SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 12 June 2019, 03:58

Currently reading Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators and Assassins by Annie Jacobson.

Many interviews with Billy Waugh provide much of the body of this book. I am finding it to be quite average and the writing style is plodding in spots.

Next up is Guardian: Life in the Crosshairs of the CIA's War on Terror by Tom Pecora, about a guy assigned to provide security for CIA operations overseas. I've just skimmed through it, but it looks pretty good.

On deck is Masters of Mayhem: Lawrence of Arabia and the British Military Mission to the Hejaz by Jane Stejskal. I've always been really interested in that part of World War I.
Old 13 June 2019, 11:26
Old Scroll

Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison. This book was the basis for Soylent Green.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gotta say that the book is NOTHING like the movie. They are completely different, but then again, how often is that the case between books and their movies?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old Yesterday, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8822 View Post
Currently reading Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators and Assassins by Annie Jacobson.

Many interviews with Billy Waugh provide much of the body of this book. I am finding it to be quite average and the writing style is plodding in spots.

Next up is Guardian: Life in the Crosshairs of the CIA's War on Terror by Tom Pecora, about a guy assigned to provide security for CIA operations overseas. I've just skimmed through it, but it looks pretty good.

On deck is Masters of Mayhem: Lawrence of Arabia and the British Military Mission to the Hejaz by Jane Stejskal. I've always been really interested in that part of World War I.

I just started annie jacobsen's book as well. It is badass to say the least.

The book "the subtle art of not giving a fuck" is one of my favorite books to get back on track, and i just got his new book "everything is fucked" that I'm looking forward to reading as well.
Old Yesterday, 13:50
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post

...The book "the subtle art of not giving a fuck" is one of my favorite books to get back on track, and i just got his new book "everything is fucked" that I'm looking forward to reading as well.
Great books. Mark Manson is an interesting guy...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Our new posting rules