SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 June 2019, 20:44

Ruger LCRx, .22 wmr

I recently went looking for a home/carry handgun for the missus, as she is out on her own for a bit trying to decide if she wants to be the ex.

Doubting she would put the time into semi-auto usage drills, and with her main firearm experience being cowboy mounted shooting, a revolver made sense, but she's used to .45LC blanks at balloons (albeit on 1200# of meat with a brain the size of a lima bean, so pretty ballsy...) and is not especially good with recoil. After some poking around, I landed on .22mag and that took me to the LCRx.

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/models.html

1. Small, light, easy to carry.
2. SA and DA.
3. Reviews suggested minimal recoil, good ergos = reasonable accuracy.
4. Many options for upgrading caliber if desired; and/or transition to J-frame S&W.

We took it out today and put 100 through it, and I really liked it and she did well with it.
Almost absent recoil when you're paying attention; loud enough, though.
DA pull was not nearly as bad as some have complained, and is pretty smooth even out of the box; with small/weaker hands, she would pull her shots until I got her to stack it a bit.
SA is extremely nice (IMO) - short travel and weight in a sweet spot.
Thumbing the hammer is a little work - I know squat about revolvers, but this hammer is small, set forward, and the spring weight is heavy, presumably for rimfire primers. Strong hand was not working for her even if she broke her grip, and she's used to shooting one-handed, but we found a two-hand that gave good stability and grouping and allowed her weak side to thumb on and off.
We shot from 7yds, singles, double-tap and full cylinder; mixed empty cases in to get her used to light strikes; need to work on decocking more.

Given its intended employment, I'm pretty pleased.
And if in the future things go south and I end up with a bunch of a certain caliber in the pelvic girdle, this post will serve as part of the evidence trail.

I'd also consider this a reasonable pack rig for a get-home bag, camping, etc, although I would go out of my way to get one with a 3" barrel vs the snub.

DaveP
Old 8 June 2019, 20:54
Authorized Personnel

Is there a particular reason as to why you would not consider a G43 for her? (Just curious as to the deciding factors) A .22 is fine, but personally, I wouldn't go with anything under a 9mm unless she really isn't comfortable with it. Most of the time, the purpose of the gun is to serve as a "get off of me" weapon and I would have rather her have a 9mm (as I would my wife), but that's just my opinion. The G43 really has limited recoil and is small enough to allow women to get a good grip on it.

Regardless of my opinion, if she is happy with the .22 and likes to practice with it, that's all that really matters in the end.

Last edited by Mars; 8 June 2019 at 21:02.
Old 8 June 2019, 21:14
Confirmed User

I also think the Sig P365 is very nice. My 18 year old daughter held both and liked the 365 better, not much better, than the G43.
My wife uses a 238 Sig.
My MIL, 76 years old just used an Ruger LCR in 22 at gun range for ladys night. She loved it..
Old 8 June 2019, 21:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
...My MIL, 76 years old just used an Ruger LCR in 22 at gun range for ladys night. She loved it..
Very nice indeed! Never too old to enjoy a good day at the range!
Old 8 June 2019, 21:37
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Is there a particular reason as to why you would not consider a G43 for her? (Just curious as to the deciding factors) A .22 is fine, but personally, I wouldn't go with anything under a 9mm unless she really isn't comfortable with it. Most of the time, the purpose of the gun is to serve as a "get off of me" weapon and I would have rather her have a 9mm (as I would my wife), but that's just my opinion. The G43 really has limited recoil and is small enough to allow women to get a good grip on it.

Regardless of my opinion, if she is happy with the .22 and likes to practice with it, that's all that really matters in the end.
And see, I'm headed the other way. My wife chose her SR 9mm Ruger. But I've talked up the SR 22 as an alt choice for her to try. All I care about is her being Ferocious when/if she pulls the damn thing and put bullets on target not worried about recoil/noise, which she still seems to struggle with Psychologically.

Its another reason I bought her a Walther Pellet pistol to learn to point-n-shoot, not aim.
Shes doing pretty well with that, but needs more time.

She just cannot seem to stop the eye squinting on her regular piece. With point and shoot, she never aims, so never squints, la.
Old 8 June 2019, 22:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
And see, I'm headed the other way. My wife chose her SR 9mm Ruger. But I've talked up the SR 22 as an alt choice for her to try. All I care about is her being Ferocious when/if she pulls the damn thing and put bullets on target not worried about recoil/noise, which she still seems to struggle with Psychologically.

Its another reason I bought her a Walther Pellet pistol to learn to point-n-shoot, not aim.
Shes doing pretty well with that, but needs more time.

