SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 4 June 2020, 11:25
Authorized Personnel

General Inquiry: Expeditions

Has anyone here planned and executed an expedition into some cool place, like the Amazon rainforest, or South Pole, etc...? I am not looking for an option where I pay top-dollar for some firm to hot-drop me in where I can take some selfies, then jet out. Looking to legitimately spend some time and effort going places to explore, and would love to learn from others here.
Old 4 June 2020, 11:29
Involuntary Yoga Guy

This could be interesting.
I’ve done one in Brazil. Exhausting and amazing. Worth the effort. Much like a good hunting trip.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 4 June 2020, 11:36
Been There Done That

I have planned and executed a few of them.

PM me your questions if you have them. I'm out of that end of the work now but have experience that might help you evaluate whomever you choose...

Reader's Digest advice - Look at someone's expidition planning as a 5 paragraph OPORD and see if they have ALL the contingencies of Class I - 9 detailed in the Sevice Support section. If they don't have a plan for shit going pear shaped (medical - evac - civil unrest - etc) then find someone else... Just becasue they've gotten away with doing expiditions to Everest for 10 years does NOT mean they're good - it may just mean they're lucky...
Old 4 June 2020, 11:38
Russian Tycoon

I have always dreamed of joining one of the National Geographic Expeditions. My Godmother works for the magazine and according to her colleagues who have gone or led the expeditions, they are a real deal: you are not going to be "babied" and you will learn a lot.
Old 4 June 2020, 12:20
been ***** **** that

It is cool that there is still a bit of explorer, first tracks type stuff in all of us! There are many rivers that I would still love to raft, but at this stage of game, mostly dream of it! I have always admired this gal I knew in the high country many years ago, Melanie Stephens. She was a very adept photographer back when I was on ski patrol. She had her own gallery in Winter Park,Co and went on several expeditions filming her " Women of War" segment. She is somewhat of an activist on environmental and female concerns, and while I probably do not always agree with her politics, I can't help admire her tenacity and talent!
Old 4 June 2020, 12:42
Red Headed Stepchild

I really want to do a motorcycle trip across Afghanistan before I kick it. I think it would have been doable until about 2008.

Beautiful country IMO minus the shitheads.
Old 4 June 2020, 13:03
exquisitus asinus

South Africa, once you get out of Jo'berg is a pretty cool place to do a walkabout... I particularly like the area in the north along the Botswana border.. Lots of cool things to see.. and you can live as rough (tents and packs) or as comfortable (lots of camps are no shit 5 star outfits) as you like..

I've talked to the wife about the possibility of spending a couple of weeks just tooling around Southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana in particular.. maybe go as far north as Zambia).. and checking out the different flora, fauna, etc..

There are still some really cool wild places left in the US as well.. I've also thought about a couple of weeks in Alaska far away from the cities...

While not really an "expedition".. there are some great places in Southern Colorado where you can arrange to be truly off the grid and completely away from other people and spend time "exploring"... we've got a little place about 15 miles from Ft. Garland that is no shit several miles from the next closest human... Every time I go out there I discover something new (new to me at least) or have a new experience that I've never had before.. whether is some crazy fossil, or a weird boulder with cool mineral deposits all over it, or have an elk walk out of the woodline just 50 feet away, etc..
Old 4 June 2020, 13:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I really want to do a motorcycle trip across Afghanistan before I kick it. I think it would have been doable until about 2008.

I'm huge into adventuring riding. Part of this is also testing the feasibility of doing it on two-wheels. There's so many great places to go if only there weren't some war or mucked up government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
There are still some really cool wild places left in the US as well.. I've also thought about a couple of weeks in Alaska far away from the cities...
Most definitely.
Old 4 June 2020, 14:00
Vivat Fraternitatis

I've wanted to head down to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego forever.
Old 4 June 2020, 14:14
Embrace the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

Shit man, I did the cross Afghanistan trek on a Polaris ATV, lol for real lol. In all seriousness, it is mostly a stunningly beautiful country and I would love to do that if I had money and time and well, didn't want to get blown up by some 1970's land mine. The trip from Kabul up to the far North end of Badakhshan to Tajikstan is incredible in the late Spring/Summer. Just gorgeous, I'd do that trip and leave the Southern part which is not nearly as scenic. Lets go!
Old 4 June 2020, 14:14
been ***** **** that

I read an article a few years back about these 3 vets,iirc, that rode their bikes from the US all the way down to Patagonia, etc. Some of the most challenging time was a remote stretch before Columbia, I think. Pretty cool trip!
Old 4 June 2020, 14:35
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I read an article a few years back about these 3 vets,iirc, that rode their bikes from the US all the way down to Patagonia, etc. Some of the most challenging time was a remote stretch before Columbia, I think. Pretty cool trip!
The Darien Gap has no roads and in fact very few documented land crossings. Unlikely they crossed that portion and instead probably took a ferry.
Old 4 June 2020, 15:15
been ***** **** that

The Hard Way Down, Army Vets cross dangerous Darien Gap on KLR's.....don't have the link and am too stupid to post it if I did. This is not the article I read , and can't remember where I read it. From the Arctic Circle to the end of South America.....pretty cool! 4 paratroopers, three made it!
Old 4 June 2020, 16:07
Authorized Personnel

Fun read: https://www.advpulse.com/adv-rides/m...he-darien-gap/. My current adventure bike would be way too big to take
Old 4 June 2020, 16:17
Been There Done That

Dbl tap.
Old 4 June 2020, 16:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
I've wanted to head down to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego forever.
I've done a lot of homework on sailing down there. If the right boat pops up for sale it's happening.
Old 4 June 2020, 19:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

Did Havasupai, AZ a while back. While kind of sad to see, the village itself was very much like walking through any third world town. No roads access the village, which takes about 13 miles of hiking down into the Grand Canyon.
Old 4 June 2020, 19:53
Red Headed Stepchild

One of the younger guys in my squadron took 6 months off and rode from Anchorage to Tierra del Fuego a few years back. Not envious much but I envied him that one. Maybe when I'm all the way retired
Old 4 June 2020, 19:55
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmcd82 View Post
Shit man, I did the cross Afghanistan trek on a Polaris ATV, lol for real lol. In all seriousness, it is mostly a stunningly beautiful country and I would love to do that if I had money and time and well, didn't want to get blown up by some 1970's land mine. The trip from Kabul up to the far North end of Badakhshan to Tajikstan is incredible in the late Spring/Summer. Just gorgeous, I'd do that trip and leave the Southern part which is not nearly as scenic. Lets go!
Not even kidding. Agreed about the southern part.
Old 4 June 2020, 20:32
Adding Chlorine

Some friends did the Argentina/Antartica cruise in the last year. The pictures looked like a great time with a few days on the ice. If you want I can ask who they used?

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS

Our new posting rules