SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 5 September 2019, 10:38
Authorized Personnel

Insider Threats should be your org's biggest concern

I've given presentations and talks at various conferences covering topics surrounding insider threats and social engineering that are married to technical capability. This article highlights why I always say it's the biggest threat when someone asks.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ware-doj-says/

TL:DR
AT&T workers took over $1 million to unlock millions of cell phones and install malware.
Old 5 September 2019, 16:42
giving you a number

HUMINT and the irresistible lure of money still wins.

Who woulda thought...
Old 6 September 2019, 12:02
BTDT

Crocodile tears from me. The US cell phone landscape is one big, giant, rip-off to customers. Combine that with the fact that the companies spy on you for themselves and others, and give up/sell your data on a whim - boohoo.

Yup, I get it - "then don't use a cell phone, no one is making you" and "there's a law and he/they broke it" - agree on both counts.

Still: Boohoo

Oh yeah, this could have been insiders doing anything else - what are all these "privacy nuts" on about? LOL
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 6 September 2019, 23:22
Been There Done That

The one thing that always killed me was when you have an IT person turn in a two week notice. My theory is to go ahead and cut them out and let them leave. You are giving them 2 weeks to do what ever they want to do.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 8 September 2019, 11:42
Confirmed User

Are any of the big companies establishing insider threat programs, similar to .gov? Given a few high profile incidents (Apple, Uber, Amazon) I imagine a lot of the Fortune 500 would do so, if they haven't already.
Old 8 September 2019, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
Are any of the big companies establishing insider threat programs, similar to .gov? Given a few high profile incidents (Apple, Uber, Amazon) I imagine a lot of the Fortune 500 would do so, if they haven't already.
Some of the major oil companies started addressing it at least 15 years ago both in the areas of corporate espionage and computer sabotage.
Old 9 September 2019, 10:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
In a lot of public tech firms, insider threat programs are fairly mature. There's also better ways to manage access to sensitive data in the first place, but that's an entirely new thread. I'm willing to write it up, if someone would find value in it. It maps parallel to combating insider threat activities.
Old 9 September 2019, 15:00
Confirmed User

Where I work we have a fairly robust and mature Insider Threat program and set of capabilities. That team works hand-in-hand with our cyber threat intel and counter-intel teams. From a certain point of view - especially for larger, highly targeted orgs - almost all threats can eventually be distilled down to insider threat.
Old 9 September 2019, 15:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
almost all threats can eventually be distilled down to insider threat.
The moment anyone gains access to valid access credentials is the moment they need to be considered an insider.

Understanding that really changed our senior executive team's viewpoint on an insider threat program.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Our new posting rules