SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Closed Thread

Old 22 July 2018, 09:12
The Sagacious One

Kali Linux

I have a need for a Kali Linux box. Can I put this on a regular reformatted windows box? Anyone have experience with it? What is involved. I have a bunch of old but still useful desktops. Your assistance is appreciated. I thought I would ask for advice when I read "You need a Kali Linux Box to build a Kali Linux Box."
Old 22 July 2018, 10:09
BTDT

TFG, I'm out the door, so hopefully the other nerds will come along, but you should be able to download the latest ISO image for your (either) 64bit (newish) or 32bit (oldish) processor here:

https://www.kali.org/downloads/

Either burn it to CD/DVD or put it on a bootable USB (Unetbootin or MS bootable USB creator) - boot to it, and install as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Pn3EeKIYY

LUKS keyslot destruction/re-creation? Good man!
Old 22 July 2018, 11:17
Vivat Fraternitatis

You can run it on a Windows box running VirtualBox virtualization software, powered by the ISO image Poly linked above.
Old 22 July 2018, 11:24
Confirmed User

Or just install from ISO Image during boot - config BIOS and it will format the existing OS...
Old 22 July 2018, 15:11

Most Linux distributions (AKA distros) will run fine on any PC built in the last 15-20 years. Of course, better PC means better performance.

I was quite surprised by the advice you found, but I visited the official Kali site and think I can clarify. "Build" here refers to creating a new ISO, not installing a new system.

As everyone else has said, to install, download the ISO file burn it to a CD or USB drive, boot from that device, and follow the install prompts. I'm sure there's a basic install guide on the Kali site.

I don't use CDs much anymore. I much prefer USB drives. There is a utility called Rufus that does a fantastic job of burning the ISO to the device and making it bootable.

Most of my Linux instances run in virtual machines. I highly recommend that for convenience. If you have questions about how to do that, feel free to ask.

- RELeeNC
Old 22 July 2018, 15:12
The Sagacious One

So I downloaded the 64 bit version before I posted the thread. I am going to get a box, format the HD and then boot it to the CD or USB. So Once I do that I am guessing it will boot to the Kali image? I see from the video it has to have another system to get it to boot directly from the HD.
Old 22 July 2018, 17:03
Confirmed User

TFG,
If you are open to sharing what you want to do with Kali, it may impact how you install, boot and use it.

If it's for general scanning, testing, poking around, learning, etc. - booting direct from media will be fine.

If you are looking at any specialized scenarios (too many to list here), then you may want a more "permanent" implementation. One possible disadvantage of running direct from media is if you need to save anything. Make sure you mount some type of storage where you can save whatever it is you want to save.

Disclaimer: I have not actively used Kali in a few years. I am astounded how many tools are on the distro now... amazing.

Feel free to PM me if necessary.
Old 22 July 2018, 17:07
The Sagacious One

Its for my kids boyfriend to take classes with. I am in the process of trying to boot it from the USB.
Old 22 July 2018, 17:59
Confirmed User

Ok - then I assume he will need to save his work.

Consider installing Kali direct to the machine as a bootable partition. If that's not an option I know Kali - when running from USB - has a persistent storage option, which you have to select during boot. I have heard mixed message about the effectiveness of this option. Never used it myself. Even if this works, I would still mount some additional partition/device to save the work.
Old 22 July 2018, 18:12
The Sagacious One

I keep getting an error when trying to install from the USB, I don't have time to fuck with it tonight. Thanks guys, I will try again when I get back in the office and keep you posted.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:58
BTDT

The easiest (IMO), but unfortunately the slowest, method of install will be to create a bootable CD/DVD from the distro .iso using (my favorite) ImgBurn at http://www.imgburn.com/

Bootable USB will install faster, but you need to make sure to create a bootable USB with Rufus, UNetBootin, or the MS Bootable USB creator (which is probably the easiest to use): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

Obviously, point it at your Kali .iso. Also, you really only need the tool to create the bootable USB - once it does, the USB will always be bootable, so you can go into Windows explorer and delete everything and put other installable OS' on there and boot from it - SO SAVE THAT USB, IT COMES IN HANDY.

After that, you need to boot to it - USUALLY the F8 Key (Desktops) or F12 (Laptops) on most BIOS' will bring up a list of bootable drives, but YMMV and you'll have to look at BIOS screens, go into the BIOS (F2 or Delete, usually) check Google, etc...

