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Holy shit with the suits already. Have you guys never heard of Joseph A. Banks? Get good suits for way less than other places.
They don't have horrible suits, but they need a tailor after you purchase it to fit it, and you'll spend the money you could have spent on a better suit getting it done.

The best suit in the world makes you look like Sad Sack if you don't have it tailored to fit you.

If you wear a suit off the rack that was made to generally fit everyone within a certain size and shape you are a nug. It's a suit, not a t-shirt.

90% of the guys I see wear suits like the dude on the left, esp dudes just out of the military looking for their first civilian gig:

And if you wear a suit with pleated pants that are cuffed at the bottom and tasseled loafers I may have to just beat you up.

Dress like you care about yourself, please, because people do notice.
Old 5 September 2013, 18:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I love Jos A Banks. I have 8 suits from there and most were bought under a special of Buy one get two free.

I interview a lot of people but some people still do not get it...put your best foot foward and make sure it is clean. I much rather have some one overdress than underdress. Clean and ironed is much better than dirty and wrinkled.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 5 September 2013, 20:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
They don't have horrible suits, but they need a tailor after you purchase it to fit it, and you'll spend the money you could have spent on a better suit getting it done.

The best suit in the world makes you look like Sad Sack if you don't have it tailored to fit you.

If you wear a suit off the rack that was made to generally fit everyone within a certain size and shape you are a nug. It's a suit, not a t-shirt.

90% of the guys I see wear suits like the dude on the left, esp dudes just out of the military looking for their first civilian gig:

And if you wear a suit with pleated pants that are cuffed at the bottom and tasseled loafers I may have to just beat you up.

Dress like you care about yourself, please, because people do notice.
They tailor every suit you buy from them for free.

A good suit or 3 is a must, but you needn't go overboard. Especially if your resume is awesome as, oh, I don't know... mine.
22 Aug 17
Old 5 September 2013, 21:59
Administrator

Get the thread back on track.
Old 20 June 2014, 15:11
Russian Tycoon

Screening resumes:

"Additionally, I am a U.S. Army intelligence operator with extensive training in human intelligence collection...

...Certified U.S. Army Intelligence Operator...

... In depth study and analysis of terrorist groups in the Middle East, Central Asia, and East Asia and study of how terrorist groups end (sic!)".

That's coming from someone who was in basic in January 2014 and completed HUMINT Collector Basic course at Huachuca this June.

Now back to my regularly scheduled operations...
Old 20 June 2014, 15:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Screening resumes:

"Additionally, I am a U.S. Army intelligence operator with extensive training in human intelligence collection...

...Certified U.S. Army Intelligence Operator...

... In depth study and analysis of terrorist groups in the Middle East, Central Asia, and East Asia and study of how terrorist groups end (sic!)".

That's coming from someone who was in basic in January 2014 and completed HUMINT Collector Basic course at Huachuca this June.

Now back to my regularly scheduled operations...
You should hi-lite those sections and then write in red marker "Liar" and send it back.
Old 23 June 2014, 13:10
Bland user

I had never looked for a job until I was in my early 40’s. My first self-written resume sucked. I just did not know what I was doing and I did not know how to promote myself. In fact, I came from a background where self-promotion was frowned upon and real accomplishment given respect.
This learning came hard for me. I read a number of books and generated a number of drafts. Eventually, I came out with an acceptable resume. Still, I had a hard time with self-promotion.

After a while I landed an interesting position working for two elderly brothers, one former White House Chief of Staff and the other a retired intelligence officer turned senior executive (think of the movie Trading Places).
Five years later, I knew it was time to move on. This time I hired a professional writer and it was well worth it. I obtained a very good job right away. It made all the difference in the world.

Some of the things I learned from the resume writers:
1. The first step is to plan out your campaign.
2. What are your objectives? Job, level, compensation etc.
3. Review your career in reverse chronological order.
3.1. Quantify your results and responsibilities with numbers. Improvements, percentages, dollars saved, budgets managed, etc. In my case, I generated spreadsheets for my last few jobs with all the numbers, improvements in dollars and percentages.
3.2. Responsibilities, Job titles etc
4. What are your key differentiators? Are you a proven leader? Great at data analysis? Marketing wiz? Well rounded? Strategic planner? What are your key attributes that set you apart and define your style?
5. Generate a list of key words that can be laced into your resume to be caught by resume word scanners. For example; Global competitive strategy, Operations management, Marketing strategy, Asia, China, Thailand, Eastern Europe, Start-up, Key account teams, etc.
6. You may want to set up some examples of situations along the lines of the SES Executive Core Quality statement: Challenge, Context, Action, and Result. It’s a very good way to show how you have dealt with situations and delivered the goods. I really like their format even as an exercise in defining some of your past wins and how they happened.

As you get more senior, the professional career consultant, resume writer, interview trainer etc. becomes more and more important. The resume writer will know how to work with a military background. You are up against some highly polished pros. They may have substantially less capability than you have and they very well may be self-centered douchbags but they know how to look good on paper and present themselves as brilliant managers. If you are on this board there is a high probability that you will be able to deliver authentic leadership and organizational improvement. That is something that is becoming rare in todays work world.

Our new posting rules