SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 June 2019, 00:24
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Why am I always the one that has to mention thermite and/or tannerite?
Because you beat me to it. An excuse to blow shit up.....

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 13 June 2019, 09:27
Confirmed User

I apologize in advance, but I can't read/hear the term "Rhode Island Reds" without thinking of this scene from the Rob Zombie move "The Devil's Rejects"

***Strong language warning***

https://youtu.be/Mgnh1zg7ULI

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke
Old 13 June 2019, 16:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
They are 70-80 foot white oaks. The problem is that you cant get a logger around here to do anything with only 7-8 acres. Not enough money in it for them on only 7-8 acres. Most of the trees are long and straight but only 12" or so in diameter.
You might check at a local sawmill to find the number of a small time logger/pulp wood operation. They would probably be willing to do it.
Old 13 June 2019, 22:47
Been There Done That

I bought 15, 3 day old chicks at Tractor Supply real early in the year when they 1st came out. I kept them in a heated area until they were big enough to go outside. They're pretty big now and follow me around like the pied piper. I'm down to 9 but they're doing well. I lost 2 to the swim test, 2 LOM's, 1 to what I think was a code red and 1 FTR.

They free range and grass feed. They have a thicket close by when the hawks are flying sorties.

I gotta get a few more hens already laying until my Replacement Detachment is ready for assignment. My few remaining hens are so broody all they want to do is sit.

Karl Childers
Old 14 June 2019, 19:25
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I bought 15, 3 day old chicks at Tractor Supply real early in the year when they 1st came out. I kept them in a heated area until they were big enough to go outside. They're pretty big now and follow me around like the pied piper. I'm down to 9 but they're doing well. I lost 2 to the swim test, 2 LOM's, 1 to what I think was a code red and 1 FTR.

They free range and grass feed. They have a thicket close by when the hawks are flying sorties.

I gotta get a few more hens already laying until my Replacement Detachment is ready for assignment. My few remaining hens are so broody all they want to do is sit.
Good to hear 1RS...I got 6 Rhode Island Reds and all are standing tall. They freerange during the day and put a hurt on the worms, bugs etc. I suspect they will be laying in September or so. I have not encountered any hawks, foxes etc...but I am sure they will be lurking soon.

Our new posting rules