Once you get to that screen shown in the video, it should be automatic - Linux will do everything else for you, you don't even need to worry about pre-partitioning/formatting, etc... it does it all. The only option I'd choose apart from the auto install, would be to encrypt the User Space - but that's it. Just make sure that everything on that disk is expendable. If not (Dual boot setup, etc... You *will* have to use a partition tool to create stuff - probably not your sitch, but best to mention just in case. Backup, Backup, Backup, Image, Image, Image

Also, I've only used Ubuntu, Mint, and Open SUSE, so Kali may be a touch different, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Polypro; 23 July 2018 at 09:49.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:19
Authorized Personnel

Without knowing your specific requirements, the best way to run Kali is via a VM on your existing box. It's simple and easy to do, and you don't need to mess with more than you need. I've been running Kali for years in a professional setting. The only other configuration I use is via USB. In rare instances, I use a boot disc.

Download VirtualBox (free)
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Download the VirtualBox version of Kali
https://www.offensive-security.com/k...mage-download/

Profit.
Old 24 July 2018, 17:22
BTDT

I've had good luck with the free VMPlayer as well. AAMOF, it worked great in one instance where I couldn't get VirtualBox to work at all.

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/...duct_downloads

Last edited by Polypro; 25 July 2018 at 06:57.
Old 26 July 2018, 06:46
I still think I'm fooling everyone

I used to run Kali solely in VMs apart from some onsite pentests where USB/DVD came in handy.
I didn't have any problems with VirtualBox. Hell, you can run it on HyperV too with good effects.

Never ran any debian distro including Kali on VMPlayer, however I heard only good things about that combo from people who did.
Old 8 August 2018, 16:41
The Sagacious One

So nothing is working. If someone wants to talk me through this, please PM me your number and a time to call. Being here on my phone doesn't help. Thanks

It's one "you have to have this first" after another.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 8 August 2018 at 16:47.
Old 8 August 2018, 16:54

On it! PM inbound
Old 20 August 2018, 18:52

I run kali in vmware, "offensive-security" has builds that easily boot on virtual. But usually you need an separate wireless card, perfectly one supported by pen-testing programs. Such as the Alfa AWUSO36NH.
Old 20 August 2018, 19:01
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppNasty View Post
On it! PM inbound
I am going to try and get back on this tomorrow. I have the WIN 32 make a bootable drive app and when I try to load the kali iso on it, I get an error stating that it isn't a functional .iso.
Old 20 August 2018, 19:53
Confirmed User

Although I am working on a Cyber Security BS I am not a computer nerd. For college I ran Kali in Oracle VM VirtualBox. IMO that is the easiest way to go. If I can do it, I am sure you can too.

x/S
Old 5 September 2018, 09:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
The easiest (IMO), but unfortunately the slowest, method of install will be to create a bootable CD/DVD from the distro .iso using (my favorite) ImgBurn at http://www.imgburn.com/

Bootable USB will install faster, but you need to make sure to create a bootable USB with Rufus, UNetBootin, or the MS Bootable USB creator (which is probably the easiest to use): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

Obviously, point it at your Kali .iso. Also, you really only need the tool to create the bootable USB - once it does, the USB will always be bootable, so you can go into Windows explorer and delete everything and put other installable OS' on there and boot from it - SO SAVE THAT USB, IT COMES IN HANDY.

After that, you need to boot to it - USUALLY the F8 Key (Desktops) or F12 (Laptops) on most BIOS' will bring up a list of bootable drives, but YMMV and you'll have to look at BIOS screens, go into the BIOS (F2 or Delete, usually) check Google, etc...

Once you get to that screen shown in the video, it should be automatic - Linux will do everything else for you, you don't even need to worry about pre-partitioning/formatting, etc... it does it all. The only option I'd choose apart from the auto install, would be to encrypt the User Space - but that's it. Just make sure that everything on that disk is expendable. If not (Dual boot setup, etc... You *will* have to use a partition tool to create stuff - probably not your sitch, but best to mention just in case. Backup, Backup, Backup, Image, Image, Image

Also, I've only used Ubuntu, Mint, and Open SUSE, so Kali may be a touch different, but I doubt it.
Here's the winner.

I finally had some time to sit down and work on this with no interruptions. I think that WIN 10 may have played a role in it as well. We got it installed and booted just fine yesterday, monitors attached and tested.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this.

Our new posting rules