She just cannot seem to stop the eye squinting on her regular piece. With point and shoot, she never aims, so never squints, la.
Make a good holster for the Ruger LCR?
Old 8 June 2019, 22:19
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Make a good holster for the Ruger LCR?
Yes sir. Several in both barrel sizes, And the X too. Nice sized weapon and alt to the j-frame.
Old 8 June 2019, 22:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Believe me, I get it. In the end, it's truly about bullet placement. I, would just rather put 10 9mm rounds in someone's chest, stomach, or head than 10 .22 rounds, but to each their own. I'm just glad they are wanting to get one, train with it, and subsequently carry it.
Old 8 June 2019, 22:24
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Believe me, I get it. In the end, it's truly about bullet placement. I, would just rather put 10 9mm rounds in someone's chest, stomach, or head than 10 .22 rounds, but to each their own. I'm just glad they are wanting to get one, train with it, and subsequently carry it.
#metoo

I blame @sixgun. . .and Blackjack78 and and . . .hahaa!
Old 8 June 2019, 22:44
The Sagacious One

I always say that you don't pick her shoes, don't pick their guns. If she genuinely likes this one, then that's great. I have recently become infatuated with the 22 WMR I too am looking for 22 WMR for my wife, but I can never get her to go to the LGS let along our personal pistol range. She is a bit odd in that she hates to shop, even for her own cars. I still want her to pick her pistol.
Old 9 June 2019, 07:18
Been There Done That

I would like to see the man who is shot three times in the face or chest with a .22wmr, that keeps on attacking.
Old 9 June 2019, 07:28
Shakin' the bush Boss

.22 is not ideal, but it's better than a fist or a rape whistle. I agree with LP, put a few in the dude's pumphouse and he'll be thinking twice about his course of action.

And not to go full on nerd glasses, but a .22WMR at the muzzle carries a touch north of 300ft/lb of energy and a 9mm is only plus/minus 400.
Old 9 June 2019, 07:41

Quote:
My MIL, 76 years old just used an Ruger LCR in 22 at gun range for ladys night. She loved it..
And now Steve40th is calling me an old lady!

Mars, my expectation is she is not going to practice or even cycle whatever she has without regular encouragement from me, which is somewhat dependent on how this crossroads progresses. This is likely to sit for extended periods, which raises tiny concerns about mag springs, but mainly in whether she will put the work in to stoppage drills, etc that I would consider necessary for reliance on a semi-auto.
That being said, she has been exposed to single-stack and full sized 9mm and .40 platforms (XDs, XDM, PX4, PCR and SP-01, among others) and recoil tolerance and management were the biggest decision drivers. None felt comfortable to her.

As stated, this may be a step in the long-game plan to get to a more 'appropriate' caliber, likely also looking into a slightly heavier frame. But revolvers clearly seem a better fit for her.

TFG, I may be able to help; will send a PM.

DaveP
Old 9 June 2019, 07:57
Authorized Personnel

My wife was a lot more comfortable shooting after we improved ear protection.
Old 9 June 2019, 09:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
And now Steve40th is calling me an old lady!

DaveP
You got me all wrong DaveP... Nothing of the sort.
Old 10 June 2019, 14:08

^^
No worries, Steve! I knew what ya meant...

DaveP
Old 10 June 2019, 23:25
Been There Done That

Same boat here. Spouse unit is terrified of about all firearms. Especially handguns. I can seem to get her comfortable with anything except a .22 mag and I love the round myself. Good for my arch nemesis, the crow. Who thinks he's good to go cause he's outta shotgun range. I'll take a look at this and let her fire a few rds.

Plus it will give me leverage when I get the CMR/PMR 30 combo. Since it's the same caliber and all.

Karl Childers
Old 12 June 2019, 10:26
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
.22 is not ideal, but it's better than a fist or a rape whistle. I agree with LP, put a few in the dude's pumphouse and he'll be thinking twice about his course of action.

And not to go full on nerd glasses, but a .22WMR at the muzzle carries a touch north of 300ft/lb of energy and a 9mm is only plus/minus 400.
Nope, the 22WMR is only a little better than the 22LR when fired from a pistol length barrel, but better enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkp2m6ZuIc

I thought the guy who does this series of y-tube videos does a nice job with them. I think it's worth watching the entire string.

Many new shooters react to blast/noise more than actual recoil, if you can get them habituated to that, it goes a long way towards addressing the other issues. Yeah, a suppressed Keltec 22Mag or Ruger Mk1-2-3-4 seems awful assassination tool, but they're super easy to shoot reasonably well. And it's a good excuse to bribe the wife unit to allow you to buy a can. Silencershop has a sale going, $99 bucks(plus the stamp) for a 22LR Sig or AAC can when you buy one of their 308 cans. So 2x AAC cans for under 1000, or just over 1000 for the Sigs. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 12 June 2019, 11:20
Confirmed User

Dont allot of people flinch due to watching the hammer fall on a pistol?
I hear striker fired pistols reduce some of this flinching people do.
Old 13 June 2019, 11:18
Old Scroll

HH6 has had a G19 for many years, but is increasingly becoming more a fan of my Ruger LCR in .38. Issue is hand strength and confidence in accurate / sure slide manipulation.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Our new posting rules