SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 8 September 2019, 22:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
...A female is getting her ass beat without help or her shooting the guy.
And that's why this thread is going nowhere much like the females in infantry related fields. They aren't prepared for it, but they are there. So, this can be argued till we run out of bandwidth and nothing will be accomplished.
Old 9 September 2019, 02:31
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
What’s the kangaroo to person ratio in that patrol area
Depends on how many I ran over or shot on that particular day.

Quote:
We aren't talking about men. We're talking about the inherent disadvantage of being female. It's a toss up for a man. A female is getting her ass beat without help or her shooting the guy.
Sigh...you're saying that gender is more important than mindset.

I'm disagreeing with you.

Let's leave it at that.
Old 9 September 2019, 07:06
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Just before I retired there was a Sgt. encouraging people to hop onto a new BJJ/MMA thing that opened in my city. There are about 5 or 6 new female officers who I'm pretty sure have never scuffled in real life with anyone (except one who has learned well on the job). He was politely encouraging them to join in. Only two have.

One girl, who's the same age as my oldest daughter, asked me if I thought she should. I asked her straight up "do you honestly think you can take me?". Keeping in mind I'm 55 years old with a bum hip, not a 20 y/o gang banger or some EDP who's gone manic. I don't know if she signed up but I think she got the point.

There is a place for women in LE. I truly believe that and I've worked with some exceptions officers and detectives. But they do not stress this aspect enough to them.

Police academy training in this area is marginal, at least in Massachusetts. The State Police are the last ones to box in the academy and I think they even toned that down.

We just did some training at the range that required the officers to sprint 75 yards and then grapple with a BJJ guy we brought in for about45 seconds. The goal was to get him cuffed. After that ended they had to go to the firing line and fire 15 rounds at 20 feet into a B8 target. 5 rounds strong/5 rounds weak/5rounds both hands. It was an eye opener to us all about how out of shape we were even though many of us go to the gym.
Old 9 September 2019, 07:31
Confirmed User

Training seems to be a constant that is needed.. Too many people either dont have time to train, be in better shape, shoot better etc.
Old 9 September 2019, 09:06
Another pool cleaner

I think I'm in good shape at mid 50's.

Took down a psychotic teenager with a modified full nelson

I thought I was gonna have a coronary.

I don't know how you LEO's do this shit on a daily basis.

Kudos to you that answer the call.
Old 9 September 2019, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Took down a psychotic teenager with a modified full nelson

I thought I was gonna have a coronary.
You know, there are probably meds in your Pyxis for this.

Agree, though, the more I read here, and pay attention to just day-to-day, the more I respect how hard it has to be to do the LE job well.
DaveP
Old 9 September 2019, 14:02
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
We just did some training at the range that required the officers to sprint 75 yards and then grapple with a BJJ guy we brought in for about45 seconds. The goal was to get him cuffed. After that ended they had to go to the firing line and fire 15 rounds at 20 feet into a B8 target. 5 rounds strong/5 rounds weak/5rounds both hands. It was an eye opener to us all about how out of shape we were even though many of us go to the gym.
That or something similar should be part of every qual day.
Old 9 September 2019, 17:16
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
It's not a gender issue. It's a TRAINING and MINDSET issue.

Age, gender, religion, nationality, are all irrelevant if you have the right/wrong training and mindset.
Quote:
Gonna have to disagree. She had the problem of being both physically incapable and having what was previously described as "Barbie cop" mindset.

Her Instagram followers didn't save her ass. Actual cops did. She would do well to remember that, and decide which she's going to be (cop or a "look-at-me"), then realign her priorities accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post

Sigh...you're saying that gender is more important than mindset.

I'm disagreeing with you.

Let's leave it at that.
No idea where you're getting that from. Of course mindset is important for both men and women. But gender is an additional problem for females, because they are by and large incapable- with or without the proper mindset- of doing more than hanging on for dear life while waiting for backup, while arresting a "resisting" male. When dealing with a "MF-er who ain't going back to jail" and is willing to FIGHT (not resist, but fight), a female is getting hurt. Absent a chance to use tools (taser, firearm, etc), she's getting her ass whipped.

Gender, with or without mindset, is an issue.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 9 September 2019, 19:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
I like this.
Old 9 September 2019, 19:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
...It was an eye opener to us all about how out of shape we were even though many of us go to the gym.
That's when a lot of people realize they don't put near enough energy into cardio....
Old 9 September 2019, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
That's when a lot of people realize they don't put near enough energy into cardio....
Anything over 6 reps is cardio, right?
Old 9 September 2019, 19:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpaws View Post
Anything over 6 reps is cardio, right?
Depends on if you are on your knees or not for push-ups and kipping in order to get your first five pull-ups....
Old 9 September 2019, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Depends on if you are on your knees or not for push-ups and kipping in order to get your first five pull-ups....
Yeesh. I’ve got some work to do

Our new posting rules